Level up here
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Final Fantasy XV

by ZeroAX Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:33 am

Interesting that I couldn't even find a thread about this game on the forums.

Has anyone here played it? It seems to have a had a more positive welcome than FF XIII, but partially that seems to be also because the brand has gotten so tarnished nobody was expecting that much (talking about reviewers).

I was curious what long time fans of the series thought, since I almost bought a PS4 for this, but then remembered how "it's ok" I felt about the previous game in the series.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Final Fantasy XV

by Xeogred Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:22 am

We've been talking about it in the RPG threads, but its own thread is good at this point.

It's awesome. It's extremely quirky and weird, per usual with Japanese taking on open world (see Phantom Pain). Some stuff works and some doesn't. But it's this experimentation that I love about it and feels like FF of the old. The combat is a lot more fun than it looked originally. I'm very burned out on open world/sandbox stuff with all the side missions and collectibles, but I just spent 6 hours playing this yesterday and it felt like nothing. The map is big but seems very doable and there's icons sprinkled throughout, hunts to do, side missions, etc, but it doesn't feel ridiculously over the top like other open world games.

Key difference between this and XIII goes like this... in XIII most of the characters -literally- hated each other. There is no care or bond whatsoever throughout most of it. There's even a point where one character wanted to kill someone else in the party, maybe that happened a few more times over. FFXV? These dudes love one another and it's amazing. They care means I care. And my friend discovered something amazing:

Noctis - Leonardo
Gladiolus - Raphael
Prompto - Michelangelo
Ignis - Donnetello

It's... so true. These four heroes of the light are the FF Ninja Turtles.

Other key difference from XIII is that unlike XIII, that required players to dive head deep into the logbooks and all these walls of text within the game to even have a fraction of a clue as to what was going on in its convoluted story and world with made up science and words... FFXV is a completely simple story so far. Noctis is off to wed his childhood friend princess from another nation, to bond a peace treaty tie between the two nations. Things go wrong and so he's off on a journey to find her and save the nations. There's no floating moon planet here, no made up science or pages of logbooks, or bad robotic Shakespearean dialogue, etc.

Had a blast yesterday and can't wait to spend all day in it again. The game feels incredibly serene in an awesome way. It's just damn fun and simple. I think it's the best route Square could have gone after the huge wait. From what I've gathered it's getting a warm reception everywhere from new and old fans, people who were completely fed up of a decade of XIII, etc. Thumbs up.
Juan Aguacate
24-bit

by Juan Aguacate Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:11 am

I have it, but haven't played much of it yet. The car pushing scene which opens the game is quite charming

I have to say this, A King's Tale is really good. I made a thread about it, but I don't think anyone noticed. It's a Gamestop pre-order, but it's a great game in its own right. It's a Final Fantasy beat 'em up, and it actually is one of the best beat 'em ups I've played in a while. Good enough that it's kept me from playing more of FF XV beyond that car pushing scene.

I hope they release it for the general populace at some point. I really hate the whole pre order thing.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:24 am

Xeogred wrote:These four heroes of the light / It's just damn fun and simple.

If you want a simple and fun game about four heroes of light...

:P

But on the real, good to hear that you're enjoying it. Hopefully it'll stay good all the way to the credits. The stuff you've said about the plot being simple directly conflicts a lot of reviews I've read for the game, so that's pretty interesting.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:34 am

Watching Kingsglaive and the Brotherhood anime really do help the first parts of the game make more sense. I'm about 12 hours into FFXV and I would have been a bit lost if I had not seen the movie and the anime.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:42 am

Exhuminator wrote:The stuff you've said about the plot being simple directly conflicts a lot of reviews I've read for the game, so that's pretty interesting.

I think he is saying that in contrast to the FFXIII trilogy in particular, which is not a high bar. I mean, you could hand the Kingdom Hearts franchise to Hideo Kojima, and the end result would have a less overwrought and convoluted narrative than those games do as a whole. Well, I didn't finish Lightning Returns, maybe it all makes sense after that...but I doubt it. :lol:
Not that they're necessarily bad games individually (flawed, sure), but as a whole it's just a mess.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:55 am

I'm really surprised it's not on PC. It seems like SE has been pushing the FF series hard on PC in the last couple years. You can get all the mainline games on Steam minus I, II and XII so I had felt like it was a bit of a lead-up to XV coming to Steam as well.

Perhaps it'll be a GTA5 scenario where we'll get some expanded PC port two years from now.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:01 am

It'll come to PC eventually, don't worry.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:58 pm

Yeah, we don't need more publishers rushing PC ports thesedays (I'm seriously not going to let that up on Dishonored 2, biggest disappointment of the entire year). I'm sure it'll come in the future and them only focusing on consoles now let them tax things out. The dynamic lighting is truly fantastic in the game. It's a bit rough in spots, in ways XIII almost looks better... but up close you can definitely see more detail here. Crazy fuzzy hair physics and stuff though.

I'm about 12 hours in and up to chapter 3. Already kind of explored about a third of the map I believe. So as I've been speculating in other posts around the board, this game seems very "doable" to me and not overwhelming like other open world games. The quests are kind of piling up, but it's not bothering me. Something about this game just flows better and it doesn't feel like I've put 12 hours in at all. There's been a few sections that are more scripted and linear, it's handled very well. This one part sneaking into a Behemoth's den straight up felt like Jurassic Park haha.

You can buy cheap tapes/discs of the old FF games music to listen to in the car. I think I might have them all by now. Probably about 10 tracks per game. Then there's music from the Brotherhood anime, then Kingslaive, and then some original radio like tracks. Fun stuff. The in game music is incredible, definitely some of Yoko Shimomura's best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUxSIVLGGPA
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:13 pm

You can also buy a "portable MP3 player" from the car's store. It lets you play the car's music while on foot. I noticed it was available in chapter 3. It could have been there earlier and I missed it.
Return to RPG