Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: So what have you guys been watching lately?

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:12 am

Golgo 14 wrote:I liked Sandman, but I doubt I would have given it a chance if I didn't have strong memories of reading the comics 25+ years ago. Because of that, I'm surprised it's been so well-received.

I have the first three graphic novels, but I have not read them. I’ll likely pick those up after I finish LOTR. (This is the year, apparently, I’ll finally read seminal fantasy novels I skipped growing up.)
Golgo 14
128-bit

by Golgo 14 Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:41 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I have the first three graphic novels, but I have not read them.

The first two are really good imo and they're translated pretty faithfully in the series. The biggest differences involve the removal of DC characters in the show. I'm not sure why they did that since DC and Warner co-produced the series.

No one knows how Netflix makes their decisions, but I think it has a decent shot at a second season.
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:27 pm

Currently rewatching the second season of Harley Quinn. I wanted to be refreshed when I watch season 3.

Also, The Simpsons and Family Guy are back from their summer break.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:34 pm

The show Review was a huge surprise. You'd think it was just an episodic sort of thing without them really being connected, but then it quickly becomes a very interesting character study. Add an incredibly shocking and subversive series finale, with absurdist humour on top, and you have a masterpiece.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:43 pm

There's a new season of Big Mouth, so I'm watching that.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

by REPO Man Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:44 pm

Not a movie, but I watched the Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special on Disney+ and really enjoyed it. When they find out that it's almost Christmas, Drax and Mantis go to Earth to kidnap Kevin Bacon as a Christmas present for Peter Quill, and in similar fish out of water stories like this, hilarity ensues.

Then I followed that up with the Christmas episodes of X-Men TAS and Disney's Doug. In the former, an excited Jubilee eagerly awaits celebrating Christmas with her new family, the X-Men. She accompanies Storm and Wolverine to do some last-minute shopping, only to discover Morlocks raiding an ambulance. As it turns out, the Morlock Leech is sick. Due to his mutant abilities, they weren't able to help him at the hospital and now his life hangs in the balance. In the end, Jubilee learns the true meaning of Christmas. Also Gambit and Jean Grey fight over Christmas dinner in the B-story.

And in Doug's Secret Christmas, Doug's want for a traditional Christmas celebration is pushed aside as his parents get ready for the birth of his new sibling. As the episode goes on, he becomes more despondent as he thinks his parents and sister Judy no longer care. He even imagines the Funnies treating Christmas as just another day. But soon he realizes that Christmas is more than just a Christmas tree, presents or traditions.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:03 am

The Guardians Christmas special was a real surprise to me. I just kind of stumbled on to it having no idea this was something James Gunn was working on. You don't see stuff like this that often, the last time I can think of a movie franchise doing a holiday special is the How to Train Your Dragon series. I enjoyed the Guardians Christmas special, although some parts of it were kind of stupid, it was all in good fun though. To my surprise, we learn something significant about Quill and Mantis that they probably could have saved for the next movie if they wanted to.

I also started watching Transformers: Beast Wars. As an old G1 Transformers fan, I was very turned off by Beast Wars when it first aired. I didn't like the CGI look and the fact that we were not only getting different characters, but that none of them had technology or vehicle based transformations. I viewed it as a bastardization of the Transformers franchise, much like how many people feel about the Michael Bay movies. However, over the years the show has gotten a lot of positive feedback from the Transformers community and I've even heard that it ties into G1 in some ways. When I saw that the upcoming live action Transformers movie was going to incorporate Beast Wars characters, and after having a positive experience with the last movie (which felt like a love letter to G1 fans), I decided to check out the Beast Wars show to prep myself for the new movie.

I'm maybe ten or so episodes into season 1, and I'm enjoying it. It's certainly not MY Transformers that I grew up on, but it has much of the same charm, and while the CGI is rough, you get used to it. I really love Megatron's voice on this show. He sounds so delightfully over the top, and arguably has more personality than G1 Megatron ever did. I like how Terrorsaur is basically just a modern take on Star Scream, and I love how death metal his voice becomes whenever he screams, "TERRORIZE!". think Rattrap is my favorite character from the good guy team, though Tigatron is cool too. I'm actually seeking out some good Beast Wars toys now to go with some of the G1 stuff I've collected. It's actually a pretty awesome time to collect Transformers toys, as a lot of great stuff has been coming out in recent years for pretty much every iteration of the franchise from the various cartoons, to the Netflix stuff, to the movies...lots of fun reissues of the older 80s toys too, but this is all talk for a different thread.
marurun

by marurun Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:18 am

I think I struggled with Beast Wars for the same reason you did. I have not had the time or energy to give it a second chance, but I don’t doubt it’s good based on how widespread the praise for it is.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:35 pm

Raging Justice wrote: The Guardians Christmas special was a real surprise to me. I just kind of stumbled on to it having no idea this was something James Gunn was working on. You don't see stuff like this that often, the last time I can think of a movie franchise doing a holiday special is the How to Train Your Dragon series. I enjoyed the Guardians Christmas special, although some parts of it were kind of stupid, it was all in good fun though. To my surprise, we learn something significant about Quill and Mantis that they probably could have saved for the next movie if they wanted to.

I really enjoyed it as well, pretty much the right length for something so silly and it didn't feel like they compromised in any way on the CGI. The main thing that annoyed me was the ending "joke" that "actors aren't that shitty after all." I'm not gonna say my kids never hear the word shit, but it was completely unnecessary and felt like they just did it to do it? And it wasn't funny?
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:53 pm

Finally finished Death Note. They dragged the story, I had bigger expectations but ok. I am up for more drama/adult oriented anime.

I really hated the I out smart you when tried to out smart me. Complete none sense. A great writer would come with a clever storyline for that but this one obviously was pushed down the throats of the viewers. I do not blame the writers as coming up with such a story line is a pretty difficult task unless inspired by real life events I guess.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever