Let's discuss Namco's Tales series (and help others learn).

Level up here
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Let's discuss Namco's Tales series (and help others lear

Post by Xeogred »

I think FFIX's skill system was exactly the same as Lost Odyssey's, you learn stuff from equipment and or accessories.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Xeogred wrote:I think FFIX's skill system was exactly the same as Lost Odyssey's, you learn stuff from equipment and or accessories.

Oh yeahhhhhhh! That's exactly how Vesperia's system worked as well. I liked that system. Isn't Berseria in the same world? Or is that Zestiria?

Out of the myriad of ways the Tales games have handled non-Arte skills, I'd say Vesperia's is probably my favorite. It made finding a new weapon so exciting, even if it wasn't necissarily better than the one you were currently using. On that note, I also really liked Graces' as well. It made all the titles you get seem so much more significant than just slightly boosting your stats differently or changing your costume.

Least favorite I'd say has to be Symphonia. I really wasn't a fan of the single-use crystals you used to get them and the limited number of slots you had to experiment with. Then there were the hidden passives that having certain skills at the same time could give you that you had no way of knowing about. It really didn't help my qualms with that game's combat system.

--

On ANOTHER note, apparently Xillia, which I have been pronouncing as /zill-ee-ya/ is actually pronounced /eks-ill-ee-ya/. At the very least that's how it's pronounced in Japanese O.o
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:
Xeogred wrote:I think FFIX's skill system was exactly the same as Lost Odyssey's, you learn stuff from equipment and or accessories.

Oh yeahhhhhhh! That's exactly how Vesperia's system worked as well. I liked that system. Isn't Berseria in the same world? Or is that Zestiria?

Berseria is 1000 years before Zestiria.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Out of interest, just how many Tales games have you beaten, Popo sensei? It just seems like you're the one with some of the most experience out of any of us, here.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Phantasia
Destiny
Symphonia
Vesperia
Graces f
Xillia
Xillia 2
Zestiria
Berseria

I've also gotten midway through Dawn of the New World and Innocence and about 10 minutes into Eternia.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.