Dragon Warrior / Quest - Which version to play?

Level up here
Ziggy

Re: Dragon Warrior / Quest - Which version to play?

Post by Ziggy »

I have yet to pull up a video to compare, but I'm assuming the GBC version is squished due to the lower resolution. I wouldn't discount it if it is, but it wouldn't make it my top choice. Some games have good conversations, but others can feel very closed in. Especually when you've already seen the console version.

I actually use to own the first two Dragon Warriors on the NES, but got rid of them some time ago. I've noticed that the second one is pretty pricey now, but the first one is actually really cheap. So I decided to pick up a copy, and I can patch it with the 2x exp/gold hack. Aside from the ye olde English charm, there's a certain charm to old RPGs like this anyway. The grindfest nature was okay when you were 12, but as an adult you don't have the time to pour into it. So patches like these really help to still be able to enjoy these games. I don't really care if its cheating. Although if I ever beat the game and enjoyed it, maybe I would consider one day playing the vanilla version.

I acquired a Dragon Quest II Famicom cart at some point. What sucks is that for the first two games (not sure about 3 or 4) the Famicom versions used passwords while the NES versions had battery saves. So I can't simply patch my DQ2 cart with the NES version. Although it might be possible to add a battery, I'll have to look into that. I haven't heard good things about the second one, regarding the difficultly.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Anapan wrote:Are the GBC versions better, or even good? I heard a lot of good things back in the day, when playing them on a GBA was popular.

I like the GBC version. I’m sure the SNES version is fine, but the 8-bit graphics make it feel more authentic. The QOL features then give it a slight edge over the NES original.

I feel the same way about DQII and DQIII.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Anapan wrote:Are the GBC versions better, or even good? I heard a lot of good things back in the day, when playing them on a GBA was popular.

I think they are quite good.
As mentioned earlier, the QOL update of not having to pull up the menu to talk, search, etc is so nice.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I prefer the GBC version.

Here's a rom hack that doubles XP and gold for those tired of the grind.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3870/