Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Official Racketboy Suggestion Forum Thread

by Anapan Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:59 am

bacteria wrote:Had asked some time back about facility to add YouTube videos to posts. Also site to host own images so dead images don't ruin the site.

I agree! There's still some weirdness from the last forum upgrade years ago from a security breach that makes most themes unusable.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:21 pm

I'd like to make a suggestion for the forum skins...

I stick with the default skin, Glossy Blue, mostly because it's the most polished but I do prefer the look of it over the other skins anyway. I really enjoy having the fixed width. However, it seems like Glossy Blue is formatted for a 4:3 screen. Now, I know Racketboy is all about old school goodness, but the vast majority of us are using 16:9 monitors. Glossy Blue is just a tad too skinny.

My suggestion would be to keep the Glossy Blue skin as it is now, but rename it "Glossy Blue - Retro" or similar. Then, make an exact copy of Glossy Blue and name it "Glossy Blue - Modern" or similar. Tweak the fixed width so it's still fixed but not so extreme on widescreens. My suggestion would be to have the width fixed to the 4:3 area of 16:9, which is something a lot of us are use to viewing.

I'd like to point out that I absolutely HATE when I'm reading on a website without a fixed width, and text fills the entire width of a 16:9 screen. So I really do appreciate having the fixed width, I just think it's a little too fixed.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
marurun

by marurun Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:36 pm

You read pages full-screen? That's crazy, man!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:33 pm

bacteria wrote:Had asked some time back about facility to add YouTube videos to posts.

Also site to host own images so dead images don't ruin the site.

Just like oversized Spoiler Pictures, YouTube embedded videos slow down page loads even when not clicked. Perhaps include a screenshot with the YouTube link? See Metal Jesus's Video Thread, it works pretty well. Racketboy Forum loads pretty decent due to keeping out all the excess Java.

As for images, you can include as a direct attachment for important images such as your Mods. Any attachments larger then 725 pixel wide can use the attachment command to auto fit the page. Throw in a reminder to "Right click for larger view".
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:46 pm

marurun wrote:You read pages full-screen? That's crazy, man!

I feel like there's a joke or a reference in there that went over my head.

CRTGAMER wrote:Just like oversized Spoiler Pictures, YouTube embedded videos slow down page loads even when not clicked.

So to expand on my idea from my last post... Let's say we have a "Glossy Blue - Modern" skin with a fixed width that's more appropriate for 16:9. Maybe we can also add a YouTube embed function to this skin. The "Glossy Blue - Retro" skin can retain everything the way it is now. If someone embeds a YouTube video into a post, the "Retro" skin can parse it and just post a hyperlink instead.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:03 am

I dont think it was a joke. I have a 27" 1440p monitor and never browse the web fullscreen.
marurun

by marurun Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:57 am

Yeah, I never use browsers full screen. Seems like a waste of screen space to do that.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:41 am

I have most sites running 200% with image smoothing disabled, and browser full-screen. On Racketboy, there's no bars on the sides.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:10 am

Ah, you mean maximized? That's not the same as full screen. In IE, Chrome or FireFox, press F11. That's full screen.

Yeah, I generally always have my windows maximized, including browsers. I'll snap windows or restore down if I'm multitasking or utilizing multiple windows simultaneously, but otherwise I'm maximized 100% of the time.

I'm aware I can zoom in, which would take care of the fixed width of Racketboy, but I always leave the zoom at 100%. I don't like zooming in because it can mess up the formatting, distort icons or images that don't have a higher resolution, and make the text too big for my tastes. It also gives you less of a view of the page, requiring more scrolling.

And either restored down or zoomed in would be a horror if you ever want to expand the reply box on RB for a long winded post, guide, BST thread, etc, which I occasionally do. Only a fixed width adjusted for 16:9 screens would make this better.

Capture.JPG
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:35 am

Ziggy587 wrote:I'd like to point out that I absolutely HATE when I'm reading on a website without a fixed width, and text fills the entire width of a 16:9 screen. So I really do appreciate having the fixed width, I just think it's a little too fixed.

I think I know what you are getting at. When zooming in to fill page to the wide screen that is the norm of most PCs, the text just gets bigger instead of increasing word wrap on the screen. It is strange in your screenshot the page is not centered though.

In Firefox, try setting the default font size smaller and then press "CTRL +".
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Return to Off-Topic / Whatever