Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
TrashPanda

Re: New Members: Introduce Yourself!

by TrashPanda Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:39 am

PretentiousHipster wrote:Welcome! Trying to get into shmups too but am having trouble with their difficulty. Is there any you found that are good starting points?

Well, like about 80% of the fandom under 35, I was dragged into Shmups proper by Ikaruga, as there's nothing overly "complex" about it, it's just a little tough. For something modern, defender-clone Resogun on the PS4 is pretty good. There are a lot of systems to learn to get the most out of it and get the high scores/rescue all the humans that are never explained, but it's very pick-up-and-play it terms of how soon you can get playing and having a good time with it, and it has a number of difficulty levels to chose from.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/the-best ... et-started has a number of suggestions, and whilie I haven't played most of them, I found Trouble Witches Neo to be a reasonable starting point, as it clearly marks your hit-box with a bright green dot, letting you get ton of practice in finer dodging. Game itself is a little so-so, but a good entry point if you've got nothing else in mind.
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:11 pm

TrashPanda wrote:Hi, just another nineties kid here looking to chat about games!

Welcome to the forum! I also enjoy shoot 'em ups, even though I'm also not too good at them. Lol.

BomberDino wrote:I wonder if there are any other Saturn fanatics from Maryland here.

Saturn fan here, but I'm a bit north of you!
shaggy

by shaggy Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:21 pm

Been around the site for awhile but finally created an account and finally posted! I'm from WI and like all gaming but especially the retro stuff. My favorite system is the NES with the Sega CD second. RPG's are my favorite. It's great to finally be a part of the community!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:58 am

shaggy wrote:Been around the site for awhile but finally created an account and finally posted! I'm from WI and like all gaming but especially the retro stuff. My favorite system is the NES with the Sega CD second. RPG's are my favorite. It's great to finally be a part of the community!

Great to have you! Join a conversation and let us know what you think about some video games!
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:30 pm

shaggy wrote:Been around the site for awhile but finally created an account and finally posted! I'm from WI and like all gaming but especially the retro stuff. My favorite system is the NES with the Sega CD second. RPG's are my favorite. It's great to finally be a part of the community!

Whooo welcome to the party! Go play Muv-Luv and Hyperdimension Neptunia.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

pilgrimteeth
8-bit

by pilgrimteeth Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:38 am

Howdy, gang!

I'm new around here, didn't hear about this place until seeing it mentioned on The Cover Project, I think, where I've been hanging out for a while. I wish I had known of you sooner, really miss the forums-heavy part of my life from the mid-to-late 2000s where posting on places like GameRenders and the original Xbox forums was fairly literally all that I did.

I collect comics, action figures, and video games. I've got a little bit of everything from NES right up through PC and PS5 and I'm always looking to pick up new things. I'm a big fan of fighting and FPS games, mostly. My Wife is big into puzzle and platformer games. I've got a kid on the way who will hopefully love everything.

I'm currently playing mostly Valorant and Escape From Tarkov, but dabbling in single-player and retro games, too!

Hope to be around for the longhaul.
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:09 am

Welcome to the forum! Great choices of consoles too. I haven't played as many Sega CD games as I would've liked to, so that's something I'd like to correct in the next year or two.

pilgrimteeth wrote:Howdy, gang!
I'm new around here, didn't hear about this place until seeing it mentioned on The Cover Project, I think, where I've been hanging out for a while. I wish I had known of you sooner, really miss the forums-heavy part of my life from the mid-to-late 2000s where posting on places like GameRenders and the original Xbox forums was fairly literally all that I did.

Welcome! I really still enjoy the message board format for chatting about hobbies. I think it makes it much easier to deep dive into topics, as opposed to social media.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:40 am

Agree completely. We can get into much deeper discussions and analysis here than other places online.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

by SamuraiMegas Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:16 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Agree completely. We can get into much deeper discussions and analysis here than other places online.

And when you stick to a forum for a while, you actually start to learn the other posters' usernames and little tidbits about them that you actually end up remembering, because you see the same names over and over again. Much tighter sense of community. I know more about what some of y'all are up to then my own (extended) family members :lol:
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Mon May 31, 2021 6:33 am

Hello everyone

New member, I actually have made some posts already so I figured I should probably go ahead and introduce myself.

I very much enjoy beat 'em ups and platformers, but I can enjoy other genres too. Favorite consoles are probably the SNES and the PS2. You just can't go wrong with the library of either console and many of those games still hold up. I also like the GBA and PSP. Though I have to say I've come to appreciate what can be done on a New Nintendo 3DS with custom firmware these days. They've got original Playstation games running on that thing now! I'm thinking of eventually getting a modded Switch as well

I'm kind of a Sony/Nintendo guy, not big into Xbox (360 does have some amazing games though). I don't do much PC gaming, but I do like LucasArts style, point and click, games like Day of the Tentacle though, and there's a lot of them popping up on consoles lately. I've been trying an indie one called The Darkside Detective that's pretty fun. Whenever I finish that I may give Thimbleweed Park a try.

I don't watch much TV, but there are various shows I've been enjoying on streaming services lately. Recent faves include Primal, Cobra Kai, The Expanse, and some Star Wars shows like The Mandalorian, The Bad Batch, etc. Basically I dig a lot of the Star Wars stuff Dave Filoni works on. I spent a large part of my life not caring much for Star Wars and then I watched The Clone Wars CGI series and the Mandalorian and got hooked. I blame Ahsoka Tano, Baby Yoda, and Anakin Skywalker - whose fall to the dark side is actually kind of compelling after watching The Clone Wars series. There's a lot of youtube channels I enjoy too. I've recently been checking out MrBallen. His channel focuses on telling stories about strange, dark, and mysterious, stuff that has happened in the real world. In a world with so much media to distract us and get our attention, it's amazing how just listening to a guy tell stories can really draw you in. He's like the guy in the movies telling great stories around a campfire. Feel like I learn a lot of stuff from his stories too. I never knew what Nitrogen Narcosis was until I heard a few of his cave diving stories.

Musically, I can enjoy just about anything. Metal gets me amped up though, and 80s music makes me nostalgic. A lot of what I listen too lately is remixes and covers of video game or anime songs. I've heard about 5 or 6 artists cover the season 1 One Punch Man intro theme and they are all awesome. I can't get enough of that song. There's two that really blew me away. One by Cybertronic Spree and another by Raon Lee and PelleK.

I like animals, except the creepy, crawly ones a.k.a. insects LOL. My usual reaction to seeing them in my home is KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!!!!! I very much relate to when Rob from Playstation Access talks about his feeling towards spiders, though I get even more triggered by roaches. Animals (except insects) are pretty amazing to me. Check out this guy's video showing how smart and persistent squirrels can be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFZFjoX2cGg

So yeah, that's a little about me.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever