Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
marurun

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

by marurun Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:35 pm

Unless you're buying high-end phones, mobile phones are disposable items which are meant to be replaced every 2 years. Even the higher end ones need their batteries replaced after 2-3 years, even if the phone itself has longer legs.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:59 pm

Well, this will be my third phone in about seven years. And none of them were high-end.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:22 pm

:cry: Well, my phone's officially kaput! I fucked up the charging port trying to clean dust with the pin from my name tag.

:) Thankfully aside from calls, pretty much everything I do with my phone can be done with my tablet. I just can't stuff it in my pocket. :lol:
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:31 pm

:( My AVR (audio/video receiver) is acting up.

Of course, it's at least 10 years old at this point, and has had heavy use. So I knew it was just a matter of time before something like this happened. For a few weeks now, when I turn it on I get no audio output. I would turn it off then back on, then I would hear a click (assuming a relay) and get audio. But then that turned into having to turn it off and back on several times before I could get any audio. For the past week I've resorting to just leaving it on 24/7 so I wouldn't have to deal with it. So I figure there's a good chance it might die all together some time soon. And even if it doesn't, I'd rather not have to leave it on 24/7 forever. So...

:D I just bought a new AVR.

Well, factory reconditioned from Denon. But from what I've read, it's basically brand new. Of course, this put my down a rabbit hole for my AV setup. New AVRs don't seem to have component video anymore, save for the higher end models. But I'm just not willing to spend that much on one. Everything on my HDTV is mostly HDMI now, but I'm still utilizing component video for my Wii and PS2. For the cost of a higher end AVR that has component, I could get a cheaper AVR and a RetroTINK 5X-Pro. So, that's exactly what I did. My reasoning is that, sure, I could get the AVR with component now. My current HDTV can do 240p over component. But my HDTV is also 10+ years old (got it with the AVR) so I figure it's only a matter of time before it dies. And when it does inevitably die, the replacement TV will not likely do 240p or even have component inputs. So getting the cheaper AVR and then a RetroTINK is sort of future proofing my AV setup for when I ultimately get a new TV.

:P That said, I think I might sell my XRGB Framemeister now that I have (or will have) the RetroTINK.

I was thinking about posting a "gauging interest" thread for my Framemeister in the BST section, but I'm not quite ready yet. I figure I'll wait until I get the TINK in and had a chance to play with it before committing to selling the Framemeister. It will be kind of bitter sweet to let it go, I really had fun using it. Fun fact, I actually purchased it from a fellow Racketboy forum member about 7 or 8 years ago. I don't mean to be spammy (I could easily sell it on eBay) but I just think it would be awesome if I passed it on to another Racketboy regular!

:x Not looking forward to rewiring my AV setup.

My current setup was rewired from scratch back when I picked up the current AVR and HDTV, but it has evolved a lot since then. After adding and subtracting stuff over the years, all of the wires are just a tangled mess behind the TV stand. I kind of had an itch to rewire everything because of what a mess it has become, but I figured I'd wait until I get a new AVR to do that. Well, I guess that day has come. A younger version of me would find it fun, but I think it's more of a chore now LOL. The last time I did it, it took me the better part of a day to get it all done. When my new AVR comes in the mail, I think I'll just swap it in as-is for now, just to test it right away. Then I'll have to wait for a weekend so I can completely rewire it. It'll be nice to finally get the chance to do it though. I've been wanting to move a few things around, but I just haven't felt like dealing with the tangled mess it has become. So this will give me the chance to move some things around. Of course, it'll eventually become a tangled mess again. But at least it'll be nice for a while.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:45 pm

:D I'm getting my new phone tomorrow!

:D Found out that my morning job at Muffins and Scones is year round, which hardly ever happens on Hatteras Island!

:?: Dafuq what happened to this site yesterday?
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:22 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:I figure I'll wait until I get the TINK in and had a chance to play with it before committing to selling the Framemeister. It will be kind of bitter sweet to let it go, I really had fun using it. Fun fact, I actually purchased it from a fellow Racketboy forum member about 7 or 8 years ago. I don't mean to be spammy (I could easily sell it on eBay) but I just think it would be awesome if I passed it on to another Racketboy regular!

I assume you are talking about the 5X Pro? If so, I think you are going to love it. I actually just flashed mine with the latest firmware yesterday. I was holding off because I was too lazy to take pictures of my profiles (since they get wiped out when you flash it). I also just found out that Mike Chi is planning to do a RetroTINK 4K! It is going to be more expensive than the already pricey 5X Pro.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:13 pm

bmoc wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:I figure I'll wait until I get the TINK in and had a chance to play with it before committing to selling the Framemeister. It will be kind of bitter sweet to let it go, I really had fun using it. Fun fact, I actually purchased it from a fellow Racketboy forum member about 7 or 8 years ago. I don't mean to be spammy (I could easily sell it on eBay) but I just think it would be awesome if I passed it on to another Racketboy regular!

I assume you are talking about the 5X Pro? If so, I think you are going to love it. I actually just flashed mine with the latest firmware yesterday. I was holding off because I was too lazy to take pictures of my profiles (since they get wiped out when you flash it). I also just found out that Mike Chi is planning to do a RetroTINK 4K! It is going to be more expensive than the already pricey 5X Pro.

Yep, the 5X-Pro! I've been keeping an eye on it since its release. It's just that I sort of gravitated away from using the Framemeister after getting a PVM, so I really didn't have the need for it until now. I'm pretty much getting it to use as a YPbPr to HDMI converter for the Wii and PS2, but it'll be nice to still have an RGB input in case I ever need to ditch using CRTs.

That's cool that he's doing a 4K version, but it doesn't interest me personally (unless it has other features). Really, I just need to get the analog signal to HDMI and at 480p or 720p then let the TV do the rest of the scaling. The important thing to me is no lag and also seamless resolution switching. I never saw much of a point scaling larger than 720p, unless the TV introduces more lag when scaling beyond that.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:31 pm

:D Got my new phone yesterday!

:cry: I can't seem to set the service up. Turns out that in order to transfer my old number to my new phone I need the ability to receive a code sent to my phone number, which is impossible since the battery is dead and I don't have a spare phone lying around that I can just jam the old SIM card into.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

by SamuraiMegas Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:01 pm

? You should be able to just swap everything into the new phone without any hassle.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:55 pm

SamuraiMegas wrote:? You should be able to just swap everything into the new phone without any hassle.

Apparently you have to use a new SIM card. I've been on the subreddit for my service and that's basically what they said.

Also, my phone can run Identity V, but until I get a microSD card for my phone I'm just going to have to wait.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever