So what have you guys been watching lately?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
stickem
Next-Gen

Re: So what have you guys been watching lately?

Post by stickem »

Love bbt, hate young sheldon, but love annie potts.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

SamuraiMegas wrote:
REPO Man wrote:Fourth episode of Creepshow hit Shudder today, while last night's Young Sheldon hit Paramount+.

Man, how are you a film snob and watching Young Sheldon?

Being a film snob in the past I noticed that once you explore something more in-depth you tend to only wanna like the more praised stuff, since well tbh on average they are better. Still, I find that the people with the best taste is if they're taste is more sincere.

Repo man I suggest you watch Metropolitan it teaches an amazing lesson that everyone into the arts should learn. Plus it's based in New York.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

I've seen Metropolitan before. But it's been years. I think I saw it somewhere between 2009 and 2011.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

I watched Castlevania: Season 4 and was very, very happy with how they wrapped this series up. I think it's the best season, but you have to be familiar with previous seasons to fully enjoy it of course. I give this show a lot of credit for actually making me want to go play/buy some more Castlevania games. Not that I wasn't familiar with the games before this, but the show kind of re-invigorated my appreciation for them

I started watching Star Wars: The Bad Batch, having enjoyed The Clone Wars and Star Wars: Rebels. It's pretty good so far, Omega walks that fine line that every kid character on a show does between being loveable or down right annoying, but so far I like her.

Finished Invincible on Amazon, pretty great show. I really don't like Amber though. I've heard that she's very different from her comic book counterpart.

Dipping my feet back into anime, having not watched it in a long time. I finished season 1 of One Punch Man. It's lots of fun and has one of the best intro themes I've ever heard. I also watched Demon Slayer. I go back and forth between liking the show and hating it. Tanjiro's buddies Inosuke and the blond haired kid can be pretty damn annoying, and the show does certain other typically annoying things about anime, but it certainly has its moments. Mugen Train was a great movie too. I love Rengoku now. Demon Slayer is interesting to me in that it embodies everything that is great and annoying about anime at the same time. I feel like Western animation has stepped up its game in recent years, and while anime is still awesome, it's not leaps and bounds better than Western animated shows anymore.

And on that note, Gendy Tarkovsky's Primal, what an awesome show. My favorite episode is Terror Under the Blood Moon.

I saw the recent tease for Cobra Kai's next season, can't wait to watch that whenever it comes out. I'm also waiting on The Expanse, really bummed about what happened to a certain character last season though
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Raging Justice wrote:I watched Castlevania: Season 4 and was very, very happy with how they wrapped this series up. I think it's the best season, but you have to be familiar with previous seasons to fully enjoy it of course. I give this show a lot of credit for actually making me want to go play/buy some more Castlevania games. Not that I wasn't familiar with the games before this, but the show kind of re-invigorated my appreciation for them

Definitely play the games. You'll have tons of threads here about the game series.

I'm not really an anime guy, but I did watch and enjoy (and recommended) Castlevania. It's not perfect, and some of its imperfections are most apparent in season 4, but I thought it was overall a good season. I wouldn't call it the best, though, but it was an appropriate culmination. I wish they wrapped up a few loose ends *better* than they did, and the last scene I wasn't really shocked at, but I didn't love. Also:

Trevor should have stayed dead. Alucard could have helped raise the kid. His staying alive lessens the sacrifice that was mentioned so frequently. Yeah, I get that they showed Saint Germain twitch, but it wasn't enough.

I did not love everything about it, though. I thought Dracula's characterization really did not gibe with the games. Also, I know it's been said, but did they really have to shoehorn fuck and fart and shit into every sentence? The vulgarity (and not just curse words, but overall vulgar tone) of Death really made it hard to take the character seriously.

As I said, I'm not really an anime fan, but it actually reminded me more of The Maxx or Aeon Flux. Maybe I just haven't seen enough (I think the only anime movie I've seen is Akira, for example, though I've wanted to give Ghost in the Shell a shot at some point).
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

o.pwuaioc wrote:As I said, I'm not really an anime fan, but it actually reminded me more of The Maxx or Aeon Flux. Maybe I just haven't seen enough (I think the only anime movie I've seen is Akira, for example, though I've wanted to give Ghost in the Shell a shot at some point).

I've gotta check the Castlevania series, I've heard positive things about it from a lotta people.

Highly recommend you see Ghost in the Shell, o.pwuaioc. I first saw it when I was a kid in the late 90's, but I revisited it a few years ago and it's still really great, worth your time.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

o.pwuaioc wrote:
Raging Justice wrote:I watched Castlevania: Season 4 and was very, very happy with how they wrapped this series up. I think it's the best season, but you have to be familiar with previous seasons to fully enjoy it of course. I give this show a lot of credit for actually making me want to go play/buy some more Castlevania games. Not that I wasn't familiar with the games before this, but the show kind of re-invigorated my appreciation for them

Definitely play the games. You'll have tons of threads here about the game series.

I'm not really an anime guy, but I did watch and enjoy (and recommended) Castlevania. It's not perfect, and some of its imperfections are most apparent in season 4, but I thought it was overall a good season. I wouldn't call it the best, though, but it was an appropriate culmination. I wish they wrapped up a few loose ends *better* than they did, and the last scene I wasn't really shocked at, but I didn't love. Also:

Trevor should have stayed dead. Alucard could have helped raise the kid. His staying alive lessens the sacrifice that was mentioned so frequently. Yeah, I get that they showed Saint Germain twitch, but it wasn't enough.

I did not love everything about it, though. I thought Dracula's characterization really did not gibe with the games. Also, I know it's been said, but did they really have to shoehorn fuck and fart and shit into every sentence? The vulgarity (and not just curse words, but overall vulgar tone) of Death really made it hard to take the character seriously.

As I said, I'm not really an anime fan, but it actually reminded me more of The Maxx or Aeon Flux. Maybe I just haven't seen enough (I think the only anime movie I've seen is Akira, for example, though I've wanted to give Ghost in the Shell a shot at some point).

I have actually played some of the Castlevania games, and own a few as well. What I meant was that I enjoyed the show so much it made want to replay some of those games and seek out some of the ones that I haven't played yet. I really love Super Castlevania, Bloodlines, and Symphony of the Night. I also enjoyed Bloodstained: Ritual of the Moon and the first Curse of the Moon game, even though those two are not official Castlevania games. I really wish to play Aria of Sorrow at some point. Many people seem to love it.

I personally don't really think of the Castlevania Netflix series as anime. I do recognize some rather obvious anime influences in the show, but seeing as it wasn't made in Japan I wouldn't call it anime personally.

I agree that the show is not perfect. I had some issues with season 3 and was a little let down by it. Season 4 was a nice return to form in my opinion, but it's not perfect either. There were moments where the art and animation weren't great and I think it can be argued that some story elements were a bit rushed due to the series coming to an end, but overall I really, really enjoyed season 4. One thing I always loved about the show was the action and season 4 had more of it than all three previous seasons. I'll spoiler text the rest of my thoughts:

The language didn't bother me at all. However, I think the scene where Sypha is swearing and blaming Trevor for it was a bit silly. I thought Death was great. They really made him larger than life and intimidating, which I felt does justice to his character. I also liked that his presence sort of gave the show a "final boss" and I like that Trevor defeated him alone, as Castlevania revolves more around the Belmonts than anyone else so it felt right to see Trevor up against the show's strongest enemy alone and triumphing over him. I'm happy Trevor didn't die and that everyone got a happy ending. I'm kind of tired of dark depressing shows having miserable endings, especially with so many things going on in the world bringing people down. We need a little joy I think. This was a nice change of pace in my opinion and it really surprised me, in a good way. I never expected the show to end that way. I think Trevor's sacrifice still has value, even though he lived. He started the show as the "I don't care" guy and now was willing to give up his own life (and a future with Sypha) to protect the world from Death. It was a powerful moment. I'm not opposed to characters presumed dead coming back alive if it's done for the right reasons. These characters really earned a happy ending so I'm glad him and Sypha were together in the end. Her tearful line, "I think we actually won" made me smile

Note wrote:
o.pwuaioc wrote:As I said, I'm not really an anime fan, but it actually reminded me more of The Maxx or Aeon Flux. Maybe I just haven't seen enough (I think the only anime movie I've seen is Akira, for example, though I've wanted to give Ghost in the Shell a shot at some point).

I've gotta check the Castlevania series, I've heard positive things about it from a lotta people.

Highly recommend you see Ghost in the Shell, o.pwuaioc. I first saw it when I was a kid in the late 90's, but I revisited it a few years ago and it's still really great, worth your time.

I'm not really up to date with most modern anime except for One Punch Man and Demon Slayer, but there was some great stuff I used to watched back in 90s myself. Cowboy Bebop, Rurouni Kenshin and a lot of the other popular stuff back then was pretty great
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Raging Justice wrote:I'm not really up to date with most modern anime except for One Punch Man and Demon Slayer, but there was some great stuff I used to watched back in 90s myself. Cowboy Bebop, Rurouni Kenshin and a lot of the other popular stuff back then was pretty great

Same. I always enjoyed older anime myself. The weirder the better.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

I saw Kids in the Hall as a kid since it was huge in Canada but didn't know wtf was going on. Gave it another chance today. Some stuff didn't age well like a blackface skit, but there are moments of absolute brilliance like these two skits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO0FxifkzFQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeGOE2-dd_s
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

I only seen kids in the hall when i stayed the night at my grandma's, since she had hbo. Only thing i remember was the fingers squishing people skits lol.