Level up here
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 10796
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

by marurun Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:25 pm

MrPopo wrote:I think it's right on the cusp and depending on personal feelings it can fall on either end of the line. I don't think being a first person game where you shoot disqualifies something as an RPG; if you go a bow build in Skyrim is it suddenly not an RPG?


I actually do wrestle quite a bit with whether Oblivion and Skyrim are RPGs or not. I feel like they sit right on that edge.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
REPO Man
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3585
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:05 pm
Location: Outer Banks, NC

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

by REPO Man Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:55 pm

Via Wikipedia:

Borderlands is an action role-playing first-person shooter video game franchise set in a space western science fantasy setting, created by Gearbox Software and published by 2K Games for multiple platforms.
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 10796
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

by marurun Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:28 pm

REPO Man wrote:Via Wikipedia:

Borderlands is an action role-playing first-person shooter video game franchise set in a space western science fantasy setting, created by Gearbox Software and published by 2K Games for multiple platforms.


An "action role-playing first-person shooter". If you know English well you know that word order can be very important. In this case, if you are going for a single genre, shooter is the genre.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
User avatar
Gucci
32-bit
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:33 am
Location: The City of New York

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

by Gucci Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:32 pm

I’m pretty much at the end of Trails in the Sky. As I finish that game, I’m hopping in over the the GBA for Summon Night: Swordcraft Story. Started years ago (10+ years) and got an hour in. So it’s basically fresh to me. Oh and that game is an action role playing game.
I own too many hoodies jackets and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
User avatar
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8071
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:59 pm
Location: NYC

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

by o.pwuaioc Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:42 pm

marurun wrote:
REPO Man wrote:Via Wikipedia:

Borderlands is an action role-playing first-person shooter video game franchise set in a space western science fantasy setting, created by Gearbox Software and published by 2K Games for multiple platforms.


An "action role-playing first-person shooter". If you know English well you know that word order can be very important. In this case, if you are going for a single genre, shooter is the genre.

Dude, genres are not set in stone. There is no "essential definition" for a genre.
Last edited by o.pwuaioc on Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
MrPopo
Moderator
 
Posts: 23436
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:01 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

by MrPopo Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:43 pm

Gucci wrote:I’m pretty much at the end of Trails in the Sky. As I finish that game, I’m hopping in over the the GBA for Summon Night: Swordcraft Story. Started years ago (10+ years) and got an hour in. So it’s basically fresh to me. Oh and that game is an action role playing game.

You're at the end of the first Trails in the Sky? If so I don't actually expect you to jump over to Summon Nights. You'll pick up Sky 2.
Image
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
User avatar
Gucci
32-bit
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:33 am
Location: The City of New York

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

by Gucci Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:47 pm

I thought about that but after about 40 hours with FC and SC being quite a lot longer, I wanted to play something a bit smaller and different to break up the two games.

I was fully committed to play all three Sky’s and all four Steels but I think it’s best to play something much smaller in between so that I don’t get burned out.

Edit: and I heard about the massive Halo 2 like cliffhanger of FC. I don’t know what happens but I do know it’s a cliffhanger for sure.
I own too many hoodies jackets and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
User avatar
MrPopo
Moderator
 
Posts: 23436
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:01 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

by MrPopo Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:01 pm

Narratively it's a much harder to resist cliffhanger than Halo 2's.
Image
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
User avatar
Gucci
32-bit
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:33 am
Location: The City of New York

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

by Gucci Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:04 pm

MrPopo wrote:Narratively it's a much harder to resist cliffhanger than Halo 2's.

I was afraid of that. Yeah I’ll just shelve Summon Night for another time…
I own too many hoodies jackets and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
User avatar
MrPopo
Moderator
 
Posts: 23436
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:01 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

by MrPopo Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:12 pm

The third game is very fine to put off. The second game wraps up the narrative threads while leaving dangling the hooks for the future Trails games, and the third game mostly fills in backstory for some characters and adds a couple more hooks.
Image
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Return to RPG

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests