Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ziggy587

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

by Ziggy587 Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:48 pm

I installed a mini split system this year. I've been wanting to for the past couple of years now, but this year I decided to finally do it. It annoyingly took me most of a weekend to get it installed, but it was worth it. I'm very happy with how great it works, and also how quiet it is compared to a window unit.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:05 am

Ziggy587 wrote:I installed a mini split system this year. I've been wanting to for the past couple of years now, but this year I decided to finally do it. It annoyingly took me most of a weekend to get it installed, but it was worth it. I'm very happy with how great it works, and also how quiet it is compared to a window unit.

Was this for a certain area of the home? Was there central air elsewhere and just needed additional coverage?

@Ziggy, check out the YT channel Technology Connections. He does a lot of old tech but also gets really heavy into AC/HVAC and mechanical engineering type disciplines. Cool channel you'll dig:
https://youtu.be/Eg8tK1LpLS8

About 10 days ago was 106 true temp & 115 heat index here :roll: . Shocked some folks on a work call. They were complaining about 50% humidity on East coast... shoot... that's inside with AC on in Houston area :lol:

Just part of living in Texas... AC gets expensive quick. I'm on a maintenance plan. Have a HVAC company out twice a year to check. Had them do some tweaks to new house when I moved in. Cost of living here.

Also... have a smart Ecobee thermostat. Love that thing. Nice to adjust from phone with schedules set. Helpful to check in on house temp & humidity while traveling.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Limewater
Next-Gen

by Limewater Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:49 am

Jagosaurus wrote:About 10 days ago was 106 true temp & 115 heat index here :roll: . Shocked some folks on a work call. They were complaining about 50% humidity on East coast... shoot... that's inside with AC on in Houston area :lol:

Huh. Where on the East Coast were they? Lots of the east coast is very humid in the summer. I'm in North Alabama, and it's 88% humidity right now even though we're way behind on rain. I used to live in Maryland and it was similarly humid in the summer.

Humidity aside, it is milder here than Houston. I lived in Houston for a while when I was a kid. I loved it, but it was thirty years ago.

I did spend a summer in Rhode Island in 2005. It was summer, so we packed for summer. We ended up going to Wal-Mart to buy sweat shirts. I don't remember if it was humid, though.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
marurun

by marurun Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:05 am

Cape Cod is northeast and is humid as all swampy hell. Most houses there smell of mildew simply by default.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

by SamuraiMegas Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:12 am

I got a new job (I think I mentioned that here) working on campus and start on the first.... But I think I might not get paid paid til September 1st :? Going to be a very tough month. At least I'll probably get a few $ for my birthday to tide me over.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
opa
128-bit

by opa Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:34 am

SamuraiMegas wrote:I got a new job (I think I mentioned that here) working on campus and start on the first.... But I think I might not get paid paid til September 1st :? Going to be a very tough month. At least I'll probably get a few $ for my birthday to tide me over.

Are there not any places hiring near you? I see "help wanted" or "now hiring" signs on almost every store I go to around here. It'd be great if you could find something temporary for the month of August at least.

Good luck with the new job!
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:11 am

I'd have to look back, actually think it was the NE somewhere. People I interface with for work often picture Houston like west TX. Shocks them to find out its often 90%+ humidity & we get 10+ more inches of rain than Seattle :).

The rough combo is when it's 100+ degrees and 90+ humidity which has happened a lot this summer.

I remember in a JRE episode he compared Houston to the Amazon rain forest :lol:

Have a good Friday gents.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:51 pm

:cry: Back tire ended up with another flata few days ago, though this time I suspect that the tire itself being rotted in a few spots made it easier to roll over something sharp.

:D Got it fixed today.

:) Got a couple of items I ordered some time ago. Kamen Rider Climax Scramble for Switch,a game card case for the Switch, Junji Ito's The Liminal Zone, some phone clips for two of my 8bitdo controllers and a few more screen protectors for my phone. Also snagged a couple of films from Barnes and Noble's annual Criterion sale, Multiple Maniacs and Pink Flamingos. They were (very) late birthday presents to and from myself.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:02 am

Made a new trailer for my Zelda video and it's one of my best works imo, at least in terms of concepts and trolling. I channeled my inner Vic Berger

https://youtu.be/BuOQiVWpjuA
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:45 am

Jagosaurus wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:I installed a mini split system this year. I've been wanting to for the past couple of years now, but this year I decided to finally do it. It annoyingly took me most of a weekend to get it installed, but it was worth it. I'm very happy with how great it works, and also how quiet it is compared to a window unit.

Was this for a certain area of the home? Was there central air elsewhere and just needed additional coverage?

@Ziggy, check out the YT channel Technology Connections. He does a lot of old tech but also gets really heavy into AC/HVAC and mechanical engineering type disciplines. Cool channel you'll dig:
https://youtu.be/Eg8tK1LpLS8

There was no central air, only window units. The mini split is for the main floor, which is a mostly open floor layout so it works really well. There is a basement and attic, so it would be possible to add central air or HVAC. But for the cost of a mini split, and how well they work, it seemed like a no-brainer.

I love Technology Connections! I've been watching him for a while now, and have definitely learned a lot of things.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever