What RPG are you playing right now?

Level up here
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

Post by isiolia »

Level-appropriate content is probably just a consideration for more open game designs. The same kind of problem crops up with Dragon Age: Inquisition too, for another example. It can be designed around, though going too extreme isn't fun either. Part of the satisfaction of spending all the time to level up and get good gear can be to turn around and wreck most anything that stands against you...and if everything scales up to match, you never quite get that (default in Oblivion as I recall, and probably some other Bethesda games). The balanced approach is probably the Fallout: New Vegas one where areas are scaled to you when you first enter them, so regardless of the route you take you end up with a challenge...but if you come back later you'll probably have an easy time.
Or you take the other extreme and minimize vertical progression, a la Guild Wars.
Kuruwin
64-bit

Post by Kuruwin »

Currently playing Shadow Tower Abyss which is one of the From Softwares other King's Field like games. Just cleared the insect area and i'm not big fan of the whole "health is currency" and no exp for killing enemies but i can deal with that.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Kuruwin wrote:Currently playing Shadow Tower Abyss which is one of the From Softwares other King's Field like games. Just cleared the insect area and i'm not big fan of the whole "health is currency" and no exp for killing enemies but i can deal with that.

Shadow Tower Abyss is excellent. I beat it myself a few years ago. There were some things I liked better in the original Shadow Tower, but overall Abyss is a great sequel. It's also the easiest of all FromSoftware's first person dungeon crawlers, so you're in for a smooth ride.

-

I made it to the final boss of Xenoblade Chronicles last night. Didn't win. I'll have to go and grind up some more levels and craft some ether defense gems. Yes this game pulls the classic big difficulty spike at the last boss JRPG trope. Not only that, but XC expects you to beat a boss with two forms, then run through a large area while killing a bunch of mini-bosses, and then fight a final boss with three forms, all in one go. You can't save during any of that. Real fucking convenient Monolith. :roll: I'm very close to having this one behind me though. After this, I plan to play through some GameCube RPGs that've been sitting on a shelf since dinosaurs roamed the earth.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Which GameCube RPGs? Baten Kaitos? Tales of Symphonia?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Ack wrote:Which GameCube RPGs? Baten Kaitos? Tales of Symphonia?

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (SRPG granted)
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Phantasy Star Online: Episodes 1 & 2

It's not so much I want to play all those right now, as it is I want to beat them, so I can sell them, and use the proceeds to buy other stuff I'm more interested in nowadays. As for what you mentioned; I own Baten Kaitos and its sequel on GameCube, but haven't played either. I used to own Symphonia on GameCube, but sold it when I bought the PS3 version, which I still haven't played. So many games, so little free time... you know how it is.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

That I do. I will say, I did enjoy PSO on the GameCube, and I don't recall it taking that long to get through the "story" of the game. You could probably get through that one quicker than a Fire Emblem, definitely.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Ack wrote:That I do. I will say, I did enjoy PSO on the GameCube, and I don't recall it taking that long to get through the "story" of the game. You could probably get through that one quicker than a Fire Emblem, definitely.

Yeah the main 'single player' campaign of PSO isn't terrible long.
Kuruwin
64-bit

Post by Kuruwin »

Like you said ex this doesn't seem to be hard but I just reached those three locked doors on the "imp area" and at this point there's an item on the store that regenerates health. There's no need to resort saving on repairs by regenerating but I'm still wondering whether that item can be found on the wild.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Tokyo Xanadu EX+. Only a couple hours in but it already feels like an older Persona game.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Kuruwin wrote:I'm still wondering whether that item can be found on the wild.

I honestly can't remember, I'm sure you'll figure it out though. Did you beat the original Shadow Tower before this? I only ask because there's some stuff in Abyss that won't make as much sense if you haven't. The last boss especially is tied to a particular character from the original game.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.