What RPG are you playing right now?

Level up here
marurun

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

Post by marurun »

MrPopo wrote:I think it's right on the cusp and depending on personal feelings it can fall on either end of the line. I don't think being a first person game where you shoot disqualifies something as an RPG; if you go a bow build in Skyrim is it suddenly not an RPG?

I actually do wrestle quite a bit with whether Oblivion and Skyrim are RPGs or not. I feel like they sit right on that edge.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Via Wikipedia:

Borderlands is an action role-playing first-person shooter video game franchise set in a space western science fantasy setting, created by Gearbox Software and published by 2K Games for multiple platforms.
marurun

Post by marurun »

REPO Man wrote:Via Wikipedia:

Borderlands is an action role-playing first-person shooter video game franchise set in a space western science fantasy setting, created by Gearbox Software and published by 2K Games for multiple platforms.

An "action role-playing first-person shooter". If you know English well you know that word order can be very important. In this case, if you are going for a single genre, shooter is the genre.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

I’m pretty much at the end of Trails in the Sky. As I finish that game, I’m hopping in over the the GBA for Summon Night: Swordcraft Story. Started years ago (10+ years) and got an hour in. So it’s basically fresh to me. Oh and that game is an action role playing game.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

marurun wrote:
REPO Man wrote:Via Wikipedia:

An "action role-playing first-person shooter". If you know English well you know that word order can be very important. In this case, if you are going for a single genre, shooter is the genre.

Dude, genres are not set in stone. There is no "essential definition" for a genre.
Last edited by o.pwuaioc on Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Gucci wrote:I’m pretty much at the end of Trails in the Sky. As I finish that game, I’m hopping in over the the GBA for Summon Night: Swordcraft Story. Started years ago (10+ years) and got an hour in. So it’s basically fresh to me. Oh and that game is an action role playing game.

You're at the end of the first Trails in the Sky? If so I don't actually expect you to jump over to Summon Nights. You'll pick up Sky 2.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

I thought about that but after about 40 hours with FC and SC being quite a lot longer, I wanted to play something a bit smaller and different to break up the two games.

I was fully committed to play all three Sky’s and all four Steels but I think it’s best to play something much smaller in between so that I don’t get burned out.

Edit: and I heard about the massive Halo 2 like cliffhanger of FC. I don’t know what happens but I do know it’s a cliffhanger for sure.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Narratively it's a much harder to resist cliffhanger than Halo 2's.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

MrPopo wrote:Narratively it's a much harder to resist cliffhanger than Halo 2's.

I was afraid of that. Yeah I’ll just shelve Summon Night for another time…
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

The third game is very fine to put off. The second game wraps up the narrative threads while leaving dangling the hooks for the future Trails games, and the third game mostly fills in backstory for some characters and adds a couple more hooks.