Level up here
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Re: Rank the first 10 Final Fantasy games

by ZeroAX Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:52 am

AppleQueso wrote:are you implying that western game companies are any more competent at storytelling? :lol:

Perhaps not, but they are pretty good at it when their game's strongest part is the story (see Deus Ex and Star Wars KotoR (Lucas I forgive your personal stupidity and mediocre movie franchise, only cause it gave birth to this gem)
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:45 am

ZeroAX wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:are you implying that western game companies are any more competent at storytelling? :lol:

Perhaps not, but they are pretty good at it when their game's strongest part is the story (see Deus Ex and Star Wars KotoR (Lucas I forgive your personal stupidity and mediocre movie franchise, only cause it gave birth to this gem)

God prequels look what you did, dragged two and a half excellent films through the mud.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:58 am

AppleQueso wrote:God prequels look what you did, dragged two and a half excellent films through the mud.

To be honest other than the Empire Strikes Back, and an excellent sound track, I still think the Star Wars movies aren't anything to boast about. The story is stolen (Lucas said so himself that he took parts from many sources and put them together), and the constant CGI edits cheapen it.

I still believe the struggle between the Light and the Dark is a wonderful idea, which was portrayed wonderfully in the Empire Strikes Back, but the conclusion in Return of the Jedi was quite underwhelming. You can not choose the Light and not lose something, cause being good always comes with sacrifice, otherwise what's the point of the Dark?
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:27 am

ZeroAX wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:God prequels look what you did, dragged two and a half excellent films through the mud.

To be honest other than the Empire Strikes Back, and an excellent sound track, I still think the Star Wars movies aren't anything to boast about. The story is stolen (Lucas said so himself that he took parts from many sources and put them together), and the constant CGI edits cheapen it.

I still believe the struggle between the Light and the Dark is a wonderful idea, which was portrayed wonderfully in the Empire Strikes Back, but the conclusion in Return of the Jedi was quite underwhelming. You can not choose the Light and not lose something, cause being good always comes with sacrifice, otherwise what's the point of the Dark?

When I say "two and a half", it's probably pretty obvious which two I mean I think. (the original film and ESB, with ESB being the better of the two obviously). ROTJ was underwhelming, for a variety of reasons. Gary Kurtz actually parted ways with Lucas because he didn't agree with the direction that Lucas wanted ROTJ's story to go in. Kurtz wanted stuff like Han Solo making a heroic sacrifice for example.

As for the story being "stolen", I don't know, it's true that it's just a bunch of archetypes from mythology and whatnot, based mostly on the monomyth idea, and he was always pretty honest about it (until recently at least), so I don't know if it's accurate to say it was stolen.

And as for the CGI edits, the dumbest thing about that is that they not only added CG that doesn't fit very well, they didn't even fix most of the errors in the actual original effects shots, and of the few they did fix, they didn't even fix them right (see the SE of the first film, where luke's lightsaber is green for an entire scene when it's blue everywhere else in the film.)
GazongaJoe
24-bit

by GazongaJoe Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:40 am

X
Even the horses are cut in half......
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:09 pm

Well, since it's bumped already, probably something like this.

IV
V
VI
III
IX
I
VII
II
VIII
Last edited by o.pwuaioc on Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:10 pm

o.pwuaioc wrote:Well, since it's bumped already, probably something like this.

IV
V
VI
III
IX
I
VII
II
VII

You hate VII so much you listed it twice :lol:
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:12 pm

AppleQueso wrote:
o.pwuaioc wrote:Well, since it's bumped already, probably something like this.

IV
V
VI
III
IX
I
VII
II
VII

You hate VII so much you listed it twice :lol:

Oops, fixed. :oops:

Really, they can be divided into two categories.

Good: I, III, IV, V, VI, IX
Not so good: II, VII, VIII
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:15 pm

1.VII(the one I started with :P)
2,VIII
3.III
4.X
5.IX

Haven't gotten to sink enough hours in to really have an opinion on these. Need to do a play through of the whole series sometime :P. Have all the PS1 ports as well as a few on PSP/DS.
6.IV
7.I
8.II
9.V
10. VI
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:20 pm

Eh, why not.

VII
X
VI
IX
XIII
V
IV
VIII
XII
I
II

I figure there is no reason to exclude XII/XIII if X is included. If we were just doing traditional FF games, I would cut it off at IX personally.

I have not played III.

Out of that entire list, I have cleared and thoroughly enjoyed each entry... except II. I thought that game was miserable. I'm sure I'll try to tackle it again at some point.

I have a hard time choosing between VI and X, as I find them both to be excellent... in fact, I would say they are both technically better than VII.
Return to RPG