Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ziggy587

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

by Ziggy587 Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:00 am

ElkinFencer10 wrote:So my AC crapped out earlier this month, and I had it repaired on the 7th. Capacitor gave out. Then it quit working again last Thursday. Got it repaired this past Monday; the motor on the unit outside was going bad. It quit working AGAIN today. I know repairing a machine is sometimes a bit of trial and error - went through that with my car a few months ago - but damn, it's mid 90s and 70% humidity every single day. I'm DYING without AC here. Please just fix it for good this time, guy. T.T Supposed to have someone coming to fix it AGAIN on Monday.

That's sucks. It's been 90 here as well, and with higher humidity. That just wrecks me, I couldn't exist without AC.

It sounds like you have central air. Do you have any backups? If it were me, I'd go down to Wal Mart and grab the cheapest AC window unit just to stick in the bedroom. It wouldn't be enough for an entire house, but the smallest cheapest window units are at least enough for a bedroom. Then at least you can sleep well, if nothing else.

stickem wrote:Started selling off the collection on eBay, so after a month I'm quite new and now I get why eBay prices are high lol. Anyway, I sold street fighter zero 3 dreamcast and this clown requests a return because the disc is faulty and he gets a blank screen. I explain he needs a boot disc to play that region on his US dreamcast. He replies I didn't mention that in the listing. Are you that fucking stupid! So I send a screenshot of the ad with tbe region code circled and replied, know what you are buying. Haven't heard back and not sure how this ends up, but my bitch is why doesn't eBay let me reject his return request? It's stupid to have to deal with this shit.

I was going to go to eBay, but after looking at what the fees are now I decided to just stick with the forum here. And also, exactly what you said, having to deal with clowns. Not just dumb asses, but people trying to scam you. eBay doesn't protect sellers as much as it protects buyers, and some dishonest people know how to make that work in their favor.

Did you list anything on the forums here? If not, you should!
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:17 am

^ I just felt I have to much to list on a message board. Even with the fees and crap I get from buyers, and alot of beggers, it's going pretty well. Around 185 games sold in 3 weeks and I'm had them for so long I'm getting what feel is a good return in the bank. My goal is to take my wife on a once in a lifetime honeymoon we never got to take 22 years ago when we didn't have a pot to pass in and struggling. And then have a nice chunk to throw in savings. So far I'm working on the last part. I'm just glad my post office is a mile down the road. It's getting old going twice a day to get people their stuff, but it what it is.
opa
128-bit

by opa Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:25 am

When I write my ebay listings, I write descriptions for the lowest common denominator. If I'm selling a Japanese game for instance I'll say something like "Requires Japanese console" or "requires console that can play Japanese region games"... something to that effect. People are that stupid (or scummy to try to get a free game).

stickem, you can have the USPS pick up your packages for free if you weigh and box them up at home.

Don't forget that starting this year you'll have to file your sales with your yearly taxes if you sell over $500 worth (iirc).
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:36 am

Yep, I don't understand the tax part but whatever. I just sold a truck and don't have to pay taxes. sell a few games and the IRS wants a cut.

I mean the name itself gives it away to anyone that knows anything about street fighter. Zero series vs alpha. Shoot, dude can just burn a utopia boot disc in 5 minutes and leave me alone lol. I even offered to send him a copy of utopia or codebreaker
Last edited by stickem on Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:10 am

Ziggy587 wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:So my AC crapped out earlier this month, and I had it repaired on the 7th. Capacitor gave out. Then it quit working again last Thursday. Got it repaired this past Monday; the motor on the unit outside was going bad. It quit working AGAIN today. I know repairing a machine is sometimes a bit of trial and error - went through that with my car a few months ago - but damn, it's mid 90s and 70% humidity every single day. I'm DYING without AC here. Please just fix it for good this time, guy. T.T Supposed to have someone coming to fix it AGAIN on Monday.

That's sucks. It's been 90 here as well, and with higher humidity. That just wrecks me, I couldn't exist without AC.

It sounds like you have central air. Do you have any backups? If it were me, I'd go down to Wal Mart and grab the cheapest AC window unit just to stick in the bedroom. It wouldn't be enough for an entire house, but the smallest cheapest window units are at least enough for a bedroom. Then at least you can sleep well, if nothing else. !

I do have central air, but I live in a double wide with weird "emergency exit only" windows. Fortunately, the AC decided to work when I turned it back on this morning. My theory is that the whole system is super dirty and prone to clogging since it's been at least five years since it's been serviced (I honest to god didn't know you're supposed to have them professionally serviced yearly, so that's on me), so I kept it off all night to let it thaw and drain. Hopefully it will stay on until the repair guys can get out here tomorrow.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

marurun

by marurun Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:27 am

I wonder if one of those portable AC units with the hose you run to the window would be an effective backup. I know they’re somewhat inefficient, but then you can move it from room to room.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:36 am

marurun wrote:I wonder if one of those portable AC units with the hose you run to the window would be an effective backup. I know they’re somewhat inefficient, but then you can move it from room to room.

I used those back in Seattle before I bought my house. In a one bedroom apartment it was able to reduce the temperature by about 20 degrees compared to the air temp outside.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:50 am

I'll probably get one of those at some point before next summer as a just in case or extra cooling oomph, but for now, all of my money is going towards getting the god damn central air fixed.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:05 pm

Those portable air conditioners are better than nothing, for sure. They will bring the temp down, but they usually do nothing for humidity. IIRC, some models allow you to hook up a pump. But then that would require it being near a drain. Otherwise they just evaporate the water back into the air, which really sucks for a humid environment. But again, better than humid AND hot.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Limewater
Next-Gen

by Limewater Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:32 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I do have central air, but I live in a double wide with weird "emergency exit only" windows. Fortunately, the AC decided to work when I turned it back on this morning. My theory is that the whole system is super dirty and prone to clogging since it's been at least five years since it's been serviced (I honest to god didn't know you're supposed to have them professionally serviced yearly, so that's on me), so I kept it off all night to let it thaw and drain. Hopefully it will stay on until the repair guys can get out here tomorrow.

Did the repair guys clean the coils on either of the first two visits?

Knowing only what you've posted and not being super knowledgeable about air conditioners, my guess would be that it's the contactor. Dirty coils lead to higher current draw when puts strain on the contactor, and the contactor is what turns on your compressor and fan outside. It can start to fail in a way that is somewhat intermittent, and since it's a physical relay it could behave differently in the slightly cooler morning air than it does in the heat of the day in direct sunlight.

Either way, if the repair guys didn't clean your coils, get a can of coil cleaner and follow the instructions.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever