Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Re: So what have you guys been watching lately?

by PretentiousHipster Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:16 am

Wait... people actually LIKE the characters in Succession? I thought it was so obviously a satirical show talking shit about the family. I really hope it's just the internet being the internet and that it's not a common opinion. I mean, one of them uses interns as human furniture, but it seems like people like him because he's funny :X
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:51 pm

I've been watching that Peacemaker show, which is a spin off of Suicide Squad. I'm not big into DC Comics or their movies, outside of the Batman franchise, but I did like the new Suicide Squad movie, and I've been enjoying the show so far. Anyone else watching it?
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:47 am

The best parody of 80s sitcoms. Careful though it's way too cursed

https://vk.com/video10021872_171046428
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:51 pm

So I tend to mix up the Bobba Fett show and The Mandalorian show in my head. I just realized I did that in my last post in this thread by referring to Bobba Fett as a returning show when it actually just wrapped up its first season. I guess it's fitting though, since the last three episodes have basically felt like The Mandalorian season 2.5. I enjoyed them. There's a lot of hate the show is getting in some circles, but those last three episodes pulled that sinking ship back to the surface for me. Like I said though, that's only because the show basically become The Mandalorian's show with Bobba feeling like a guest star in his own show. For fans of Bobba's character though, that's not a good thing.

Much like season 2 of the Mandalorian's own show, we got some cool cameos in those three episodes from major characters from the original movie trilogy and the excellent Clone Wars TV series. They clearly wanted these last three episodes to get people talking as we even got a major character from The Clone Wars series appearing in live action for the first time. The finale was a fun, big action spectacular

I FINALLY started watching The Squid Game. It's REALLY good, but as I expected the show can be difficult to watch at times. It's a very dark and very brutal show, leaving you with that same kind of shocked and empty feeling that I used to get from shows like Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead (when I actually used to watch TWD). There are comparisons to stuff like Battle Royale and The Hunger Games, but the Squid Game does enough things to stand out from those works. It has its own identity and is arguably smarter and more compelling than those movies were IMO. The best streaming series are the ones that make it hard to just watch one episode and that applies to The Squid Game
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:06 pm

I decided to jump back into Murder, She Wrote (it's on IMDb TV, which is also available as a Prime Video Channel). Mostly got into it after watching a handful of MSW videos by YouTuber PushingUpRoses, who also does similar videos on other shows (including The Golden Girls, Goosebumps and did a video on a segment from the Creepshow series), as well as videos on video games (particularly classic adventure games).

Given our nostalgia-hungry society as of late I'm surprised we didn't get a reboot yet. I just hope it keeps the quaint charm of the original and doesn't go too dark, or else we'd end up with CSI but with a little old lady. I heard there were plans for a reboot with Octavia Spencer that fell through. Though if we can't get one with Octavia Spence, I wouldn't say no to one with Patti Lupone or Jessica Lange, albeit not as a new Jessica Fletcher but rather either a protégé of hers, one of her (apparently) many relatives or just a fan of Jessica Fletcher who ends up solving crimes while writing murder mysteries.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:57 pm

Any fellow American Horror Story fans here? I posted a concept for a (decently-upvoted) season of AHS called American Horror Story: Game Over, set around a video game company in mid-'90s LA.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:35 am

Note wrote:I've been watching that Peacemaker show, which is a spin off of Suicide Squad. I'm not big into DC Comics or their movies, outside of the Batman franchise, but I did like the new Suicide Squad movie, and I've been enjoying the show so far. Anyone else watching it?

It looks interesting, but I just hate John Cena. It's hard to watch anything with him in it.
Limewater
Next-Gen

by Limewater Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:40 am

The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window

The current Wikipedia article calls this "primarily a parody of mystery psychological thrillers," but I don't think that's really a fair assessment and likely contributes to the relatively negative reviews this series received.

Kristen Bell plays a struggling woman who drinks wine all day and takes (legit) prescription medications. This causes her to have hallucinations. She believes that she witnesses a murder in the house across the street, but nobody believes her.

Based upon the title, you would think that this would be a super silly and likely crappy spoof, along the lines of the "____ Movie" movies. You would be wrong, and, as I wrote earlier, I believe that gave people certain expectations that were not met.

The show is not a series of references to prior psychological thrillers pretending to be jokes like the "____ Move" movies. It's also not a series of rapid-fire jokes along the lines of Airplane!.

I think my wife put it pretty well when she said, "It's like they wanted to make a mystery thriller, but knew they couldn't really play it straight." It's more like a mystery thriller that isn't afraid to poke fun at genre conventions and archetypes. There really aren't a ton of jokes, but the jokes that are there are usually pretty good. And they aren't afraid to be really silly. But it actually has a story, and the story isn't just there as an excuse to set up jokes.

That kind of makes the show rather unique, in my opinion. I am not really sure I have seen anything like it before. And I actually really liked it.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Golgo 14
128-bit

by Golgo 14 Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:19 pm

Limewater wrote:The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window

I was interested in this when I heard the premise, but I was put off by the jokes in the first few minutes. Maybe I'll give it another shot.
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:18 am

Over the weekend my partner and I binge watched the first season of this Apple TV show Ted Lasso. It's a light hearted sitcom about an American coach being hired to coach a soccer team in England. Doesn't sound like something I would normally watch or be interested in, but it was fun to watch something light and out of my usual zone. Has anyone else seen it by any chance?
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever