Level up here
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Re: SNES and Super Famicom RPG List

by SNESdrunk Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:14 am

Ack wrote:
SNESdrunk wrote:More annoying questions I need answered about some RPGs...

Is Mystic Ark officially a 7th Saga sequel? I can't seem to find that confirmed anywhere.

I bugged Bonez about this in another thread, but is Ys: Memories of Celceta a remake of Ys IV: Mask of the Sun?

Similarly, is the PS2 version of Ys V: Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand a remake of the SFC game? Has it been translated to English by anyone?

Officially no, I don't believe Mystic Ark is a true sequel to 7th Saga.

No, it actually replaces both Ys IV: Mask of the Sun and Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys, as both of those were developed by other companies for Nihon Falcom. Memories of Celceta is the actual Ys IV.

To my knowledge, yes, Ys V on the PS2 is a remake of the SFC game.

Thanks Ack

That's really weird about Ys IV just being "replaced" entirely... does that mean its events in the storyline were just removed from the story canon?
Ack

by Ack Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:20 am

I guess so, or they're now seen as plot offshoots, like Resident Evil Gaiden.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:22 am

I think Memories of Celceta is somewhat similar to Mask of the Sun, but it replaces them in story canon.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:40 am

SNESdrunk wrote:More annoying questions I need answered about some RPGs...

Is Mystic Ark officially a 7th Saga sequel? I can't seem to find that confirmed anywhere.

I bugged Bonez about this in another thread, but is Ys: Memories of Celceta a remake of Ys IV: Mask of the Sun?

Similarly, is the PS2 version of Ys V: Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand a remake of the SFC game? Has it been translated to English by anyone?

Some of this has been answered but...

Mystic Ark is a "sequel" to The 7th Saga in the same way Illusion of Gaia is a "sequel" to Soul Blazer. Extremely similar play styles, but only some loose and tenuous overlaps in terms of plot, characters, etc. A couple of other things worth noting:
- Mystic Ark was called "The 7th Saga II" by Nintendo Power and other sources when it looked like localization was a possibility.
- There's actually a third game as well - Mystic Ark: Maboroshi Gekijo on the PlayStation.

As far as Ys goes... The staff of Falcom was apparently in a bit of disarray during the early 90s. So the development of Ys IV was farmed off to Tonkin House... And Hudson. Why Falcom was okay with two Ys IV's will always be a bit of mystery. Falcom provided a loose storyline and created the characters, which is why Mask of the Sun and The Dawn of Ys seem superficially similar, but are two completely different games.

Both Mask of the Sun and Kefin have PlayStation 2 remakes. I'm not awake of any translations. As you may know, there was also an "Expert" (hard mode) version of Ys V released on Super Famicom one year after the original.

As for Celceta, that was developed by Falcom and is now known as the "true" canon Ys IV (previously it had been Mask of the Sun). Again, this game has the same characters as the 1993 Ys IV's.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

by SNESdrunk Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:13 pm

Thanks for the info guys

What a mess in the Ys universe, I feel like I need a flowchart
Tomba

by Tomba Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:48 pm

I have been meaning to post a new topic for a query of mine, but after seeing this post, I have to decided to post it under this, if the OP or admins/mods don't mind. And, umm, hope you don't mind the long intro to the query. :P

I LOOOOVE RPGs. But for a long time, I have always avoided RPGs with standard menu based battle systems. I have always preferred (and still do) action RPGs like my personal favs, the Seiken Densetsu series. I have tried the classic 16 bit FF games, but couldn't get into them because of the battle system. But after much consideration, I decided to give the legendary Chrono Trigger a try even though it was not an action RPG, back in 2010/2011, and found out that it, indeed, is one of the best video games ever made... not overrated at all.. it deserves all that hype. After playing it, I realized that menu based battle systems ain't so bad. It's the random encounters that I hate - I'm the kind of guy who likes to explore every "square pixel" of an area, so random encounters can really ruin it for me (There are few exceptions, however. I loved Summon Night - Swordcraft Story (GBA) and its sequel. But they were totally different from FF, they had real-time battles. Still hated the random encounters in them).

So I was wondering if you guys can give me the names of all the SNES (+other 16 bit/32 bit) rpgs without random encounters.
Wanna say something? Just PM, don't mail me, I rarely check my email inbox. :)
Ack

by Ack Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:53 pm

Do you want no random encounters at all, or are hybrid approaches ok, such as games where you can see enemies on the field and run into them(or they run into you) to initiate encounters?

For instance, the Lufia games employ a style where the overworld has random encounters, but dungeons have enemies you can see and must run into to encounter. Or there is 7th Saga, where you have a radar showing enemy locations, though they pretty much hunt you down and force you to fight.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:00 pm

Bravely Default also has an interesting feature where you can set (from the get go) your random encounter rate. It defaults to 100%, and you can drop it down to 0% if you want (so no random encounters) or increase it above 100% (I think it goes up to 200%, but might be higher).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Tomba

by Tomba Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:04 pm

I remember playing a game on GBC (may have been a Lufia game or maybe not, I don't remember) where the enemy takes a step with every step I take. When I run into the guy, the battle initiates. I found that annoying. I loved the way they did it in Chrono Trigger. But I'd like to give the hybrid style a try. Even if there's no way to escape it, it's better to see it coming, right?

@Mr.Popo: So if I drop it down to 0%, are there no battles at all? O.o
Wanna say something? Just PM, don't mail me, I rarely check my email inbox. :)
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:01 pm

Tomba wrote:I remember playing a game on GBC (may have been a Lufia game or maybe not, I don't remember) where the enemy takes a step with every step I take. When I run into the guy, the battle initiates. I found that annoying. I loved the way they did it in Chrono Trigger. But I'd like to give the hybrid style a try. Even if there's no way to escape it, it's better to see it coming, right?

The GBC game was Lufia: The Legend Returns, which is the third game in the Lufia series. That is exactly how the monsters in Lufia II work.

@Mr.Popo: So if I drop it down to 0%, are there no battles at all? O.o

Precisely. Now, the game will punish you if you keep it at 0% all the time because eventually the bosses will be stronger than the party. But it does let you do things like grind up a bit, then run through a dungeon with no encounters to get treasures and explore.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Return to RPG