Level up here
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: Final Fantasy VII: Remake: the thread

by bmoc Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:16 am

So I encountered a nasty bug last night and lost several hours of game play. When crawling around in the ventilation shaft, don't look into any of the optional vents. You might not be able to exit the scene and you will have to reload your last save.

Aside from that, the game has been fantastic. I'll probably post some spoilery thoughts when I finish it.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:26 am

bmoc wrote:So I encountered a nasty bug last night and lost several hours of game play. When crawling around in the ventilation shaft, don't look into any of the optional vents. You might not be able to exit the scene and you will have to reload your last save.

Aside from that, the game has been fantastic. I'll probably post some spoilery thoughts when I finish it.

Yeah, I ran into that bug as well, though I'm surprised it cost you several hours of gameplay. Let me guess, you did every single battle available in the VR room? I did the first couple that provided worthwhile rewards, then didn't bother doing the rest. And since the autosave is right before the required VR battle I didn't end up redoing them when I had to reload that save.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:16 am

MrPopo wrote:Yeah, I ran into that bug as well, though I'm surprised it cost you several hours of gameplay. Let me guess, you did every single battle available in the VR room? I did the first couple that provided worthwhile rewards, then didn't bother doing the rest. And since the autosave is right before the required VR battle I didn't end up redoing them when I had to reload that save.

That is pretty much what happened. The autosave was right after the required VR battle. I didn't do the VR battles again after losing the progress. It is just as well though. I beat the game last night and it turns out that EXP and AP are doubled in the post game. I still have to do the Battle Intel mission where you get all the green materia to max...F'ing Revive materia. Completing the VR missions and all the Battle Intel missions are supposedly required to get a certain summon materia.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:38 pm

Quick update. I did all but one VR mission and finished the Battle Intel reports. The battle to get that summon materia became available as soon as I finished the Battle Intel reports. I am pretty sure that the VR missions are not required for that. Getting that particular summon materia is no joke. I am going to have to do some grinding to beat that fight.

Speaking of which, the two man VR mission is really good for quick AP. Just make sure Barrett is one of your party members and that he has a ranged weapon equipped.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:12 am

Final Thoughts (Major spoilers and future game predictions)

After two mediocre outings in the mainline non-MMO Final Fantasy games, I have to say that I am really surprised FFVII Remake is as good as it is. Square-Enix really delivered. It was worth the wait.

FFVII Remake expanded on Midgar in all the right ways. Everything I was hoping to see was still included in some fashion. At first I was a little disappointed that I didn't encounter the goofy Hell House enemy from the first game on the way to Wall Market. But then the Wall Market Colosseum happened and I was smiling ear to ear. Similarly, I was getting close to the end of the train graveyard and was wondering if I would see Eilgor (the really hard to encounter random enemy that has a really good weapon for Aerith). Turns out they made him the boss of the train graveyard and he looked amazing! And he still had a weapon you can steal for Aerith.

I only have one nitpick about the additions and that is Roche. He didn't serve much of a purpose in the this game other than to give players a boss to fight in the additional motorcycle encounter. Then he is used to get you out of trouble when you are out manned. It seems like he is being set up to be Cloud's anime trope rival. Maybe he will payoff bigger in later games.

There is one other addition that must be mentioned. The Whispers. They show up throughout the game and meddle in certain events. Aerith seems to know something about them but doesn't reveal much until you encounter them with Red XIII. It is revealed that they are arbiters of fate and they are trying to ensure that important events unfold in a manner prescribed by destiny. I believe that they are trying make the events happen the way they did in the original game. When you defeat the big grand daddy Whisper, the world of FFVII Remake is no longer bound by the events of the original game. Characters that died are seen as being alive and well - Biggs and Zack confirmed. Wedge may still be alive and if Biggs survived then maybe Jessie did as well.

When Cloud spoke to Sephiroth at the Edge of Creation, he mentioned that Cloud would only have 7 seconds to react (to something). I think that something is when he tries to kill Aerith. No longer being bound by fate, Cloud (or someone else) might be able to save her. Someone else might die in her place. We just won't know until it happens because anything goes now. The next game(s) will take us into uncharted territory and give the developers more freedom to make things interesting.

I think it is a good direction to go and I can't wait to see what happens next.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:25 pm

Response to your spoilers.
I saw someone point out that in the original ending of FFVII, when the Lifestream hits Meteor the screen transitions back to Aerith in the beginning cinematic looking at the leaking mako pipe, then there's a cut to the future with Red XIII's family. It seems like the game is going with the idea that Aerith watched the events of FFVII original while looking at the pipe, and then when Lifestream hits Meteor she comes out of the vision and we have the beginning of FFVIIR. Which is why the Whispers are first seen causing her trouble; she's going to try and change fate, and then the party gets drawn up with it.

Apologies to anyone who saw this before I fixed the missing end spoiler tag.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:43 pm

Fart

Mod text: Added spoiler tags because the game still just came out.
Last edited by Sload Soap on Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:18 pm

Sigh.
Return to RPG