13%
Momotaro Densetsu Turbo
No votes

Total votes : 8
pierrot
Next-Gen

The Great PC Engine RPG Excursion of 2018

by pierrot Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:19 pm

I'm unlikely to finish anywhere near my normal volume of games for this calendar year, so I'm thinking of just making it the year of the RPG for me. I'm getting close to the end of DQ VI, and I could stick with the SFC, but I've been getting these slight twinges of discomfort in the last joints in my middle and ring fingers on my left hand, and for now I'm attributing it to how much I've been using the SFC controller lately. (The Avenue 6 Pad that I have isn't necessarily tremendously better for me, so I reserve the right to change this to a Mega Drive/CD RPG theme at any time--getting old is a bitch.)

So, my idea is this: Perhaps in late August, or September (depending on how much more of my summer challenge list I bother with, and how I do with finally finishing the third chapter of Arcus), I'll start knocking out RPGs that I have for the PC Engine, with the goal of finishing (just about) all of the ones I own, while doing a bit of logging of my progress in this thread.

For reference, these are the games that I own, and have not beaten:
  • Emerald Dragon
  • Kaze no Densetsu Xanadu
  • Kaze no Densetsu Xanadu II
  • Monster Maker: Yami no Ryukishi
  • Sol Bianca
  • Makai Hakkenden Shada
  • Momotaro Densetsu Turbo
  • Momotaro Densetsu II
I also have Burai II, Cosmic Fantasy 3, Jaseiken Necromancer, and Susa-no-Ou Densetsu, but I have Burai and Cosmic Fantasy Stories on the Mega CD, which I haven't played yet. I've played a bit of the latter two PC Engine games a couple years ago, and neither one seems to be very quality; So, I'm probably unlikely to play those two until I've got nothing left.

Here's where I ask for the help of Racketeers everywhere. What RPG would you have me play first? Pretty much all of the poll options are games I've been meaning to play for quite a while now. I'm happy to start with any of them, but it'll be a bit before I really begin this in earnest, so why not fill some of that time with a poll! Everyone likes polls, right? The option with the most tallies after a few days will be the first RPG I tackle in my PC Engine RPG backlog. I may or may not consult the results for the order of games after the first one, later on.
Last edited by pierrot on Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
MrPopo

Re: PC Engine RPG Extravaganza

by MrPopo Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:28 pm

My unhelpful vote is for Xanadu, but I have zero context on any of them.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:04 pm

Totally cool. The poll is more about leaving it up to the winds of chance, than necessarily being directed to the "best" of the bunch. Thanks for whittling it down to at least a coin toss, Popo!
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:07 pm

Xanadu looks cool. Of course, there's a patch in the works.
marurun

by marurun Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:18 pm

The voice work is really dragging that patch down, and Pierrot doesn’t need it. Xanadu is awesome, but I voted Emerald Dragon.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:57 pm

I wish I knew Japanese sometimes. While I've got no limit on the stuff I can play, I'd still like to experience some of that vaunted PC Engine CD library.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: The Great PC Engine RPG Excursion of 2018 (with POLL)

by pierrot Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:37 pm

I changed the thread name, just for a little more color.

I really thought that translation patch had been finished a long time ago, the way it was talked about. Sad to hear it's been pushed back, for everyone who was looking forward to it. Was it being done by the same group who worked on Ys IV?

Kaze no Densetsu Xanadu is probably the one I feel most obligated to play out of the gate. I need to find that stupid runaway who has refused to let me find him the two times I've started it in the past. I don't love bump combat though, so if anyone wants to support the dark horses in this race, I'm cool with that.

Thanks for the input so far, everyone.
marurun

by marurun Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:06 pm

Oh, the Xanadu and Xanadu II text translations have been done and inserted for some time. The issue is the voice acting and the translator’s new family. The voice work is just really slow.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:55 pm

Xanadu, it's a rich series with lots of main line and splinter off stories which include even Faxanadu and Legacy of the Wizard on NES/FC. Within the last year one of the Xanadu games also belatedly hit translated into english the GoG services and it's pretty nice.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:59 am

The Legend of Xanadu - and its sequel - are two of the best games ever made. This is the obvious choice.

I loved Emerald Dragon on Super Famicom. Derped around a bit with the PCE port and liked what I played. That'd be my second choice.

I know little of the others, despite being a huge JRPG nerd.
Return to RPG