Official Racketboy Suggestion Forum Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ziggy

Re: Official Racketboy Suggestion Forum Thread

Post by Ziggy »

marurun wrote:I had a thought about how to quickly turn great forum user posts into web-site content. Here's the quick and dirty paste from Slack/Discord:

I wonder if there's a way to do a promoted posts kind of thing....
Like, when you visit the RB web site there could be a box for promoted posts where users could nominate forum posts that are particularly interesting or informative to be posted on the web site.
Or rather, the nomination happens in the forum interface and the posts that are selected would then appear on the web site under a Promoted Posts or User Highlights section.
That way when people write something awesome or informative it can get bumped up without Nick having to ask us to write up a whole article on a topic.

That's a great idea. Are you thinking of a manual curated process? Or trying for something more automatic? Just recently we were kicking around the idea of some sort of like system. What if users could like posts, but there's no tally tied to users. Instead, it could be used to promote the more well received posts.

Otherwise, how would you propose it works?
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

My thought for that sort of thing would be to instead have a moderator (or bot) post curated weekly topics, designed to be conversation starters. Similar, perhaps, to how Together Retro stuff can be. I know I'm not nearly as inclined to start a topic as I am to reply to one, and perhaps that's the case with a lot of the folks here. It could also be something that's highlighted on the front page to encourage folks to sign up and contribute, and if a thread is particularly successful might provide the basis for a community guide or article.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I don't think we should automatically promote posts, but in concern with a simple "like" system or a nomination tool we could automatically create a pool of posts a moderator or Racketboy could manually promote to be featured. Likewise, a mod or admin could also simply pick a post and promote it.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
TristanX
8-bit

Post by TristanX »

Try this CSS. It makes hyperlink fade in and out with the color you like when you have mouse over it. I used to have this on old forums.

Code: Select all

a:hover{background-color:inherit;border-top:1px #ff0;border-bottom:1px #ff0;animation:textfade 2s infinite;-webkit-animation:textfade 2s infinite;-moz-animation:textfade 2s infinite;-o-animation:textfade 2s infinite;-webkit-animation-timing-function:linear;animation-timing-function:linear;text-decoration:underline}@keyframes textfade{0%{color:inherit;border:1px inherit;}50%{color:#0ff;border:1px #ff0;background-color:inherit}100%{color:inherit;border:1px inherit;}}@-webkit-keyframes textfade{0%{color:inherit;border:1px inherit;}50%{color:#0ff;border:1px #ff0;background-color:inherit}100%{color:inherit;border:1px inherit;}}@-moz-keyframes textfade{0%{color:inherit;border:1px inherit;}50%{color:#0ff;border:1px #ff0;background-color:inherit}100%{color:inherit;border:1px inherit;}}@-o-keyframes textfade{0%{color:inherit;border:1px inherit;}50%{color:#0ff;border:1px #ff0;background-color:inherit}100%{color:inherit;border:1px inherit;}}

You can change "color:#0ff" to something else. Like "color:yellow".
"2s" is the duration of the animation. You can change to something else if you want faster or slower. "1s" is faster.
You can modify the code with more CSS elements if you want more.

Testing ground.
https://codepen.io/mobify/pen/GtqKj
Play with the best or lose like the rest.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Was there a forum update recently??

I was using an old Theme and it seems to have been replaced with a new one...

I went to look for different Board Styles and I couldn't find my old one. I've now moved onto "AcidTech".
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Markies wrote:Was there a forum update recently??

I was using an old Theme and it seems to have been replaced with a new one...

I went to look for different Board Styles and I couldn't find my old one. I've now moved onto "AcidTech".

I use Glossy Blue still and it still works.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Edit: sorry racketboy, don't wanna cause any drama - should have asked. Hope you're okay with this. Hope you join in.

I want the background picture changed. It's dithered. I am a patron of this site, and I made my dissatisfaction known long ago, but it appears that it must be done politically.

I will comission a new homepage background image with a $100 USD bounty. I want it to be the same without dither, but maybe if we have a time limit - May 1st, and asked for submissions it'll be more creative.
I'm going to ask Ziggy587 to verify the funds available, and I will clarify and revise the details shortly or as they come up.

Before things get complicated, I want to reiterate that the style, colors, pixelated appearance and scene are perfect. Introducing scanlines would negatively affect the visual. I tried to make a new one, but my results made it worse. I have veto power as do all moderators in this bounty. Do not make it different, only the same.

If necessary, I can make a "test jig" page where submissions are injected and tested to see what the end result is.

This has be bothering me for many years. Please help fix it.

I'm thinking of posting the bounty on one of the pixel art forums, and I may increase the bounty. Any and all discussion please.

I did recreate that image without the dithering. My recreation is perfect, but not in any way otherwise better. Hopefully a responce will make things better.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
marurun

Post by marurun »

Which image, exactly? Most of my forum interactions are on mobile, so… Or do you mean the main page?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Main page. Sonic emulator screenshot - zoom in on the flower or water.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

Those are compression artifacts due to the image being saved as a jpeg.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii