Level up here
Ack

Games like X-COM

by Ack Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:43 am

I know there are a lot of X-COM fans on here, and since I've gotten back into playing Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate, I thought I ask about similar tactical games with RPG elements. What games combine strategy/tactics and some form of RPG system for your units like these? Does Syndicate do so?

Also, last night I took down a Chaos Dreadnought and then pushed into a desecrated temple with squads of Terminators and Assault marines to pry a portal from the Wordbearers' cold, dead hands. Seriously, you guys need to play Chaos Gate.
MrPopo

Re: Games like X-COM

by MrPopo Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:15 pm

As I understand it, Syndicate's character building comes from upgrading them with better implants, so you want to keep individual people alive to not lose those resources. I don't know if it has any form of pause or if it's 100% realtime in combats.

The UFO: Afterblank games are built as X-COM successors, though I could never get into them. Xenonauts is slightly more complicated X-COM. Mario vs. Rabbids or whatever it it's called is on the Switch, though I don't know if it has any RPG elements.

Obviously, every game in the Tactics Ogre vein combines strategic movement with RPG growth.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:53 pm

Although I've never played it to completion, Syndicate really is pretty great and Popo gave a pretty good description of it. IIRC, I think you can pause it, but I played it on Atari Jaguar and quite a while back at that. Based on comments you've made in the past I think you'd dig the setting and dark humor. I actually reviewed this game on another site (as part of a Random Retro Game Review project that was kinda, sorta, like Together Retro).

If that sounds appealing, but you're in the mood for something a bit more modern (yeah right :lol:), Satellite Reign looks like a really nice spiritual successor to the old school Syndicate formula.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:17 pm

I can't believe I forgot Satellite Reign; I KS'd it.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:00 pm

Looks like Satellite Reign is free on Humble Bundle from now until Saturday (4/21/2018). Can't beat that! :D
Kuruwin
64-bit

by Kuruwin Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:43 pm

Aren't really like XCOM but the Warlord RTS games have units that gain exp and carry over from mission to mission. I've only played the third game a little so i can't vouch for quality.

Units in LOTR RTS (EA one) also carry over and the second game has that world map conquest mode.
Return to RPG