Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: New Members: Introduce Yourself!

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:18 pm

DaydreamStarbeam wrote:*blush*

Thanks! I'm assuming most people moved onto Discord? Honestly I can't really get into Discord for serious community-building, it just lacks individuality between guilds since you can't truly customise everything, moderation is a shitshow of employing multiple bots/whatever, and it encourages that awful mindset of seeking internet fame/being influenced by people 'socially above you' within similar communities, which is really damaging to someone like me...

There's no such thing as a neutral medium, only extreme endpoles as are perceived by others, and this can go for lots more things too these days... sorry for the political rant, I kind of get personally affected on that topic as a transmedicalist who was TWICE previously groomed into the extremist - seemingly more popular - 'modern' view by self-identified 'communists' who backstabbed me pretty much because they could...

You’re safe here. I’ve never even used Discord, and I have no idea what you’re talking about otherwise. I can talk old video games all day, though. :lol:
marurun

by marurun Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:47 pm

DaydreamStarbeam wrote:sorry for the political rant

We certainly don’t discourage people talking about themselves, but we do discourage politics. It’s already ripped this community apart a couple times. Politics is only allowed within the confines of discussing games, or what games say about us. We do allow some fact-based stuff that’s politics-adjacent, like our COVID thread, but we try to limit it to personal experiences and fact-based stuff.

Just FYI
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
DaydreamStarbeam
8-bit

by DaydreamStarbeam Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:58 pm

@marurun I'm quite bad with grasping whether I said something that crossed the line, as may be evident by now already... and yeah, political matters can tear a place apart, especially when higher-ups on a community/circle/etc start taking sides IMO. Best course of practise is as you say to just not allow uncontextual politics or anything that causes infinite controversy unless it's relevant to the site topic - nobody can call you biased and nobody can start a potential flamewar without rulebreaking, win-win.

@prfsnl_gmr Don't bother either. Still can't fathom how a Discord client idling at 300MB is fine but I've heard Discord addicts complain about leaving a KVIRC window open (which idles at less than 30MB if I remember right). Pretty sure one window won't murder the 100+ Chrome tabs open :P - I feel like the only person who tries to minimise their tab usage sometimes to 5 at max!

-

... damn, I recognised Xeogred and theclaw from elsewhere (the AcmlmBoard scene), though I'm that circle's most hated user in recent years (2014 onwards), so I'd rather not reveal my identity (my birthday and overall posting style is a massive giveaway, if anything) ...
I feel like I have to retreat when anyone potentially knows me and any of those unforgivable shenanigans I refuse to own up to (because others' accounts of them are far more trustworthy).
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:54 am

DaydreamStarbeam wrote:... damn, I recognised Xeogred and theclaw from elsewhere (the AcmlmBoard scene), though I'm that circle's most hated user in recent years (2014 onwards), so I'd rather not reveal my identity (my birthday and overall posting style is a massive giveaway, if anything) ...

When you were 13?
DaydreamStarbeam
8-bit

by DaydreamStarbeam Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:49 pm

o.pwuaioc wrote:
DaydreamStarbeam wrote:... damn, I recognised Xeogred and theclaw from elsewhere (the AcmlmBoard scene), though I'm that circle's most hated user in recent years (2014 onwards), so I'd rather not reveal my identity (my birthday and overall posting style is a massive giveaway, if anything) ...

When you were 13?

Pretty much... I'm the reason ABXD's GitHub was archived, Kafuka had to put manual user verification, I had a major part at the start of the RVLution drama, I've been permabanned at Jul since 2015 with a "no matter what, you're never welcome back" reaction, and I was involved in a lot of drama with friend groups and Discords over many different things that a lot of the people who joined those places at the same time would eventually befriend too and unite against me, etc.

Might as well preemptively send me flying into space without an oxygen suit already. It's clear I can't change (for that reason I question why a few people still talk to me...)
I feel like I have to retreat when anyone potentially knows me and any of those unforgivable shenanigans I refuse to own up to (because others' accounts of them are far more trustworthy).
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

by SamuraiMegas Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:30 pm

just be cool and it's fine... i was notoriously an idiot when I first joined here @ 12-13 as well lol
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
marurun

by marurun Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:41 pm

SamuraiMegas wrote:i was notoriously an idiot when I first joined here @ 12-13 as well lol

And now look at ya! *squints* My eyes ain't what they used to be...
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
DaydreamStarbeam
8-bit

by DaydreamStarbeam Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:00 pm

Well a lot of the worst/creepy things actually happened in 2018-2020 and not 2014-2015, this year I stayed almost entirely out of public sight just because quite a lot of people who loathe me are inescapable from my interests due to their newfound relevance/prominence. Not that that's bad for them, good luck to them.

There's a lot of people I hurt who never want to see me again anywhere near anyone who is likely to come across those accounts and the communities around them, and given the popularity of said profiles within my interest bubble in general, I have no right to do anything but abide by their words. Not sure why I even joined here now knowing this would eventually kick in...

There's at least two 100+ member Discords where mentioning me in any positive light is an unwritten bannable offence due to what I done around them, and many of the people in those have a 2,000-50,000 following on Twitter now, so they're in the right, and there's clearly a level of justification for this message.

I'm just scared somebody better will run away from wherever because I'm not permabanned at this point (and that I just never manage to not fuck things up), that and I get paranoid/whatever when I know somebody might say something because they're usually right about me being a weird creep regardless of whether I mean any harm or not... that doesn't matter though does it?
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

by SamuraiMegas Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:22 pm

holy shit dude what
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:31 pm

I’m so incredibly confused…
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever