Next-Gen

Re: Final Fantasy XV

by noiseredux Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:55 pm

Sweet.
Kuruwin
64-bit

by Kuruwin Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:45 am

Beat this on saturday and i loved it so much that i cant decide whether it or FF13 is the worst Final Fantasy game.

I knew that the they weren't going to deliver with the story but because the gameplay was so bad it made the bad story to stand out even more.

Or more precise would be to say the lack of a story because the problem really isn't that the story is bad. The problem is that it's really poorly delivered and paced and it so does feel like half the segments are missing. It feel's really cheap with it's scenes that try to be tearjerkers because there's no emotional connection there. People applaud this game for it's bromance but i never really got attached to them either. I can see that they are good friends just like i can see that Noctis loves Luna deeply but like i said there's no emotional connection between me and the characters so i didn't care about them.

The main villain is pretty interesting and his english voice actor does a superb job playing him but the script for him was kinda bad at places and he really should have been in a better game. He is also the only villain that really
does win at the end. People keep saying that Kefka succeeded but no he didn't. The last time i checked i kicked his sorry ass at the end of the game.

Last two things need to be said that there are characters that clearly were meant to play bigger part on the story but one of them only appears in ONE CUTSCENE and other only shows two times in the game. The other thing is that i hated those pointless flashy God Of War styled fight's. The
Leviathan fight was just tedious

But on to the gameplay. I could have come out with positive experience even though the story was badly told if the gameplay was done well but this game is such a colossal fuck up when it comes to the gameplay. This game was in developement for 10 fucking years yet is filled with ton's of small annoyances that stack up and completely ruin the game.

There's so many of those little flaws that i could rant about them all day long so i'm only going to give one good example of what i mean.

For instance when you look at the map you can't see location of all quest's there. Only way to see the quests on the map is going through them individually on the quest tab on the map page. Might not sound too bad (eventhough it's one of the millions ways of small ways that the game wastes your time) but when you tie it with the fact that only the active quests actually shows on the minimap it can become a source of frustrations.

At one point of the game i had this hunt quest that took me top of this boring moutain that constituted as a dungeon. Well i killed the boss and i went down and shortly after that i noticed that i had a quest where i should have taken pictures at the top. So just because that quest didn't show on the world map nor on the minimap i would have had to trek all the way back up to complete that quest. It was immediate fuck no because the dungeon included big strech where you just slowly walk up and tedious climbing sections where you just push the thumbstick up (this game has a lot of this sort of tediousness)

You also can't see quests that need to be returned on the minimap either so you might go to a city to return quest and go off to do the next one and then notice that you had quest waited to be returned right next to the last guy *sigh.

This game is full of this sort of shit bad design and by the end of the game i was so full of it that the game was downgraded from mediocre to downright garbage. Outside of Ardyn's voice actor, 2 good tracks and the the camermans photofeature there wasn't really anything i enjoyed about the game.

The quests are all boring fetch quests that have even less story than your average MMORPG quest. The dungeons are all tedious and ugly and by the end of the game i was almost going mad from the all the rolling that you do in this game because there's so much ground to cover.

I won't go into detail but i also hated the combat and like i said the story sucked too and the game actually doesn't even look good. Witcher 3 was also a open world RPG (eventhough it was divided on to sections) yet it's world seems to look beatiful (i'm less than 10 hour's into it) The world in this game is so lifeless and ugly that i actually never explored it after those intial 2-3 hours. I just went where the quests took me.

Add all those tiny screwup's to the mix and you have game that is nothing but tediousness and frustration. Eventhough FF13 is also boring and it's story and characters are terrible it still feels like more competent game and at least it looked gorgeous when it came out and the music is still great.

This otherhand has nothing going on for it expect that sliver of potential that was buried under all the garbage. This game is never going to be fixed. The amount of work it would take to really make the story satisfying is just too big of ordeal to Square Enix to keep pumping money on to this. They might add scenes here and there but small additions won't fix it.

And even if the story would be fixed it's still a tedious game. Good example of that is that the very end when the game is suppose to hit the climax you actually end up COLLECTING KEYCARDS ON A BOORING ASS INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX FOR TWO FUCKING HOURS.

The people that thought that was a splendid idea should be put on front of a firing squad.

*sigh
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:52 am

At this point after being away from the game for a few months now, I think I can confidently say I like XIII more. For anyone curious just check my posts throughout this thread for the comparisons... as flawed as XIII is, I think it's better than XV.

Breath of the Wild is doing a great job washing this away further.

Even my roommate who was higher on FFXV is now saying "Horizon seems to do everything far better".

And Xenoblade was better.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:50 am

I vastly prefer XIII to XV.

I have a little "tier" list of FF games in ma brain, and XV is in the 2nd-to-lowest tier.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:32 am

well the divisive reaction to XV is what has made me interested. By the way I did enjoy XIII (though I enjoyed XIII-2 wayyyyy more). Anyway, I had traded in some extra accessories to a local game store so got XV for "free." I installed it over the weekend, and tried the little tutorial thing. I don't know how I'll feel about the combat. We'll see. At any rate, I'm curious because it seems like a love it or hate it affair. Not sure how soon I'll get around to sink serious time in though.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:05 am

dunpeal2064 wrote:I vastly prefer XIII to XV.

I have a little "tier" list of FF games in ma brain, and XV is in the 2nd-to-lowest tier.

You tease and make me want to see this full tier list. :P :lol:
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:16 am

I wouldn't say I vastly preferred XIII, but I did prefer it. I thought the combat was fun in this one. I think some of the criticisms that Kuruwin brings up are legitimate, though. The quest system is basically broken in terms of proper tracking. It, and the map as a whole, is pretty terrible. That wasn't enough to sour me on the game, but I have a surprisingly high tolerance for little annoyances. I should also note that after a bit, I made a beeline for the end of the game. Mostly after I'd taken out an enemy base that boosted me around ten levels because I was underleveled for it. (Yay for a well-placed piece of artillery!)

It wouldn't surprise me if I went back to it after some time. It also wouldn't surprise me if I never played it again, 'cause I've got that backlog library, ya know?
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:26 am

Xeogred wrote:
dunpeal2064 wrote:I vastly prefer XIII to XV.

You tease and make me want to see this full tier list. :P :lol:

I don't mind sharing! Feel free to fully berate me for some likely idiotic choices :)

*This is only counting the numbered, non-mmo games.

Tier 1: VI, VII, X

Tier 2: IV, IX, XIII

Tier 3: V, VIII

Tier 4: XII, XV

Tier 5: I, II, III

Tiers 1 & 2 are very close, those 6 are by a large margin my favorite FF games.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:59 am

If I had to do my list...

FFVI > FFIV = FFIII = FFX > FFVIII > FFXIII = FFVII = FFI > FFXV > FFXII = FFIX > FFV > FFII

Simplifying into a tier list...

Tier 1: VI
Tier 2: III, IV, VIII, X
Tier 3: I, VII, XIII
Tier 4: XII, XV
Tier 5: II, V, IX

Can't really weigh in on FFXII-2/3, not enough time into them. Ditto FFX-2.

The tiers are pretty tightly grouped, honestly, with the lowest score I've given a game in tier 4 being a 7.5. The bottom tier shows the most variance, but I grouped 'em all together, anyway. FFII is the lowest by far, but even that has elements that are solid, and the Dawn of Souls version is actually quite good. I never did cotton to V, and IX was a real struggle to finish.
Return to RPG