What RPG are you playing right now?

Level up here
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

marurun wrote:I've been playing Dragon Quest 8 for a while now, but I hit a slow patch. The game has a pretty gradual progression and grinding is mostly fun. Still annoyed by the Tension/Psyche Up mechanic, but otherwise the game is pretty enjoyable. As I mentioned, however, I did hit a slow patch. The game definitely is paced a little on the slow side. Fortunately, it doesn't drag the way I feel FF games can sometimes drag, but with the distraction of Smash Ultimate's Adventure mode, I'm going to have to come back to this game after a short break. I will also note that while I've seen graphics comparisons online showing how much better the PS2 version looks, I actually don't care that the 3DS version is a visual downgrade. It's still an attractive enough game even if it isn't the best looking version. The voice acting is mostly pretty good so far, and the music, while definitely generated soundfont, is decent. It's weird how good some instrument samples are and how poor others are. Very weird.

I get that this is just how the DQ games *are* in Japan, but it's still so wild to me, with how iconic the DQ8 voice acting is in English, that that game had no VA at all in Japanese until the 3DS port :O
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
marurun

Post by marurun »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:I get that this is just how the DQ games *are* in Japan, but it's still so wild to me, with how iconic the DQ8 voice acting is in English, that that game had no VA at all in Japanese until the 3DS port :O

It does seem like a really odd addition for the 3DS, but perhaps it was seen as throwing a bone to the fans over the reduced graphical fidelity and not improving the music quality.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Crystar and Crisis Core. meh
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Hey marurun, how far are you in DQ8? I just got the boat and hit a wall. The enemies are horrific on the Western continent. Did this happen to you?
marurun

Post by marurun »

I got distracted by Smash Ultimate. I plan to return to DQ8 next week. I’m about to get the boat, so I’m not quite where you are.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Boy, lots of options right now for genre fans. Crisis Core and Valkyrie Profile just got re-releases for modern consoles (with Tactics Ogres being re-released not too long ago), and I see excellent reviews for Chained Echoes, which seems to be inspired by 16-bit RPGs.

I could complain about some changes to Tifa in Crisis Core due to Square Enix's "Ethics Department" (much like how they tampered with her in FF7 Remake), but the game seems to be a great remaster in spite of that.
marurun

Post by marurun »

So I edited out my initial response. I decided I need to have a more open mind about this. What is so problematic about shrinking Tifa’s chest a bit? I’d really like to know. Her overall appearance is still quite similar and assuming they don’t alter her personality dramatically, I’m curious to know why some corners of the fandom are so worked up about this.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Just finished Grandia 2 on the DC and started Lufia on the SNES.
I normally love grinding to power level, but the exp gain in Lufia is painfully slow.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Ack

Post by Ack »

SpaceBooger wrote:Just finished Grandia 2 on the DC and started Lufia on the SNES.
I normally love grinding to power level, but the exp gain in Lufia is painfully slow.

The original Lufia or the second?
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Ack wrote:The original Lufia or the second?

The original.
I just finished the North Tower and level 4 of the Old Cave at level 15. I spend a couple of hours grinding from level 11 to 15 in both the North Tower and Level 3 of the Old Cave. I am now on my way to the home of the Elves.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.