What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Post by REPO Man »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
REPO Man wrote:You'd have a hard time paying your expenses too if your income crapped out every fall. You see, unlike in NYC, my area doesn't have gainful year-round employment. Best one can hope for is being eligible for unemployment benefits while possibly working fewer hours at one of the few places open year-round. Last summer, I was working up to 60-70 hours a week. By October I was working 25.

Between that and the constant threat of weather fucking up one's day to day life, I'm ready to just pack up my shit and hitchhike to NYC, where I can work 40-60 hours year-round and not have to worry about everything coming to a grinding halt just because Mother Nature is having a temper tantrum.

You’re a grown man. Stop making excuses. MOVE.

No money is a reason, not an excuse. Owing three grand and not having enough disposable income is a reason, not an excuse.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Keep your cherished games, use emulators and video game archives otherwise, buy some everdrives if you still wanna use consoles. Sell the rest. Trying to do that right now myself, unsuccessfully lol, but I'm sure it'll change soon.

Even with me going back to part-time work soon I am planning on doing this. I've realized that everdrives hardly make a difference except filling up some shelves, but a higher priority for me now is to get tattoos and piercings, so I'm wanting to get rid of some stuff.

I know parting with your collection sucks, but you have higher priorities. The less you carry over to such a huge distance, the way better as the cheaper the movie will be, and the smaller your initial apartment can be. Worry about getting your foot in the NYC door first, then plan on expanding from there.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

REPO Man wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:
REPO Man wrote:You'd have a hard time paying your expenses too if your income crapped out every fall. You see, unlike in NYC, my area doesn't have gainful year-round employment. Best one can hope for is being eligible for unemployment benefits while possibly working fewer hours at one of the few places open year-round. Last summer, I was working up to 60-70 hours a week. By October I was working 25.

Between that and the constant threat of weather fucking up one's day to day life, I'm ready to just pack up my shit and hitchhike to NYC, where I can work 40-60 hours year-round and not have to worry about everything coming to a grinding halt just because Mother Nature is having a temper tantrum.

You’re a grown man. Stop making excuses. MOVE.

No money is a reason, not an excuse. Owing three grand and not having enough disposable income is a reason, not an excuse.

Which is why we call you out every time you buy a new Switch game, or get unnecessary gifts for the kids of a person you lived next to for a while.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Aside from a handful of Switch cards and a few PS4 games I own physically, my entire collection is digital. I mean, I have an old N64 and some games for it and an old original model 3DS and some DS and 3DS carts, but that's about it. My only physical media are my Blu-rays, a shelf of books, a Targus case of DVDs and a dozen or so board games. And aside from donating DVDs that I've replaced with Blu-rays I'm not parting with any of it. If I have folks over for movie night and I don't have any movies, what do we watch? Same with game night without board games. But with books, I'd be up to trading books after I've read them, except my Junji Ito hardbacks, my OOP books or my graphic novels and TPBs.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

REPO Man wrote:If I have folks over for movie night and I don't have any movies, what do we watch?

Google chromecast. It can even connect with VLC player.

Also, if my city still has 1-2 movie rental stores, I'm sure NYC would as well. That's always something you could do 1-2 days in advance before a movie night.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Right. Why own when you can rent or pirate? Plus, even if I sold all my movies and board games, I'd only get a fraction of what they're worth and that's even if there's a market for them where I live. And before you say eBay, I'd still have to sell them at a loss.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

You're missing the entire point. I want to make it easier for your move. I'm a collector too, but in NYC smaller spaced apartments are commonplace, especially when you're just new there trying to find a job and to settle in. Make that your high priority. Care about collecting when you're settled in, have a decent career, and can move to a bigger place to hold said collections.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

If space is an issue, I've thought about that already. Since I only need a twin bed, that'll save some space. And I've thought about going with either a loft bed or a Murphy bed, probably the former and put shelves and a dresser underneath. Plus I'm only taking my tablet, Switch, two week's worth of clothes and a couple of books. Literally everything else is going to be boxed up and left with Aunt Robin. Each boxed will be labeled so that when I want a certain set of items (horror novels, Criterion Blu-rays, etc) I'll just ask her to ship them and then to tell me how much the shipping was so I can reimburse her. Granted a few items I'd prefer to be brought by my family when they come to visit. Since I've seen myself leaving in mid October, they'd probably come to visit for Thanksgiving. They'd arrive on Tuesday, we'd have Thanksgiving dinner on Wednesday, go to see the parade on Thursday, eat leftovers that night and do Black Friday shopping the following morning.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

Is that 3,000 owed actually written in a paper contract or just an oral agreement? Could always skip town....
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

It's back rent. That's all that matters. That's why I seriously hope the Powerball ticket I bought is a big winner. I don't need the Jackpot. I'd settle for just enough to pay my back rent.