Old Gregg wrote:Hullo.

Do you love me?

Of course, my fuzzy little man-peach.

Hrm, so far you seem to fit right in.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Old Gregg

Re: New Members: Introduce Yourself!

Post by Old Gregg »

marurun wrote:[
Hrm, so far you seem to fit right in.

Haha. It's from The Mighty Boosh sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LZo9ugJTWQ
funk_Farmer
8-bit

Post by funk_Farmer »

Howdy, longtime viewer of this amazing site and finally decided to join. This is the first time I've ever joined a forum so if I get outta line just let me know. I'm 31 years old, have a wonderful Native American wife (she has to make sure I let everyone know her heritage), and a 5 year old Shaq sized son. The three of us live and work on our small farm in the upper Midwest. As of 2013 my family has lived, farmed, and raised critters on our homestead for 100 years. I worked road construction in Oregon for 4 years after high school and, after living poor and loading up my bank account, moved home to help my grandfather and father on the farm. Sadly our time together was cut short but in the nick of time my wife and son entered my world and we've poured our lives into our little farm. It's a great life. We work hard during the spring, summer, and fall but when winter comes the old systems get hooked up, controller wires unrolled, we throw some logs on the fire and escape the cold with some good ol' video games.

Growing up my first system was a Genesis, then a N64, PS2, Gamecube, Wii, and finally a PS3. Some of my favorite genres are beat em ups, shoot em ups, 2d fighters, rpgs, and adventure games.
Some of my favorites:
Sonic the Hedgehog series
Streets of Rage
NBA Hang Time
Sub-Terrania
Phantasy Star 4
Gundam Wing Endless Duel
Gundam Battle Assault
Diddy Kong Racing
all 3d Zeldas
Banjo Kazooie
Smash Bros (the Brawl Minus mod is darn fun)
all 3d Mario games except 64 (ugh that game)
Metal Gear Solid series
Guilty Gear series
Shadow of the Colossus
and I'll mention Quest for Glory 4: Shadows of Darkness, one of the only point and click games I've ever played and I loved it.

Other than gaming I try to be a jack of all trades. I enjoy carpentry (fixing up our old house is a part time job and I get the privilege of dismantling two 70-100 year old barns to salvage that good wood), learning about electronics (bought a Snap Circuit Jr kit to teach myself... I mean my son about circuitry), mechanics (all of our tractors and farm equipment are from the 70s and 80s... some older than that and I don't mind fixing them), drawing (finally getting back to work on my graphic novel after 5 years of honing my drawing skills and the script), learning and practicing more sustainable farm methods (cover crops and heavy cattle rotations), and pretty much just learning about anything in general (got way too into a form of construction called rammed earth, more people need to live in dirt houses!). Other than that I love being outdoors all day every day. My son helped reignite my passion for old games. He and I nearly 100% New Super Mario Bros over the course of 2 years, only 3 more star coins to collect and they are doosies to get at.

For media outside video games I like kung fu and western flicks, documentaries, comic books, and a little bit of politics when there's level headed people around. I usually listen to older music. 60s up through the 90s sometimes. I like funk, R&B, jazz, classic rock, hip hop beats (thank you Samurai Champloo for introducing me to that stuff), and I listen to some older country music. I'll listen to pretty much anything though it's easier for me to relate to the older stuff especially lyrically speaking. Song lyrics were just more poetic and open ended back in the day. I find myself listening to more and more video game music nowadays. My son fell asleep every night with the Ocarina of Time soundtrack as a lullaby. So he's been brainwashed to like Zelda.

Anyways, it's been nice reading through this site and the forums, ya'll seem like good folks. Hope I can contribute in the future. Thanks for the great site and community.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

You sound awesome. Welcome to the forums! Stay a while and post about life and video games!
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

If she doesn't mind my asking, what's your wife's tribal heritage?
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Welcome to the forums, Funk Farmer. I dig your Maxx avatar. Sega Genesis is my favorite console. I think I could get to like you, brother. 8)
funk_Farmer
8-bit

Post by funk_Farmer »

Thanks for the welcome everybody.
ElkinFencer, my wife is primarily Yankton Sioux or Nakota. Quite a bit of her family belongs to the Lakota tribe but she's registered Nakota.

Thanks samsonlonghair, the Maxx on mtv back in the day really made an impression on me as a kid. Was quite a few years after that I finally got a hold of the comics. Have them along with the Maxx cartoon on vhs waiting to come out of storage and go on display in a couple years when the kids get growned up.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

funk_Farmer wrote:Thanks for the welcome everybody.
ElkinFencer, my wife is primarily Yankton Sioux or Nakota. Quite a bit of her family belongs to the Lakota tribe but she's registered Nakota.

Thanks samsonlonghair, the Maxx on mtv back in the day really made an impression on me as a kid. Was quite a few years after that I finally got a hold of the comics. Have them along with the Maxx cartoon on vhs waiting to come out of storage and go on display in a couple years when the kids get growned up.

Small world. My friend Robert is a member of the little river band of Lakota Sioux. What a coincidence. Robert is also kind of a crazy maniac, but that ain't the tribe's fault. He got that way all on his own. :lol:

I have a bunch of Maxx comic books that I have scrounged up from various old comic book stores over the years. It's not a complete run, but it's more than half. I also keep the MTV series on my computer. I think there was an "official" DVD release at some point, but it was just the VHS tapes transferred to DVD and burned to order one at a time. I haven't looked into it in a while to see if anyone ever released a better quality copy. I fear that one day the Maxx will be forgotten to history.