What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Post by REPO Man »

PPSSPP is pretty much the only PSP emulator out there. But even then the biggest hindrance is the device's specs. I don't see this running any of the GoW games, though I'm hoping it'll at least run at least one of the two 3D GTA games (not Chinatown Wars) since my brother is a total GTA fan. Worst case scenario, it'll run neither and he'll either go for the Android port of LCS, which may or may not work on the device, or make do with the PS1-era GTAs and possibly the PSP version of Retro City Rampage.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Had a 2-3 hour political fight elsewhere yesterday. Considering what today is I wanted to take a break from it. I go on a gaming discord, and then they're talking politics with views I vehemently disagree with.

Politics is actually dangerous for mental health.
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

PretentiousHipster wrote:Had a 2-3 hour political fight elsewhere yesterday. Considering what today is I wanted to take a break from it. I go on a gaming discord, and then they're talking politics with views I vehemently disagree with.

I take the workplace approach: number one rule in a workplace is no politics and no religion.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Gucci wrote:
PretentiousHipster wrote:Had a 2-3 hour political fight elsewhere yesterday. Considering what today is I wanted to take a break from it. I go on a gaming discord, and then they're talking politics with views I vehemently disagree with.

I take the workplace approach: number one rule in a workplace is no politics and no religion.

The film forum I go on has tons of political fights, especially back when they weren't as moderated. Many members left from it. I assume the same thing happened here too because they barred political discussion here.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

REPO Man wrote:PPSSPP is pretty much the only PSP emulator out there. But even then the biggest hindrance is the device's specs. I don't see this running any of the GoW games, though I'm hoping it'll at least run at least one of the two 3D GTA games (not Chinatown Wars) since my brother is a total GTA fan. Worst case scenario, it'll run neither and he'll either go for the Android port of LCS, which may or may not work on the device, or make do with the PS1-era GTAs and possibly the PSP version of Retro City Rampage.

Play with the graphics settings. PPSSPP has pretty high options turned on by default.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Yeah, but some games just never seem to run. Every time ETA Prime tests PSP emulation he always tries God of War: Chains of Olympus and more often than not it runs like shit.

I know it's a crap shoot but I'm definitely gonna try the PSP port of Dante's Inferno.

:) Someone asked for PC game suggestions and I basically dumped DOZENS of suggestions, culled from my GOG and Steam library, as I typically do when someone asks for PC game recommendations. I usually go for low-end indie titles and classic games, though.
marurun

Post by marurun »

PretentiousHipster wrote:The film forum I go on has tons of political fights, especially back when they weren't as moderated. Many members left from it. I assume the same thing happened here too because they barred political discussion here.

What prompted our ban is someone actually called someone’s employer IRL over statements they made here regarding politics. But you can’t truly exclude all politics, so we ruled that when socio-political topics come up relevant to games and gaming we can have some discussion as long as people stay cool. For example, some games focus on key topics or espouse certain assumptions about the world, intentional or not. Discussing this in the context of games isn’t verboten if handled with care.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

marurun wrote:
PretentiousHipster wrote:The film forum I go on has tons of political fights, especially back when they weren't as moderated. Many members left from it. I assume the same thing happened here too because they barred political discussion here.

What prompted our ban is someone actually called someone’s employer IRL over statements they made here regarding politics. But you can’t truly exclude all politics, so we ruled that when socio-political topics come up relevant to games and gaming we can have some discussion as long as people stay cool. For example, some games focus on key topics or espouse certain assumptions about the world, intentional or not. Discussing this in the context of games isn’t verboten if handled with care.

:shock: Didn't expect that. Sorry that that person had to go through that. Yea I found some games talk about politics in interesting ways, even some surprising games like Harvester and FMV cyberpunk games. Talking about them might be interesting. Although it looks like even my analysis of Harvester was controversial to a user on YouTube lol
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

The forum moderators are so good, I have only seen a little bit of their work during my tenure. That is to say, that the vigilance and decision making is so well tuned, that I never see it, and have only ever heard of it off hand. I think I got grazed once, but it was so minor, I don't think I even felt it and was left feeling that I should not pursue the thing I started. Gotta give some respect to that well-maintained machine that is run here. I have no idea what just happened, but that makes me smile.

About ppsspp; If you think it isn't doing the game justice, I really think you oughta try to acquire an original machine that can do video-out in the Playstation Mobile/ Livearea suite of consoles. Just like the Wonderswan, the older models are harder to get than the newer ones. Right now, no matter which of those devices you choose, you can follow a guide and have it capable of incredible things. It's fortunate than Sony hasn't yet stopped their services - I was pretty scared when I was alerted, and I had to drop everything to make sure my devices were up-to-date with respect to all the upgrades available. I believe I'll have to be as alarmed about my PS3 soon, so I'm planning a SSD swap out drive upgrade soon.
The way all of this has played out so-far makes me smile. I didn't expect this extra time. to use these tools.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

Just an FYI Anapan: I would waste the money on an SSD for the PS3. The SATA interface won’t be able to support the increased speed benefits from that drive. You’re better off getting a cheaper, larger, mechanical drive since the speed is about the same as an SSD.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!