Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: What are you listening to at the present? (genres helpfu

by REPO Man Tue May 04, 2021 1:10 pm

A mix of obscure '80s pop (Meri D. Marshall, e.g.), the soundtrack to Bubblegum Crisis ("Konya wa Hurricane" still slaps after all these years), the soundtrack to Project A-Ko (DYK the song "In Your Eyes" was sung by Samantha Newark, the voice actress who voiced Jerrica and Jem on Jem and the Holograms, though while being a vocalist herself, Jem's singing voice was done by Britta Philips?), the Be More Chill OBCR and Kikoru's "Tension Mansion" (which I have been listening to while reading my newest Junji Ito acquisition, "Lovesickness").
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Tue May 04, 2021 3:00 pm

Proof that black metal is the most emotional music genre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ-IX9kIG_E
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Wed May 05, 2021 8:55 pm

o.pwuaioc wrote:
stickem wrote:
PretentiousHipster wrote:Not sure if I'll look that but I'll look it up. Yea Memphis Rap was huge in the experimental music fan scene like 10 years ago lol pretty much all of it is amazing.

To an extent I like horror rap so I was browsing. But I'm more ganksta NIP. Brotha lynch hung, horror that what I was finding lol.

Memphis represent! I still listen to When the Smoke Clears and Mista Don't Play all the time. And Tela. I've spent a few years now trying to accurately transcribe the lyrics to his "Incredible." What's incredible is that it's not already out there!

Well they sure are getting sampled out the ass these days lol. Glad at least they get some props, I mean rappers besides and before the well known triple 6.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Tue May 25, 2021 2:40 pm

Jeremy Jordan's cover of "She Used to Be Mine" from Waitress: The Musical.

Back in 2018, during MCC Theater's annual MisCast gala (which features genderbent performances of Broadway numbers), Jeremy Jordan (who was Jack in the original production of Newsies and was also on Supergirl) performed the song "She Used to Be Mine" from the Broadway adaptation of the film Waitress, with music by Sara Bareilles (who I believe also starred in the original Broadway production). The song is a ballad sung by the show's protagonist Jenny as she loses control over her life.

It's quite the emotion gut punch.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Sat May 29, 2021 12:35 pm

Ben Platt and Uzo Aduba doing a genderbent cover of "A Little Priest" from Sweeney Todd.

From MCC Theater's MisCast '15.

I just love how it's literally a bouncy song about cannibalism. One of my fave parts:

MRS. LOVETT
Now then, this might be a little bit stringy
But then of course it's... fiddle player!

TODD
No, this isn't fiddle player -- it's piccolo player!

MRS. LOVETT
How can you tell?

TODD
It's piping hot!

MRS. LOVETT
Then blow on it first!

:lol: :lol:
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Sat May 29, 2021 3:27 pm

All of this talk about NYC got me relistening to James Ferraro's avant-garde R&B masterpiece "NYC, Hell 3:00AM" which I assume is a more accurate representation of NYC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTFQ3PitR8A
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun May 30, 2021 2:30 pm

Lots of classic death metal....... Still. Lately it's been Napalm Death's Harmony Corruption.

Been thinking of grabbing some old death metal albums on cassette so I can listen to them while I lift (my stereo is radio/8-track/cassette).
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Sun May 30, 2021 3:04 pm

Imaginaerum by Nightwish.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Mon May 31, 2021 10:53 pm

Recently discovered this awesome synthwave track called Sunrise by Shadowrunner & Primo the Alien.

Also revisited a few fave Gunship tracks: Tech Noir (the video was done by claymation animator Lee Hardcastle, who is a goddamn genius) The Hegemon, and The Video Game Champion.

Back when I had a RetroPie (before a random power outage killed it :cry: ), I made a custom startup video set to the last 30 or so seconds of The Video Game Champion, set to a random YT video I "borrowed" and overlayed the RetroPie logo on top.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:21 am

The band HEALTH gets a lot of hate for some reason, but I'm still way too addicted to them. This is like a modernized 80s goth rock song with elements of shoegaze, but quite often they get into synthwave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcYf_GNIX3Y
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever