Level up here
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Re: RB Final Fantasy XI Thread

by Nemoide Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:35 pm

I played FF XI for about 6 months back in 2013. It wasn't BAD-BAD, but I found it REALLY rides the line between fun/not fun. Like, I'd spend hours getting a skill to go up 0.2 points which provided just about no benefit. I'm not really a huge multiplayer kind of guy and didn't like how the game expects you to join a party. I eventually found some folks willing to help me complete quests, I beat the "main storyline" (ie the final boss before any of the expansions came out) and promptly decided that I was wasting my time trying to progress in the game. They were also doing Dragon Quest X crossover events which didn't help because they just made me think about how much I'd rather be playing a Dragon Quest game.

I know Square occasionally offers "free return to the game" campaigns, but since I played on Xbox 360 and those servers got shut down, I'm under the impression that my character is gone forever. I don't really feel right playing a Final Fantasy game on my PC anyway.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:38 pm

About the only thing you need to skill up directly are Automaton skills. Everything else has books you can buy with Sparks. It's still tedious, in a way, a relic of the original design...but tends to be something you can knock out fairly quickly. It does make jobs with a variety of magic skills (particularly) a bit of a project though. There are just good ways to skillup things like melee weapons that really don't take too long.

While it is largely designed around partying, years back they did implement Trust magic (the same-ish thing that XIV has started putting in) wherein you can summon various NPCs to fill out a group. Effectively, the game is soloable now through story and maybe midrange endgame content (depending on job, etc).

Unlike how XIV does it (I think?), accounts are not, and have never been platform specific. The PC client is technically a free download, though one that doesn't do much good without a content ID/etc. They just did a free login period last week or so ago, so it'll likely be a few months before they do another.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:12 pm

isiolia wrote:Only drop I haven't gotten from Gin is Ashera Harness, and the body drops are incredibly rare (many that people have now are from AMAN Trove, not Omen :? ).

Yeah, I remember the Ranger forums, in particular, lamenting the drop rate on Omen bodies. (I got that initial Mars Orb for AMAN Trove, but I'm afraid to use it, because I assume that my luck would give me a mimic within the first two wooden boxes. I should really just pay someone with actually good luck to open them for me.)

So you already have all the Gin's Scales you need for artifact upgrades? As nice as it would be to upgrade my bonnet, for the WSD, or maybe, possibly get a Sherida Earring, or something, it's a little lower on the priorities for me, right now. If you happened to have some free time to help me with anything, I'd really just want to do Ambuscade. I need that Tauret.

Speaking of which, I'm almost a third of the way to the Kaja Dagger, at least--. I'm already getting so tired of the mandragoras, and I realized yesterday that, near death, the VD mandy throws out this doom that got me when he called out his little minions. I was shocked, because I hadn't noticed it before. I thought it was just curse, since I had remembered the guide I saw talk about it having a curse attack. I've been able to kind of avoid it since that death, though. Takes me a little bit longer trying to play it safe, and not get doomed before he's about to bring out the little dudes.

Oh, also, I happened to get a BLM Voidfoot out of the gobbiedial the other day, and made a cool 5 mil. That was a nice little bonus. Took me a bunch of time to send all of that money from my mule to my main, though.

Nemoide wrote:I played FF XI for about 6 months back in 2013. It wasn't BAD-BAD, but I found it REALLY rides the line between fun/not fun. Like, I'd spend hours getting a skill to go up 0.2 points which provided just about no benefit. I'm not really a huge multiplayer kind of guy and didn't like how the game expects you to join a party. I eventually found some folks willing to help me complete quests, I beat the "main storyline" (ie the final boss before any of the expansions came out) and promptly decided that I was wasting my time trying to progress in the game. They were also doing Dragon Quest X crossover events which didn't help because they just made me think about how much I'd rather be playing a Dragon Quest game.

I know Square occasionally offers "free return to the game" campaigns, but since I played on Xbox 360 and those servers got shut down, I'm under the impression that my character is gone forever. I don't really feel right playing a Final Fantasy game on my PC anyway.

It's a very different game from what it was like back then. I think that was a little after they started to really ease a lot of the older content, but there was still voidwatch, which was just being implemented when I stopped playing for a good long time. Voidwatch is a right bugger, and I feel like it must have been terrible to do at the time, but I don't really know. I wasn't there. It seems like there was a good four or five years in there that just wouldn't have been great. A lot of people really hated Abyssea, as well. I didn't like it a whole lot, but I was still able to accomplish some things in it.

Skilling up was always a tricky thing. There's a whole thing about how the chances of skill ups worked, and it was dependent on monster level compared with the job level associated with the current skill level. They were always pretty slow, but really what you had to do was go fight things that were higher level, and usually that required a party. Even if you wanted to do it the old fashioned way, and forgo the skillup books Isiolia mentioned, it's a much simpler process than it was. There are earrings that increase the rate of either magical or physical skillups even further, and sometimes they have even higher skillup frequencies included in the monthly perks they do now. I don't even think about skillups anymore. It's just completely a non-issue.

So, also, as long as you didn't say to delete your character when you quit your subscription, then your character is probably still alive. It may have been migrated into another server when they defunct some of them, but I think that may have already been finished by 2013. I'm pretty sure PC is the only option for the game now. I believe they had tried to still allow some of the Japanese playerbase to continue to use the PS2 version, with something about how they rolled out updates, and trying to keep the entire install within the limits of the pack-in HDD, but I think they abandoned that sometime recently. I often forget that XI was ever available for Xbox 360.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:53 am

A not-super-timely reminder that there's a Discount Campaign going on (has been since last week). So, the complete game is just $9.99 while that's going on, and the first month subscription is included in that. It's a great time to give the game a try if you've been considering it.

They are also running the free login this week-ish, and of course a variety of nice monthly campaigns, including a bunch that'd get someone up to speed fast (XP/CP boosts, bunch of Trust availability, etc). While they do run campaigns every month, the eleventh month gives them a reason to go big.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:15 pm

I saw the email for the return home campaign, and was kind of dejected because it's probably the worst possible timing. It only goes until Monday, I think, right?
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:57 pm

isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Mon May 11, 2020 2:40 pm

Free login campaign coming up in a few days if you have an existing account. Discount campaign is also running during that time if you don't. 15th to the 25th.

There's also increased XP/CP as part of this month's campaigns.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:47 pm

Complete collection is on sale for $6 as part of their Black Friday sale.

(XIV is also 50% off)
Return to RPG