Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters

Level up here
marurun

Re: Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters

Post by marurun »

I mean, it IS 6 RPGs. That’s a lot of okay time. But I’ve heard mixed things about the remastering.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
chupon
Next-Gen

Post by chupon »

Tempted to buy the bundle but…. $250 on games I’ve already beaten - and already own on original and translated carts…. I can’t do it. I mean - come on. It is gouging.

This means the pixel remasters will likely be released digitally on the ps4, ps5 and switch in next few months.

As much as I’d love to have these - I’m not forking over the monies.
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
chupon
Next-Gen

Post by chupon »

Also - shadow dropping is stupid.
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
ZRofel
24-bit

Post by ZRofel »

Any word on if they're going to reissue it at any point? I'm not the biggest fan of the graphical tweaks they made to some of these games, but getting a physical Switch collection of the first six Final Fantasy titles would be pretty amazing, even if they're not perfect.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
opa wrote:curious if they'll make a physical cart of these if (?) the switch release rumors are true.

I would definitely buy that, despite the fact I’ve already played through all of these.

Well…I’m on the waitlist for the standard edition.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I haven't heard anything about a restock but I'd be surprised if they didn't restock at some point. However, Collection of Mana was supposed to be a Square Enix store exclusive and that did not last. You might eventually see the Pixel remaster collection in other stores.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

A few weeks ago, I decided to try FF1 Pixel Remaster. I grabbed it on the Switch eShop. It's really not bad, but...

PartridgeSenpai wrote:I've seen a friend play a good bit of the FF1 Pixel Remaster, and it was WILD. Like, the pixel art *is* very nice, that's true, but the dissonance between the graphics and the quality of the music is absolutely hilarious. It was never not noticeable and very funny, and I'm honestly not sure if that's what they were going for? It can be very hard to tell with Squenix sometimes just how sincere they're being with things <w>

Yes! I'm glad I'm not the only one to think this. It's not that the new music is bad, its that it just completely doesn't fit the PIXEL graphics. I love how people were complaining about the font for more or less the same reason, but no one has complained about the music. It's really jarring to me.

I took a quick peek at let's plays for the other Pixel Remaster games, and they all seem to have the same graphics with way over the top music. So I'm not sure if I'll be purchasing any more of these mostly for this reason. I know that on PC, you can fairly easily mod the games and change the soundtrack, but I'd rather not have to do that.

I might consider getting FF2 and FF3 Pixel Remaster, but I don't think I'd ever consider getting 4-6. I mean, being a retro gamer, I'd rather just play the SNES versions of those games. I get that it's making those games accessible to more people on modern hardware, but that's just not something that applies to me.

marurun wrote:I kind of wish someone would re-translate FF IV but keep the mechanical simplifications and adjustments that were implemented in FFII on SNES. I really liked that slightly simpler, more manageable take on the Final Fantasy model, with fewer status effects and less item juggling to fix them. That's one reason I think I loved FF IV so much and bounced harder off later FF games. Status roulette is not fun for me.

I played through the vanilla USA version of Final Fantasy IV last year and had a lot of fun just plowing through the game. I totally get what you mean. Someone actually started to translate FF4 Easy Type, but it's unfinished. Everything except the script is translated, so the game is completely playable. But I'm assuming the script is really the one thing you want re-translated, so this would kind of defeat the purpose.

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/550/
ZRofel
24-bit

Post by ZRofel »

Ziggy587 wrote:Yes! I'm glad I'm not the only one to think this. It's not that the new music is bad, its that it just completely doesn't fit the PIXEL graphics. I love how people were complaining about the font for more or less the same reason, but no one has complained about the music. It's really jarring to me.

I took a quick peek at let's plays for the other Pixel Remaster games, and they all seem to have the same graphics with way over the top music. So I'm not sure if I'll be purchasing any more of these mostly for this reason. I know that on PC, you can fairly easily mod the games and change the soundtrack, but I'd rather not have to do that.

At least with the physical version you can adjust the text and, I believe, the music too. I'd have to double-check on that second part to be sure, though. Changing the text from the default to the more pixelated one definitely makes a world of difference.

I bought the cart from Play Asia, and while it was a little on the pricey side, you're getting five of the best games ever made on it (sorry Final Fantasy II!), so I can't really say it's a bad value. I definitely have mixed feelings about the redone visuals, although playing through Final Fantasy III, it wasn't as jarring as I thought it would be. I feel like they blend a little bit better in motion than they do in a still screen shot. And some of the bug fixes and quality-of-life tweaks genuinely do improve the experience.

All-in-all, I'd say the cart is a very solid collection.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Yes, you can switch the font and music. But with the music, I feel like neither of the two options are a good fit.

I suppose with the default font, the one that everyone complains about, my first reaction was that it didn't look too good. But it really didn't bother me, and not nearly as much as the music bothers me. After finding the option, yes I switched the font and will never switch it back.

There is a music option, which I was glad to find. But when you switch it to "original" (IIRC that's what it's called) it plays 8-bit NES music. The graphics are roughly 16-bit looking, with some better lighting and water effects sprinkled around. But the default music seems too rich for these graphics. The 8-bit NES music also doesn't fit the graphics. For example, when I play SNES I don't want to hear the boops and beeps of the NES. It's kind of a Goldilocks situation, the PS1 Origins music is a much better fit for the first game. You can mod the PC version to play the music from Origins, but I bought it on Switch.

I wonder for 4, 5 and 6, if you switch the music to original if it plays the SNES style music.