Level up here
Kahokian
24-bit

RPG fans translation

by Kahokian Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:55 pm

Any recommendations for Japanese translated RPGs in English. I am not a ROM/EMU guy but I need some more retro RPGs to add to my list to play. I imagine some of the translations could be a bit terrible. So if anyone has played some of the translated ones and can vouch for the quality of the translations it would be greatly appreciated.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: RPG fans translation

by Sarge Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:17 pm

Actually, the quality level of many of them is sky-high. Many are much better than what we got for official ones back in the day.

If you haven't played Seiken Densetsu 3, that's a great action-RPG. I also enjoyed the heck out of Rudra no Hihou. Also, the Mother 3 translation will make you think you're playing an actual official translation, it's so good.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:01 pm

Brah there are tons.

Get a Retron 5. You can import the Japanese carts and apply a translation patch via an SD card. Much cooler than PC emulation.

Most fan translations are pretty solid. You're better off just seeking the best games that happen to have fan translations.

Super Famicom seems to be fan translation central. Off the top of my head I'd recommend Der Langrisser, Star Ocean, Bahamut Lagoon, Final Fantasy V, Seiken Densetsu 3, Tales of Phantasia, Dragon Quest V, Dragon Quest VI, Emerald Dragon, Front Mission, Front Mission: Gun Hazard, Wonder Project J, Treasure Hunter G, Mystic Ark, Neugier: Umi to Kaze no Kodo, Romancing Saga 3, Brandish 2, Alcahest, Live a Live, Rudra no Hihou, and tons more I'm forgetting.............
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:06 pm

I'd skip the translation of Romancing SaGa 3 for now, though, it's pretty rough. Dragon Quest VI is probably better experienced on DS at least for translation, as the NoPrgress patch isn't totally finished (but is playable to the end).

Almost anything that Gideon Zhi of AGTP has worked on is solid stuff, at least as far as hacking is concerned.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:40 pm

Kahokian wrote:Any recommendations for Japanese translated RPGs in English.

Man there are a ton across many platforms. And as Sarge said, most are at least as of high quality as any official translation you'd see. Quite a few are leagues beyond due to being labors of love.

What would help here for recommendations, is for you to mention platforms that you prefer, as well as the genre of RPG you prefer (i.e. SRPG, action-RPG, traditional JRPG, etc.).

As for getting started, Fantasy Anime is a fantastic site to get your thumbs wet:

http://fantasyanime.com/index

That site has an excellent series of tutorials for folks who'd like to get into emulation but aren't sure how to do it:

http://fantasyanime.com/emuhelp/index.htm

For an idea of the sheer amount of English translations available, just have a peek here:

http://www.romhacking.net/?page=transla ... ssearch=Go

You'll see 887 translations that are fully playable (meaning 100% translated into English), and that site doesn't even have all of the available translations.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Kahokian
24-bit

by Kahokian Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:46 pm

you guys rock! I actually just modded a Wii I picked up down here on vacation in Florida. I found some gamecube controllers via craigslist. I am wondering though if possibly the Wii won't play the English translations. I just tried the Mother 3 ROM and it refuses load! I appreciate all the suggestions and recommendations.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:04 pm

ROM compatibility will depend on the emulator being used. Some emulators are universal and play a variety of platforms. Some emulators only play one particular platform that they were designed for. And sometimes ROMs will only work with one certain emulator and maybe not another, even if the non-working emulator is designed for the platform the ROM belongs to. I strongly suggest reading the tutorials I linked you to.

There are some decent Wii emulation tutorials available too:

http://www.howtogeek.com/139638/how-to- ... tendo-wii/

https://lifesperience.blogspot.com/2014 ... n-and.html

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-great-emulators-run-wii/

Emulation is one of mankind's greatest inventions. Have fun!
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:20 pm

Sarge wrote:I'd skip the translation of Romancing SaGa 3 for now, though, it's pretty rough.

Yeah, I played through with the patch and "playable" is the best descriptor for it. All the translated lines were there but the patch really needed an editing pass. The only reason I was able to make it through was thanks to online walkthroughs because of how non-linear the game is and how non-intuitive getting various plot points to trigger is.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:49 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Get a Retron 5. You can import the Japanese carts and apply a translation patch via an SD card. Much cooler than PC emulation.

I second this suggestion whole heartedly.

I haven't played too too many Japan imports on my Retron just yet, but of those I have played and can vouch for, the early Final Fantasy games have good translations as well as Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Ack

by Ack Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:50 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Super Famicom seems to be fan translation central. Off the top of my head I'd recommend Der Langrisser, Star Ocean, Bahamut Lagoon, Final Fantasy V, Seiken Densetsu 3, Tales of Phantasia, Dragon Quest V, Dragon Quest VI, Emerald Dragon, Front Mission, Front Mission: Gun Hazard, Wonder Project J, Treasure Hunter G, Mystic Ark, Neugier: Umi to Kaze no Kodo, Romancing Saga 3, Brandish 2, Alcahest, Live a Live, Rudra no Hihou, and tons more I'm forgetting.............

Chaos Seed, Energy Breaker, Monstania, Torneko no Daiboken: Fushigi no Dungeon, Fushigi no Dungeon 2, Dual Orb II, Lodoss Tou Senki: Record of Lodoss War, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, Lennus II, Gulliver Boy, Magic Knights Rayearth, Slayers, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. The list goes on and on and on...

I also believe there is a translation patch for Albert Odyssey in the works.
Return to RPG