Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:34 am

Ack wrote:Sadly, it doesn't. I'm worried we're gonna see another housing market crash.

I’m not so sure. The increase in prices today is for entirely different reasons than it was in the 2000s. Then, we had very healthy supply, but an artificial increase in demand (i.e., speculation). During and after the financial crisis, people basically stopped building houses for the better part of a decade. Accordingly, today, we have a very tight supply and genuine demand generated by people in a population wave (i.e., millennials) reaching an age where they have both the desire and means to purchase a home. Tight supply and high deman makes for a seller’s market.

Interestingly, there is also a tight labor market right now, and it’s incredibly difficult to get people to work on a home. As a result, and what I’m hearing from my friends who work in real estate, is that finished move-in ready homes sell instantly. Fixer-uppers, however, sit for quite some time, and only investors with crews on hand buy them. Of course, since they’re planning on renovating and reselling the house, they try to get a good deal on it, and fixer-uppers tend to sell at or around asking price. The lesson here is that, if you have the time and the ability to work on a home, you can still find something. You’ll just need to be prepared to put in some work! (That’s what we did with our current home. It had great bones, but when we bought it, it needed a ton of work. We’ve put a ton of work, and money, into it, but the amount we’ve spent is dwarfed by the amount it has appreciated, both as a result of the improvements and increases in home prices generally, since we bought it five years ago.)
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:51 am

I'm desperately hoping for another housing crash because that will probably be my only chance to own a house.

I had a coworker sell their house last year and they got a dozen offers in a few days. There are people paying cash who don't even want the house inspected first, it's WILD and if nothing else seems like something that can't be sustained in a properly-functioning economy.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:25 pm

We live in an interesting time now where the richer millennials are starting to increase the demand of something, while the poorer millennials are realizing how terrible those low wage jobs are, and are trying their hand in stuff like freelancing, screwing over multiple industries.

Millennials amirite? :P
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:45 pm

:cry: Bob Saget passed away.
corn619
Next-Gen

by corn619 Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:41 pm

:D It's the weekend
:x My Rift S stopped working
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:19 pm

:cry: Caught a head cold a few days ago, which seems to be going around. It also doesn't help matters that my house is piss-poorly heated, not to mention that we had high-20s wind chills a few days ago.

I was off the past two days, and when I took my assessment after clocking in, I told them I had a runny nose and they told me I couldn't come back to work for 48 hours. So I literally lost two five-hour shifts to a head cold. That's almost a hundred bucks of lost income!

And then when I called Robyn to see if she could do my laundry, she says her dryer is broke. And then my brother said the machines at his apartment building are broken, so I had to ask my mom. I really hate asking her for stuff like that, because she's already got enough crap going on between work, taking my oldest niece to dance cheer four times a week (and to out-of-town competitions) and helping my brother's ex-gf watch her kids.

Goddammit, my mom's tough.

:) Found out they're doing booster shots at my local pharmacy on Thursday. I gotta get up early, though, since they're starting around when they open and only doing no more than twenty until 10-10:30. And then I think the cashier said something about them doing another round of shots at noon, again 20 until a certain time.
marurun

by marurun Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:58 pm

If you think you have a cold you should get a COVID test. If you’ve got COVID you can’t get a booster for 90 days.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:19 pm

And of course I don't know where to get a COVID-19 test, especially since the nearest pharmacy is closed on weekends. Same with the nearest medical center. And if I do have it, I sure as hell can't just leave the house to get a test.
marurun

by marurun Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:39 pm

REPO Man wrote:And of course I don't know where to get a COVID-19 test, especially since the nearest pharmacy is closed on weekends. Same with the nearest medical center. And if I do have it, I sure as hell can't just leave the house to get a test.

You can get at-home tests. You can purchase them at pharmacies or on-line for delivery.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:14 am

Yeah, though good luck finding such tests. And if you find a place that sells them, there's a good chance that you can't actually go in and get them. I read somewhere that at Walmart, you have to get curbside pickup. But I've messaged my mom, brother and Robyn to see if they know where to get such a test.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever