Level up here
SpaceBooger

Dragon Quest VIII - 3ds vs PS2

by SpaceBooger Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:47 pm

I have DQ8 for the PS2 and have never since too much time into it. I'm almost done with VAY and am looking to my next game.
If I were to choose this game is the 3ds version that much better? And along with the portability make it work a purchase if I already own the original version?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: Dragon Quest VIII - 3ds vs PS2

by PartridgeSenpai Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:20 am

The PS2 version would certainly look better, but it would appear that the 3DS port has a substantial list of extra features, many quite significant that would lead me to say that the 3DS port is the definitive version unless you're really a stickler for the presentation quality of the PS2 original.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
RLH

Re: Dragon Quest VIII - 3ds vs PS2

by RLH Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:39 pm

I managed to get about 30% through the PS2 game before I moved and lost a lot of time to game. About 4 years ago I downloaded this for the iPhone. I was surprised how well it translated to mobile. I can't say if there is a big difference between this and the PS2 version, but it looks great.

The only knit-pick with it that I had was that the ported the game in portrait mode. It works quite well for your cell, but if you want to use it with an AppleTV, then you can't rotate the screen and fit it to your HD TV well. But, that really is a minor complaint. It plays very well as a mobile game.
Return to RPG