SRPG Reccomendations

Level up here
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

SRPG Reccomendations

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

Alllrrrrighty, this seems to be my next thing to investigate. I'm looking at PS1, which has a decent handful, although I'm more than happy to take suggestions on any of the consoles I have available, which include PS1, PS3, PS4, Gamecube, N64 (I mean, besides Ogre Battle, if any thing exists), and any of the Gameboy systems. Will also accept Wii suggestions, since I'll be grabbing that soon enough.

For PS1, Tactics Ogre and FF Tactics automatically jump out, as to the other systems, I know of the modern XCom games on PS3/4. Otherwise, I'm all ears!
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Segata
Next-Gen

Re: SRPG Reccomendations

Post by Segata »

Modern fire Emblem games are pretty easy to get into. So like Awakening, Birthright, Echoes.

Tear Ring Saga on PS1-PS2 from the creator of FE series.

Shadows of the Tusk is a Saturn Japan only game but is in English natively. I have no idea why.

Dragon Force SEGA Saturn is a must. Oh, my that game is awesome.

Shining Force 1-3. II and III are the best IMO. First 2 are on the SEGA Genesis collection on PS3/360

Langrisser games tho not sure they ever were localized. Maybe a fan translation?

Advance Wars games are fantastic. They honestly don't feel like a Nintendo developed game but someone at SNK made an SRPG on a Nintendo platform. Some of those are on Eshop and the others on DS.

I never played the Falcom crossover games but hear they are quite good. They were made and ported to modern systems like DS and such.

Valkyria Chronicles is a must have on PS3 or PS4.

I wish Grand Kingdom (PSP) & A.S.H (DS) were localized. Fantastic games.

Not played it but Grand Kingdom received good reviews on PS4.

I know some of these are not on systems you asked for but I still have to mention them because it would be such a disservice not to.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Buy a Vita and get Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Okay, for the systems you have available, get:

PS1 (check PSN for a cheaper route):
Arc the Lad Collection (games are split up on PSN)
Battle Hunter (cheap!)
Final Fantasy Tactics
Front Mission 3
Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth
Kartia: The Word of Fate
Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Vandal Hearts
Vandal Hearts II

Nintendo 64
Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber

Game Boy Advance
CIMA: The Enemy
Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon

This is to ease you in, I left off imports and expensive games.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Hey folks, for those who have played, what are your thoughts on Saiyuki: The Journey West on PS1? Is it any good? It's been sitting in my collection for years.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Not a big fan of this genre or one that I try too hard to dive further into, but the few I've played I really adore.

Arc the Lad 1-2
Shining Force 1 (need to play more of these)
Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together and Knight of Lodis
FFT

I guess that's it. I liked the GBA Fire Emblem games but I don't think I need to play anymore of them.

I think overall Arc the Lad 2 stands out as one of the coolest in the genre, because you could actually walk around in towns and in dungeons to interact with things like traditional JRPG's. 9 times out of 10 these games are just text driven menus. But Arc 2's extra interactivity was really cool. The first two games also connect directly, so it's like one huge game.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Then you really need Shining Force II; in between battles they've extended the RPG elements from what Shining Force I had. And there's an overworld to get from battle to battle, rather than just automatically progressing. The GG releases are also solid (and the first two are available in the Shining Force CD compilation) but those are fully menu driven outside of battle.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

No question if you love Shining Force in any capacity, Arc the Lad, especially the second game, is a no-brainer. I think it may actually be even better in some ways.

I don't know if it has aged well, but I also really, really enjoyed Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits. It is also ridiculously cheap, and it's also on PSN if you want to dump $15 into an up-res version.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Ack wrote:Hey folks, for those who have played, what are your thoughts on Saiyuki: The Journey West on PS1? Is it any good? It's been sitting in my collection for years.

Saiyuki is one of the most under rated games I think I have ever played.

The story is basically a retelling of the Journey West folklore. It has all the characters like a Monkey and they all become your party members.

Saiyuki is also one of the shorter JRPG's, only being about 30 hours or so. The game has humor and is very light in the game play element.

If you want a deep and meaty game, then Saiyuki is not for you. However, if you want something a bit lighter, not too long and just an enjoyable romp, then I would highly suggest it.

I absolutely adored the game and think it is a hidden gem. It's a perfect game to play after a thick and hearty game like FFTactics or Hoshigami.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Oh yeah, I suppose Forlorn Drifter could play the first two Shining Force entries on PS3 via Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. Essential games.