Post by noiseredux »

Highly unlikely.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I still love you.

GBA FF1 is indeed amazing though.

My daughter watched me play NES FF last year and then of course wanted to try. I switched her right over to GBA and she had a much smoother experience. It's such a solid port.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I've played a little bit of the NES FF1 a few times, but I've only ever beaten the PS1 version. How does the GBA version compare?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Ziggy587 wrote:I've played a little bit of the NES FF1 a few times, but I've only ever beaten the PS1 version. How does the GBA version compare?

I've played the GBA version a few times. I haven't played the PS1 version in about 10 years, but my memory says they were pretty similar.

I found this on Games Radar: https://www.gamesradar.com/best-ways-pl ... l-fantasy/

The definitive version: Final Fantasy Origins (PS1) It's the perfect blend of classic difficulty and modern presentation. Unlike other remakes, Origins remains faithful to its namesake by retaining FF's unique spell system and difficulty curve. Should you find the game too tough, there's also the option for easy mode (which is made mandatory in later remakes). Origins also has redrawn sprites, a remixed soundtrack, a revised script, and some bug fixes that together make it a clear upgrade to the NES classic. And, because Origins was released on PSN in 2011, the game is very easy to find and play on your PS3 or Vita.

What about the rest? Final Fantasy 1 & 2: Dawn of Souls (GBA) and Final Fantasy (PSP/Mobile) are both solid remakes with all the updates found in the PS1 version, plus some new dungeons and other extras. But they also replace FF's spell system with an MP-based magic system, and reduce the difficulty across the board. Considering the original FF is already light on plot and characterization, challenging combat should be the game's main attraction. Plus, neither of these remakes have been released on other platforms, making them difficult to enjoy on modern hardware. If you're looking for the original, unadulterated game, you can pick it up on the Wii Virtual Console (which is also buried inside your Wii U's Wii mode), or as a built-in game on the NES Classic (good luck finding one of those, though).
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

I played through FF1 on the PS1, and that was pretty good. I still haven't really played much of the NES/Famicom version to make much of a comparison, though. Last year I did the unthinkable and beat the Famicom version of FFII. I had played it for a little while on the Origins collection, but never made it too far. Played a decent ways into it about 10 years ago on an NES emulator for the DS, but burned out in the Ice Caves. I guess I just felt the need to make sure I'd finished FF1 through 13 in some form, and the Famicom version is the only Japanese version of the game I own. Wouldn't recommend it. Just skip FFII completely, for your own good, and for the much better FFIII.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

FFII is much better once you know how to abuse the stat system.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

MrPopo wrote:FFII is much better once you know how to abuse the stat system.

is it really "much" better, though?

I had minimal time to make progress before bed last night. Mostly, I just walked around to grind a bit until I got up to level 19 so that my mages could utilize the lvl5 spells. Grabbed some useful ones - namely, Life for my white mage. Walked over to the cave in the south-west ("Terra...something," I'm bad with names) and STARTED to do some exploring but I took a path where every step resulted in a 'random' encounter, and that started to get tedious and I was just too exhausted for the night.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Is that the one where you attack your own party?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Ziggy587 wrote:

Is that the one where you attack your own party?

It is. It sucks.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Nothing about FFII ever sucked me in. I have it as part of Final Fantasy Origins on PS1. A few times I have started a save file, but I end up turning it off inside of 15 minutes and never starting it back up.