Level up here
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Re: Final Fantasy XV

by dunpeal2064 Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:23 pm

Cool to see someone else break them up in a similar fashion :)

It would drag the thread way too off topic, but I think it would be interesting to delve into what aspects are most important in the games to us individually, since that certainly would bring to light what games do certain aspects well/poorly, and I think there are many different things that people enjoy about the FF games in particular.

I like that our "Tier 4" is the exact same :lol:
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:38 pm

Tier 1: IV, V, VI, VII
Tier 2: X, XIII-2
Tier 3: VIII, IX, XII
Tier 4: III, XIII
Tier 5: I, II, XV

What version of V did you play Sarge? The PSX Anthology release has an absurdly bad translation. When I played the GBA version many years later I found a new love for it to the point that ExDeath is easily my favorite main villain of the series now. That gap was 10 years though, so... the Anthology version left a terrible mark. Glad I gave it another whirl. I plan to play the SNES fan translation next time. The job system will lend itself well to replays.

VIII is a weird one that I loved at the time but have failed to replay 3 times now. Best left in the past I guess.

I guess X-2 and Lightning Returns are tier 6 as I didn't even want to finish them. I actually never beat XII, but really enjoyed the big chunk I played.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:48 pm

Most of my time was spent with the RPGe translation of the SFC game. I just burned out on it towards the end, and I had a nagging feeling that I was "playing it wrong" the entire time. Which may well be true.

I do have the GBA version as well, which is, by all accounts, the definitive version of the game. And... actually, I do have the PSX version, which I'd completely forgotten about. :lol: I sure do own a lot of copies of a game I didn't really like a ton!
Kuruwin
64-bit

by Kuruwin Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:31 am

I have tried all the main FF games expect 1-2 ,8 and nine i'm still currently working on and 10 i haven't really played far. Four i have played up to "metal mountain" on both DS and PSP and i should get back to the PSP port at some point.

So it's early to really rank the games but i do it anyways because at least the 13 sequels add fluff. Almost forgot to mention 13. I haven't actually completed it but i'm like 1-2 hour's from the ending. Last time i tried to complete it i almost had a mental breakdown because of it so i don't know if i ever manage to get through it :D

Tier 1:FF6,FF7, FF13-2.
Tier 2: Out of the top 3 it's hard for me to say what really deserves the first and what second tier so i'm putting rest on tier 1.
Tier 3:FF12 (deeply flawed but still kinda good)
Tier 4:FF5, Lighting Returns, FF3 DS (forgettable tier)
Tier 5:FF13 and FF15 (awful tier)

FF9 either goes to 3&4 tier. It start's out really strong but after the disc 1 it's mostly pretty meeh. It all depends on the finale really.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:19 am

13-2 as top FF games? No god no! and IX as Tier 3? No way. VI and IX are easily the best. XII I will boldy say is better than X. X actually shares many things with XIII that people hate XIII for.VII is ok but so vastly overrated(overrated doesn't mean bad). Mainly gets the love because it was most peoples first and it was the first in 3D. If you ask Sakaguchi which is best..he says IX. I can't argue with him even tho I feel VI is and IX is second. V and IV are up in there as well. All FF13 games are gutter trash. The best 7th gen Final Fantasy games however are Lost Odyssey and The Last Story. Hell they are better than any FF from 6th as well. So far even 9th. XV is a good game but the story needs to be filled in more. What holds it back the most.

Anyway didn't come here to post about that.
I finished FFXV back in December. It's a good game with problems that mostly lie in narrative. A lot of payoffs without setup. Still an enjoyable game and the music is great. I expect nothing less from the woman who worked on Xenoblade and gave us all Guiles theme.

Well I picked the game back up just cause and on Chapter 15 which is post game. I one shot the Adamantoise. I only need 2 trophies to get a Plat. I am working on the secret dungeons and was so looking forward to these...wow what a letdown. It's just level after level of somewhat high level regular enemies. The bosses so far after 2 of these are just high level regular enemies. This was the mega great evil that was so hyped up? Meh. I mean it's good farming and did get some weapons slightly better than what I have (which are the legendary weapons) but oh well. Probably finish them for the trophy. Normally don't care that much about them but when this close to a Plat..why not.
Sano
Next-Gen

by Sano Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:06 am

I am really enjoying XV (No... I haven't beaten it yet .. ahe!).

I have VII, IX, X & X-2, XII, and XV. I also have IV and maybe a few others from downloads on my DS (whatever ones are available..). I have XI and XIV as well, if you want to count them. Out of all of them I have only beaten VII >.> I am a slacker I know.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:42 pm

Well after hours of fishing for s person who greatly dislikes fishing. I got the Plat in FFXV and my first real one. 2nd overall. That's the last of this kinda thing I wanna do for a long long long time.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:20 am

I ordered this finally now that it is down to about $20. I'm curious to see what I can make of it...
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:13 am

I know a lot of folks here are down on it, but it's okay to good. I enjoyed my time with it as long as I mostly stuck to the story bits.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:23 pm

dsheinem wrote:I ordered this finally now that it is down to about $20. I'm curious to see what I can make of it...

Good but incomplete story. What is there is good but could have been better. I'm not sure everyone is like me but I'm enjoying post game more than main. It's nothign against main game I just like having the world fully open and dungeon crawling beast hunting and taking on the secret stuff. I feel it's a game that grows on you as it goes on.
Return to RPG