Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

by PretentiousHipster Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:20 am

Edit: too personal and political sorry about that.
Last edited by PretentiousHipster on Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:24 am

marurun wrote:I have the maintenance minder in my Honda. But that’s not geared for people who never drive, basically. I had an alternator go out on my old Mazda. Car was never the same. The electrical took some damage and every alternator replacement would die within a few months to a year. It was sad.

Yeah I think the Honda one is based on mileage not time. Which reminds me that’s it’s been a year since I did an oil change. I should get in that one.

Ziggy587 wrote:What brand batteries are you putting in? Currently I have a Toyota, and for a while now I've been getting most of my parts from the dealer. The dealer parts are almost always more expensive, but I've realized that most parts aren't that much more than what you'd get at Auto Zone or Advance Auto (the two big auto parts chains around here) but are much superior. And in fact, some things are really the same price. So the Toyota battery is only something like $10 or $15 more than the Duralast Gold (Auto Zone) and has a 7 year warranty. If you changed your battery 4 times in 9 years, that's about once every two years. From my experience, two years is really only you should expect from cheap batteries. I've certainly had them longer, but even after 2 years they start to show signs. Like acid build up at the terminals and losing strength for cold starts when the temperature is super low.

I've been in a car when the alternator went. It's definitely weird. You'd think the car would just suddenly not have enough power anymore and then stall. But it doesn't, it's like an alien encounter in the X-Files or something. :lol: That's terrifying though, breaking down on a busy highway. Especially during rush hour. My last car was in great shape, but was old. I got a newer car simply for peace of mind. I couldn't imagine stalling on the LIE during rush hour.

Oh it’s for sure a DuraLast special. Gold specifically. The OEM battery died in four years (car was purchased in November 2012 and battery went in December 2016) and it’s been Autozone bats since. They rope you in with the three year warranty where they reimburse you some of the cost of the old battery into the mew one and the cycle repeats. They got me real good.

And I totally agree about the LIE part. Especially some of the real bad deadly accidents recently. That last one, while it was not on the LIE, killed five people, was just terrible.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:52 pm

Yep, I've had a few Duralast Gold batteries. I'm just not impressed for the money. I mean, I can get a $50 battery at Wal Mart if I don't care how long it lasts. But for $125 or whatever they are, for a few more bucks I can get the Toyota battery with a 7 year warranty. 4 years actually isn't horrible for a battery, from what I've read. But 2 years is just too short for me.

Auto Zone does the same deal for brake pads, they're warrantied so you can exchange your worn pads for new ones. But that's the only way to make them economical, getting two sets of pads for the price that they charge for one set. The problem I have with that is that I have to take the pads off to exchange them, which means I can't drive the car to the store. That and I don't FEEL like doing brake pads that often. And it's another example of the Toyota pads costing just a little bit more but lasting a LOT longer. The first set of pads that came on the car lasted me about 3 years, and that's when I was doing 70+ miles a day. And that includes slamming on the brakes often during rush hour commute.

On the LIE, my heart would be in my throat at least once each way. Usually I would try and drive the hour just before or after rush hour, so the traffic isn't completely stopped. But it way more dangerous because there's still heavy traffic, and the LIE does this thing where you're cruising in the left lane and then traffic comes to a screeching halt, then back to speed, then screeching halt, and again and again. You could say don't ride in the left lane, but then you have to drive even more defensively because you'll be getting cut off constantly. And you could say just make sure you have a safe distance between the car in front of you. Which I would do, that's not the scary part. The scary part is the car behind you that's up your ass. When the traffic would come to a sudden stop, I'd be looking in my rear view mirror. Many times I'd be thinking, "THIS is the time I get rear ended."

Yeah, stalling on the LIE (or any highway in the tri state area) is not something I want to do. Disabled vehicles are just accidents waiting to happen.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:48 pm

This is a GREAT article;

https://kotaku.com/her-award-winning-ga ... 1847397446

Made me smile!
benderx
Next-Gen

by benderx Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:59 pm

I don't hate you for posting. I just hate Kotaku for life. Filled with utter crap, Heavy ads, nonsense, lowest point in gaming journalism. the good old days Joystiq.com/tech.tv/Destructoid.com
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:07 pm

1up forever!!!! :lol:

Yeah…I’m not a fan of Kotaku either. I really like Ash Parrish’s articles, and I really, REALLY liked that article.
Golgo 14
128-bit

by Golgo 14 Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:15 pm

I like how the collector is responding to everyone in the comments. :lol:

And everyone's being good, as far as I can tell! Cool lady.
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:30 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:This is a GREAT article;

https://kotaku.com/her-award-winning-ga ... 1847397446

Made me smile!

Enjoyed reading this article too, thanks for sharing!

I liked how it touched on her experience when she was young and what got her into games in the first place. She definitely has a lot of different collectibles I wasn't familiar with. Great stuff.
NotLuke
24-bit

by NotLuke Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:31 am

benderx wrote:nonsense

That Luke Plunkett could use a goof what for, for all the nonsense he's written. Just awful.

Smile: Published another article and became the County representative for a well established professional organization. Also, if I haven't already mentioned this, I got paid $300 to play VR and talk about it for an hour. $300 an hour is something I can get behind.

Frown: My clientele still mostly consists of felons who want stuff and not help. It's mentally taxing and my annual review is nigh and I don't know what to expect. Eh, I'm still helping those who seek it and I won't be doing this forever.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:02 am

Getting a small myst tattoo done today, but because I didn't get one since before the pandemic all of my nerves are back :X
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever