So what have you guys been watching lately?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: So what have you guys been watching lately?

Post by Jagosaurus »

stickem wrote:Yeah, i can't believe he hasn't been in more shit, he played his character great. I stuck around because I had a thing for anna paquin lol, and the preachers wife was pretty dam hot herself.

I was thinking the same thing. I was surprised to see he (Ryan Kwanten) was recently the lead in The Oath. He plays a different character, but does a really solid job. That series is streaming for free on Sony's Crackle app or website. Worth a watch IMO (especially at the free price tag), and I'll be tuning in for S2.

I really dug Paquin as Rogue.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Some random Batman TAS episodes.

Also, Kamen Rider Amazons is now on Amazon Prime Video, where it's called Amazon Riders. Got the entire first season stuffed on my tablet.
jacjon

Post by jacjon »

rewatching the office for the nth time
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

Dudes. I'm about halfway through Cobra Kai. This show is frickin' amazing. If I could add a fire emoji to this post, I most definitely would. This is a very worthy addition to the original movie. It's a great modernization of the story, but flexes its 80's cred in all the right ways. Somehow there's plenty of content here for both Team Daniel and Team Johnny (although to be fair, William Zabka really does get most of the scene stealing moments). If you dug any Karate Kid movie (but most particularly the first one), you'll dig this show IMO.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

Wow double post, but at least they're months apart, so I don't feel particularly guilty about it. :mrgreen:

Any hoo, I started watching Castle Rock on Sunday night. I've been thoroughly impressed thus far. It sort of does for the 'universe' of Stephen King (the 'King-iverse'?) what the MCU did for Marvel. What I mean by that, is that if you're a fan of King's work, you'll find enough references here, both subtle and explicit, to keep you busy for days connecting all the dots. Okay ... maybe not for days, but there's certainly more than enough 'nudge-nudge, wink-wink' references here to satisfy even the most avid of fans.

Bill Skarsgård and (particularly) Sissy Spacek put in some really great performances here. Skarsgård is just as 'otherworldly creepy' in Castle Rock as he was in It. He's really finding a niche for himself in (Stephen King-based) horror! This is a weird comparison to make but I get an almost 'David Bowie' type vibe from him in that he's so adept at conveying this sense of 'alien otherness'. But Sissy Spacek ... damn. I just finished watching s01e07 last night, an episode titled The Queen. This episode might be my favorite performance by Sissy Spacek in ... well, anything. I'm not a superfan (meaning I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of her ouvre), but damn ... she just kills it in this episode. It probably doesn't hurt that I'm also a sucker for psychological-horror-based mindfuck-ery, and as far as that goes, The Queen is fully firing on all cylinders. I guess the title of the episode really is a bit of an entendre. This might be the single best episode of television I've seen all year. (#HyperboleAlert?) ... Or maybe it just perfectly fit what I was in the mood for. At any rate, very good stuff.

It's a bit of a shame then that Castle Rock is confined to a niche streaming service like Hulu, because it deserves a larger audience, IMO. Definitely a fun outing for you horror buffs who enjoy filling October with thematically appropriate viewing (IMO, etc, etc).

Edit:
Okay ... I may have neglected to consider Carrie when I said 'my favorite Spacek performance in anything'. But ... I will say that she displays more range in this single episode than in the entirety of Carrie. Boom. :mrgreen:
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Recently got caught up on a lot of my shows on Hulu, save for Bob's Burgers, Rick and Morty and Fresh Off the Boat (still on season 3).

Also watching Star Trek Discovery on CBS All Access (via Prime Video), which recently added season 11 of The Big Bang Theory and the first season of its prequel series Young Sheldon.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Rolling through the netflix cartoons here. Disenchantment, then Paradise PD, F is for Family, and now mid season 2 on Bojack Horseman.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Jumping back into Deep Space Nine, I'm into season 4 now with Worf jumping in. Amazing stuff, this series continues to feel like if there was a Mass Effect drama purely on the Citadel.
Derryck

Post by Derryck »

I've watched iZombie, which is quite fun, if you don't take the zombie genre too serious. And the "Monk"-like crime scenes are interesting riddles.
~ posted by Derryck :)
Chalpie

Post by Chalpie »

Better call Saul, Shameless, Modern Family from the ongoing

Oh, also Kidding, the new Jim Carrey series, it's soft, but not very children friendly as it may seem from the first look. Really love that he came over from that place he's been through the past few years. Carry vibe is irreplacable, reminds me of all the movies plus Robin Williams One Hour Photo is very similar