Level up here
Ack

RPG Progress Report

by Ack Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:01 pm

Ok, so I've been using the "What RPGs Are You Currently Playing" thread to post my progress in games, but that really isn't what that thread is for. And there's always the worry that someone will be offended by spoilers of various RPGs.

So the purpose of this thread is for us to talk about what progress we've made in whatever RPG we are currently playing. Perhaps you want to discuss your level in an MMORPG, how far you've managed to get in a dungeon crawl, talk about your experiences on the final round of bosses in a JRPG, or tell us what achievements you have left to go for in an Action RPG and how you plan on going about getting them...all are fair game.

Also, I'll say this now: there will likely be spoilers in this thread. Sephiroth kills Aeris, the beginning of Lufia is the end of Lufia 2, and Rena is from another planet. The decision to protect others who might want to play from the major plot points is admirable, but it also hampers discussion...so if you don't want anything ruined, you might just want to avoid this thread.

===========================================================

Anyway, onto my progress. I've been playing through Wild Arms 3 for the past month or so and have racked up quite a bit of time. I'm at the final dungeon and have defeated 6 of the 12 Destructions which protect it. I have all the migrant seals, 10 EX keys, and my characters are levels 80-83. My goals for the game can easily be broken down into a few quick bullets:

1. Continue to seek and defeat Arioch. I've done 44/99 battles.
2. Finish the Secret Garden sidequest by breeding all the plants.
3. Buy the EX key in the Black Market.
4. Make it through the Abyss and defeat its end boss.
5. Kill the remaining 6 Destructions and the final boss.

I would also like to reach the max level, but I'm getting to the point where it is difficult to gain the necessary XP. Anyone know what the best place is to level in this game against normal enemies? I'm running low on bosses.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: RPG Progress Report

by Xeogred Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:32 pm

Oh man, this thread is just embarrassing to me. I have this awful curse of having a near impossible time finishing RPG's nowadays and it bugs me a lot not finishing games I get a good chunk into. So much I make sure to leave them on my backlog so I can continually feel depressed about it. What's worst is that RPG's are generally so hard to pickup again after long periods of time, so you just end up wanting to start them over from scratch.

I won't say it's being older or busier, just... something. Harder to please or stay focused on RPG's thesedays, I have no idea what it is. I used to play nothing but JRPG's back to back during my jr. high / high school days, I'd 100% everything without a guide, and went nuts with them.

So I'll just slap down my ugly "unfinished and still bothered by it" list here for now:

- Lost Odyssey, made it to the third disc. Been playing this one for about three years or something now and yeah... still not finished. I loved it though.
- Xenoblade, 60 hours in and pretty dang far I think. Haven't touched it in two months but I swear, I have to finish this. I also never completely finished Xenosaga 1-2, despite loving them as well. Xenosaga was one of those cases where I did this huge mission that took like hours worth but never had time to save... fought a boss, and bam. Died. So that just pisses you off for good and yeah. I want to replay it someday and finish it, same with 2 ... I got to the final dungeon and the curse just hit me like usual. I beat Xenosaga III though, wtf? lol.
- Final Fantasy IV: The After Years, I beat both FFII and FFIV Complete on the PSP and it was amazing, but hard to pull off with my neck issues... gave me major headaches. I was having a problem getting into The After Years, so I might just watch HCBailey's LP of it haha...
- Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals, was totally loving this game. Got 10-20 hours in or something and just stopped. 11 months ago...
- Shining Force, I was pretty much at the end and never finished it during out Together Retro. I really enjoyed it though.
- Skyrim, got 80 hours in and the dialogue just put me in a coma. So I dropped it for now, but I'll pick it back up. I still have like half the map to cover, so it'll be a fresh experience and one I think I can just jump back into with my old save. Would like to finish it...

That sums it up for now. Suikoden V is another on the PS2 I got like 60 hours in and completely loved it, but it was just way too long or I got too busy with other games. Final Fantasy XII is another one I got really far into, but I guess going 10+ hours without any story development sometimes just made it drag, lol. Never finished Disgaea 2 or Odin Sphere either, got too repetitive.

Of the old PSX games I dabbled into and never finished... I can recall those too:
- Star Ocean 2, loved it but yeah no idea.
- Parasite Eve, not bad but got boring or something.
- Lunar II, got to these magical towers.
- Vagrant Story, no idea why as I loved the hell out of this one, but never finished it.
- Breath of Fire III, didn't like it as much as IV, something about it didn't completely hook me in.
- Arc the Lad III, was not feeling this at all though so I don't care. First two games I finished and loved them.

I've never managed to finish a Tales game either despite loving them. Phantasia (SNES), Destiny (PSX), and Symphonia which I enjoyed a ton.

Never finished Fallout 1 or 2. Loved most things about them, but the combat was just way too boring. Wish they were more complex in that department.

I think it says something when I can literally remember just about all RPG's I've not finished. Haha, yeah it seriously bugs me. I think I just have bad management with games thesedays, same with anime/movie/etc watching things, I just keep wanting to jump to other stuff and leave things in the dust.

It blows my mind I beat Tactics Ogre (SNES), one of the hardest JRPG's I've ever played and the longest on the SNES (took 60 hours). THEN, I played four FF's back to back last year. I still can't fathom how I did this, two being really old ones so they were just pure dungeon crawlers (beat FFII-FFV). It's got me wondering though, maybe I'll be able to finish some DQ games though if they're fun dungeon crawlers too.

Such a pointless post, but yeah I need therapy on this! I CAN'T LET GO OF MY PAST GAMING FAILURES! lol

Dark Souls I must finish! I think next up... I might try to get into the Witcher 2 for my RPG fix. No idea though.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:50 pm

I've got a few that are in the pipe and I've decided I'm not going to start any new games until they're done.

Final Fantasy V Advance, I'm right before Fork Tower. My first go through I forgot that unlike VI's Magi Master you DON'T want to berserk Omniscient. Second time my reflect wore off right as I dealt the killing blow and I ate Flare to the face.

Final Fantasy X-2, I'm on the last mission before the end of Chapter 1. I've been following a 100% guide to ensure I hit all the events, and I wasn't sure if my save had hit an event in the last area before starting the mission (turns out I hadn't), so I need to redo from my last save.

Pier Solar, I think I just got through to the lumberjack town, which was after a horrible section of the game that was far too long without a recharge point, coupled with nasty enemies. Sometimes it feels like the game really could have gone through some more balancing on the enemy encounters.

Wild Arms 5, I've left that on the side for a long time, but I know I'm near the end of the game and really should finish it. If I recall right, I was at the section where I need to go to four dungeons and defeat the four lieutenants of the big bad and do something at the dungeons that does something else to foil the big bad's plans. I can't remember if I beat any of the dungeons or if I was just stuck at one of the bosses and felt underleveled. The main thing I remember is Rebecca wears short shorts.

Once that round's up I plan to move on to other RPGs I'm in the middle of, namely Baldur's Gate (the Trilogy compilation that puts everything seamlessly together on the BGII engine), Neverwinter Nights, Tales of Vesperia, Tales of Symphonia Dawn of a New World, and Tales of Innocence. But I might inject Ultima III in the middle to break things up, as all of those games I have a lot of time left on, while I imagine Ultima III will be relatively short (if the first two are any indication).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:47 am

I have been notoriously bad in the past as well finishing an RPG. I usually get really close to the end and stop. Lately, I have made a resolution to finish each RPG I start unless I hate it.

- Tactics Ogre PSP - Doing a bunch of sidequests in Ch IV, hitting up the 4 castles
- Ys II - Just left the molten town
- Shining Force 3 Sc 1 - Currently playing this one. I am very near the end and making progress. Will move to the next scenarios when done.
- FFXII - I was near the end, but forgot exactly where I was.
- FFXIII - Made it to the open world section of the game and PS3 crapped out and lost my save. Probably not going to come back to this one...
- Ogre Battle 64 - A few battles from the end, this is high on my list to play and finish, and I will just replay it from the beginning at this point.
- Neverwinter Nights - Only about 10 hours time. Played back in college with a shitty PC and it would crash all the time.
- Neverwinter Nights 2 - Made it to the first big city. Will get back to these once I play the BGEE and get back into the D&D PC mode.
- Record of Agarest War - Enjoyed this one despite the mixed reviews. Only about 5 or 6 hours in though
- Fallout 3 - Just started fighting the Super Mutants, maybe near the White House? HDD died on me and I lost my save file a few years ago, will restart.
- Dragon Age Origins - Was in the Dwarf area, same loss of save that affected Fallout 3

Now, here is my upcoming RPG plan of games to play, not necessarily in order:
- Shining Force 3 Scenarios 2,3
- Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition
- Tactics Ogre PSP
- Ogre Battle 64
- Growlanser Generations --> Wayfarer
- YS II

Games I am ashamed to say I need to play if I want to call myself a fan of RPGs, or other RPGs I have that I really want to play...
- Lunar 1 & 2
- Lufia 1 & 2
- Suikoden 4 & 5
- Gungnir
- Xenoblade
- Skies of Arcadia
- Radiant Historia
- PS2 and current gen Tales games
- Persona Series
- DS remakes of Dragon Quests
- Panzer Dragoon Saga
- Golden Sun series
- Arc the Lad Collection
Zing
Next-Gen

by Zing Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:03 am

I try to only play one RPG at a time. I technically still have Final Fantasy VII in progress, but I haven't played it in about a year and don't plan to anytime soon. I am also 10 hours into Xenoblade from a few days after its release, but I have no desire to continue.

Right now, I am playing Legend of Dragoon and making good progress. It's been a month now, and I have 30 hours put into it. I'm on disc three, probably somewhere near the end of the disc. The story has been engrossing the entire time. It's precisely my type of game. I've been updating a thread with my observations and progress over on playstationcollecting.

Next in line will likely be Tales of Destiny. I am also very tempted by Chrono Cross and Secret of Mana.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:04 am

I'm about 85 hours into Dragon Warrior VII and I think I'm pretty close to the end (but maybe not) - I'm about to go visit the Demon Lord on his island-tower-place. But first I'm spending a good amount of time grinding my way towards better classes for my party.

I really don't like that you can only have 4 of the 5 characters in my party and there's no wagon like in DQ IV-VI. That wagon would let the characters who aren't in your party be swapped out from anywhere on the world map *and* let them gain XP even if they aren't being used. Now Maribel is all atrophied, but I like her as a character...
WallCrusher
32-bit

by WallCrusher Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:20 pm

Oh God, a progress report? Do you seriously want to see mine? :lol:

Okay, then.

- Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time (PSP): Just made it back to the harbor town after getting thrown into some prison place to get experimented on. I'm about 10 hours or so in, and I just encountered a new mission to tackle but I gave up halfway through mainly because my battery was dying and I was getting tired.

- Persona 3 Portable (PSP): Currently at the end of November, just finished the events in Kyoto and Chidori sacrificed herself for Junpei (deep moment). I also finally completed the Online Student social link.

- Metal Walker (GBC): Progress has been slow in this game. I gained the ability to traverse across the water and now I am exploring areas in search of... stuff.

- Valkyria Chronicles (PS3): Last I played I had just finished Chapter 9. I forget if I did any of the stuff at the camp (like upgrading weapons and armor), but I plan on diving back into it hopefully sooner rather than later.

- Tales of the Abyss (3DS) - Already beat this on PS2, so I've been taking my sweet time on 3DS. It's mostly a "when I feel like it" sort of deal. Currently I just got past the events in Akzeriuth and now I've taken control of Asch.

- Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (PSP): Close to the beginning, the dad just left for business.

- Xenoblade (Wii): Haven't really played this one since I first got it. I just made it to the forest place and was in the middle of exploring it when I put it down. Need to get back around to it.

- Final Fantasy XII (PS2): Hah, this is one I really haven't played in a while. I remember I was pretty much at the very end of the game, so I just need to polish it off (assuming I don't get sucked into any sidequests).

- Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator (PC): Was on Shell 1, looking for the Emperor, when my harddrive failed. Now I've lost all of my progress, so I need to get back to it eventually.

- Wild Arms 5 (PS2): I had just gotten Chuck in my party when I put it down. I'm thinking I might restart the game when I get back around to playing it.

- Pokémon FireRed (GBA): I was doing a Nuzlocke challenge on this, and I had completed the events at Pokémon Tower. I was debating on what route I should take to Fuschia.

- Pokémon SoulSilver (DS): Beaten, but I still haven't fought Red or done a bunch of the stuff in the post game. No clue when I will get around to doing it.

- Pokémon White (DS): Also beaten, but I want to do more of the post game. I was getting put off on training new Pokes because my team was lacking in certain areas.

- Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation (DS): Technically I beat this game, but I still haven't done the bonus dungeon and faced the boss at the end of it.

- Dragon Age: Origins (PS3): I restarted the game and made some headway. I was helping the elves with their problem but then I went off to tackle some DLC or some such.

- The Legend of Dragoon (PS1): I was near the end of the second disc (I like to think), but whenever I beat this boss my game would freeze after the screen that shows your earnings at the end of the fight. It's a shame because I really like this game.

- Record of Agarest War Zero (PS3): I did not get too far in this; I believe I was only up to collecting the second material for whatever it was that I was doing.

- Star Ocean: Till The End of Time (PS2): Yeah I restarted this and was going to see the queen for the first time and stopped playing.

- Radiata Stories (PS2): Restarted a while back. I was still at the point shortly before the path splits.

- Suikoden III (PS2): Again, restarted. I was stuck on this stupid ice dragon boss and could never get past him. Let's hope when I tackle the boss again something happens to change this.

STILL NEED TO START:

- Tales of Graces f (PS3): It's been sitting on my shelf, still wrapped in plastic. No clue why I haven't touched it yet, perhaps Abyss has just been distracting me (horrible excuse).

- Fallout 2 (PC): Bought this along with the first Fallout the end of last year on GOG.com when it was on sale for like 2 bucks each. Took me a while to get around to play and beat the first Fallout, so I expect it'll be the same deal here.

...So yeah, I think that's all of it. Maybe.
Last edited by WallCrusher on Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WANNA GET YOUR WALLS CRUSHED?
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:23 pm

I honestly don't remember the last time I finished an RPG, though I have started many.

I guess I've completed a few small indie titles like Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden, but the last time I finished any big AAA rpgs was probably in the time of the first Playstation.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:15 pm

Xeogred wrote:Oh man, this thread is just embarrassing to me. I have this awful curse of having a near impossible time finishing RPG's nowadays and it bugs me a lot not finishing games I get a good chunk into. So much I make sure to leave them on my backlog so I can continually feel depressed about it. What's worst is that RPG's are generally so hard to pickup again after long periods of time, so you just end up wanting to start them over from scratch.

I've always had this incurable disease since childhood. It's probably the reason I never became a huge fan of the genre. Curse my attention span.

Someone ought to do a psychological study on this because I know a lot of people who have the same problem with RPGs.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

by TEKTORO Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:37 pm

I'm gonna continue playing Luciennes Quest this weekend, Im about 6.5 hrs in and have to rescue miminaga who has a crush on me. :oops:

Does anyone else own or has played this game?
Im pretty sure Im way behind for 6.5 hours.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
Return to RPG