Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: The Wrestling Thread

by RCBH928 Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:34 am

@Markies

You are right about the creative control thing and how its different now that the older wrestlers are willing to work with the younger ones. But we do have some similarities, for example some older wrestlers on the AEW roster joined to be in the spotlight like CM Punk ('99 Debut) Moxley ('04 debut) and Bryan Danielson ('99 debut) . These near 40 year old stars are in similar position(and age) of Macho Man and Hogan in 1997 , and are not there to be fodder for the new comers. In addition, people look at Hall and Nash not allowing new talents to take over in 1997 but in reality both Hall and Nash career's were shorter at that time than the wrestler's mentioned above so in a way CM Punk and Moxley are kind of in a worse position given they are older and still taking the top spot.

Plus, WCW did give some chance for younger talent (or other wrestlers) they had their cruiser weight wrestlers , tag teams like Public Enemy, DDP, Raven , and of course Goldberg. Its just the roster had so much stars it was a mess who to put in the spotlight and which story lines to concentrate on.

---

I am not sure what HHH did with NXT I didn't watch but I heard people were happy about it so I am not sure why Vince is so upset by it. Vince is a winner and not a loser, he believes being nice doesn't take you far and I can't argue with that. I can see how being nice did not help around with Dixie Carter and TNA which I believe was being pushed around. I also think HHH is responsible for the RAW/Smackdown and WWE in general which I see as a really bad and boring product , so if VInce is upset about that I can forgive him.

My own Judgement tells me that WWE will fall after the eventual demise of Vince. Vince built it from 0 and it will go down with him. I see Shane and Stephanie fighting over control and I see this publicly traded company investors trying to suck as much money out of it which will lead to a horrible commercial product ending up being what WCW was with their Robocop and WWF's Gobbledy Gooker .
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:19 pm

Wow. Tony Kahn making news once again

https://mobsports.com/wwe/tony-khan-has ... o-library/

RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:11 am

interesting...
I do not see how this will benefit AEW , I am pretty sure they hardly will make money on any of the video library as ROH fans are extremely rare. I think many people are not aware that ROH even exists. My only guess is that he wants to buy the roots of his company to combine it and make it one company to say AEW like started 17 years ago.

TNA library sounds more sound to buy as it has a lot of world famous wrestlers like Hogan, Flair, Sting, and WWE does not own that.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:58 am

One thing I love about AEW pay per views, they really let everyone go all out. It feels like every match is given plenty of time and the wrestlers are allowed to just do whatever they want. You end up with shows that are loaded with good matches and worth the money, like last weekend's Revolution pay per view. It's like every person on the program is trying to steal the show. Some people complain that the show's run a bit long, but I'm not gonna complain if I pay to go to a high quality restaurant and I'm given more excellent food than I have room for in my stomach. That restaurant is going to get my business again

In addition to all the great matches, we often get debuts and surprises too. When AEW started, people complained about the high price of pay per views. I don't hear anyone making that complaint anymore. You get what you pay for. High price for high quality

RCBH928 wrote:interesting...
I do not see how this will benefit AEW , I am pretty sure they hardly will make money on any of the video library as ROH fans are extremely rare. I think many people are not aware that ROH even exists. My only guess is that he wants to buy the roots of his company to combine it and make it one company to say AEW like started 17 years ago.

TNA library sounds more sound to buy as it has a lot of world famous wrestlers like Hogan, Flair, Sting, and WWE does not own that.

Tony Kahn seems to be a legit wrestling fan. I think that's the only motivation behind this. ROH is a big part of wrestling history. Many of the top stars of today in both AEW and WWE got started in ROH. In fact, WWE just hired Rok-C who was the first ever women's champion in ROH. If nothing else, ROH was always a place that could provide good talent for bigger companies.

Also, remember that ROH was integral in the creation of AEW. AEW's first true pay per view was a collaboration with ROH. This was before AEW was officially a company, but that pay per view proved to them that they had what it took to run an actual wrestling company and is regarded by most people as an unofficial AEW pay per view and ROH (and to some extant NJPW as well) helped make it happen. One could argue that AEW owes them one. So with ROH seemingly falling on hard times, Tony Kahn buying it makes sense.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:28 pm

$50 is not expensive (to me it is) , but I think that was the price historically. I just checked and it used to be $30 in late 90s but $50 is fixed for inflation and WWE is still at $45. Do people get to keep the Pay Per View afterwards? I feel like its a bad deal back then to pay for the PPV but not get the physical copy to watch whenever you want later on or keep in your library.

It super expensive though when you consider that WWE network is only $10 and you get the PPV and so much more. Its a similar situation when Netflix AND Hulu is like $20/month meanwhile one new movie release is $30 to buy.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

by JoeAwesome Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:52 pm

Lulz, Tony Khan didn’t buy ROH out of the goodness of his heart.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:47 am

It's starting to feel like Tony Kahn has his hands in everything pro wrestling that isn't WWE

Supposedly WWE had interest at one point in working with New Japan Pro Wrestling, the biggest wrestling company in Japan, but apparently they chose AEW instead

So we're getting an All Elite Wrestling/New Japan Pro Wrestling joint pay per view in June, but before that, we have a big pay per view next month with a big main event

Good time to be a wrestling fan, and relevant to this site they've confirmed that they've been working on an AEW video game for quite some time now

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2022/ ... this-year/

I have to say, while I generally avoid all things WWE these days, it is kind of cool that Stone Cold Steven Austin came out of retirement for one last match at Wrestlemania. Too bad his appearance was tainted a bit by an absolutely horrible looking stunner he did on Vince McMahon, who completely botched taking that move. Vince is ooooooooooooooooooolllllllddddd. He can't do this stuff anymore

Mic Foley's reaction :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/WNQPpnwO8wg
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:28 am

It's always funny to see Tony Khan talked about in a positive light considering what a shower the Jags and Fulham usually are. "Doing a Fulham" has become a derogatory term for a club that spunks a bunch of money without a clear plan. Success is easier to come by in a """""sport"""" where the result is fixed.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sun May 01, 2022 12:55 pm

was wrestlemania worth watching or was it a boring ?
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:04 am

I've soured a bit on CM Punk recently due to some of his real life antics rubbing me the wrong way, as well as something he did on an AEW show not long ago. I'm NOT happy that he is the new AEW champion, especially after the embarrassing botches he had in his title match with The Hangman. Paige has had incredible matches during his title run, and this was probably his worst one and that's entirely because Punk couldn't carry through on his end. He tried to use Paige's finisher against him and botched it TWICE. That wasn't his only slip ups either

I actually didn't order the pay per view this Sunday because I didn't want to see Punk win the title. I found...other ways of watching it. First AEW pay per view I didn't spend money on

And since I'm talking about Punk, Tony Kahn is not ingratiating himself to people. In response to a reporter criticizing CM Punk, Tony went off on a wild crazy rant, dropping F bombs and acting like CM Punk was the greatest star in the history of pro wrestling. It was truly bizarre. He also had a weird social media post weeks ago claiming than anyone on the internet who criticizes AEW is just a bot. Dude's losing it. He needs to get some sleep or lay off the cocaine. I'm pretty sure Punk will have little effect on the ratings now that he's champ. He's lost some of his luster quite honestly and I wouldn't have said this months ago, but I don't think him as champ is a good look for AEW right now. Anyways, here's Kahn's crazy rant. He sounds like such a mark.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/nuYCmOJFgWI

So the MJF situation is fascinating. After Cody Rhodes recently left AEW for WWE (where he is being treated like a big star so far), now MJF is apparently not happy in AEW and seems to have a bone to pick with Tony Kahn. Reportedly, MJF no showed an AEW meet and greet event, and nearly no showed their biggest pay per view of the year this past Sunday. He literally arrived at the arena at the last possible minute, prompting a "He showed up!" chant from the crowd during his match. Some view MJF as the best heel in AEW and someone who'd be a hot free agent if he left the company, but he is still under contract.

He's been part of one of the best angles in AEW involving him and Wardlow. Wardlow has become massively popular through his feud with MJF and their match this past Sunday was the blow off to that feud and MJF almost didn't show up. Interestingly enough, he was destroyed by Wardlow in a way I've never seen from an MJF match. Maybe Tony Kahn was punishing MJF? He got ZERO offense in that match and was stretchered out afterward. AEW completely buried MJF in this match, despite him being one of their top stars. It works in Wardlow's favor though, as he looks like even more of a beast now.

I don't know if the comparison is completely warranted, but every time Wardlow has a match the crowd does Goldberg style chants for him. Wardlow's arguably the best thing going in pro wrestling right now and MJF had a lot to do with getting him there. Wardlow in recent weeks has had the best entrance in pro wrestling. He would come out in handcuffs with armed security and NO entrance music while the crowd chanted his name Goldberg style. It's like watching a scary prison inmate walk into the arena

Anyway, this past Sunday's show was one of AEW's weaker pay per views, but had some good moments. The match involving the Jericho appreciation society, the Blackpool Combat Club, and Eddie KIngston and his cronies Santana and Ortiz was violent, bloody, and great even though the feud itself has been a mess of horrible story telling. I enjoyed it despite how much I hate Eddie Kingston. He plays such a heelish character yet people always cheer for him. It's weird.

I've said many times how much I can't stand WWE, but I kind of have to begrudgingly admit, there's no better champ in pro wrestling right now than Roman Reigns. AEW has this guy now:

and WWE has this guy:

Problem is, WWE realistically has no one who is a big enough star to take the title off him, unless they go with Cody Rhodes. That would be the ultimate fuck you from Cody to AEW I guess. I don't know if it'll happen though, Reigns has been champ for like almost two years now. All hail the tribal chief. Acknowledge him
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever