"Essential Plays" for the Sega Genesis / Megadrive

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: "Essential Plays" for the Sega Genesis / Megadrive

Post by racketboy »

Cool -- I might boot up the original soon actually -- I realize I have it on my 6-Pak cartridge
thanks for the feedback!
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

The arcade style games hooked me to the Genesis during the console wars. Sonic, Shinobi, Golden Axe, etc was my gateway to Shining Force and then Lunar On the Sega CD. It was Genesis RPGs that brought me to that genera.
I know it's SCD, but Lunar is a great essential and perfect entry level RPG that it should be considered.
Now the conundrum is whether or not Phantasy Star IV should be on the list.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Honestly, I don’t think the original Golden Axe holds up very well for anyone who doesn’t already have nostalgia for it. I do think Golden Axe II manages to cross that line into “holds up” territory a bit better.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

marurun wrote:Honestly, I don’t think the original Golden Axe holds up very well for anyone who doesn’t already have nostalgia for it. I do think Golden Axe II manages to cross that line into “holds up” territory a bit better.

Golden Axe PCB manages to hold up if you have a few drinks and playing at a barcade.

But otherwise, I agree. I think Golden Axe II sufficiently covers all the nostalgia I have for the series, and I never feel the desire to return to the first one. I stand by my earlier idea that the sequel invalidates the original. Some people swear by it, so very once in a while I kind of want to replay it to see if my rose-tinted glasses have returned, but ever since selling it, I can't be bothered to track it down again. GAII is enough for me.

I only ever dabbled in GAIII. I don't remember why, but it never stuck with me. That said, I believe there's a strong consensus that it's not an essential play like GAII is.

SpaceBooger wrote:The arcade style games hooked me to the Genesis during the console wars. Sonic, Shinobi, Golden Axe, etc was my gateway to Shining Force and then Lunar On the Sega CD. It was Genesis RPGs that brought me to that genera.
I know it's SCD, but Lunar is a great essential and perfect entry level RPG that it should be considered.
Now the conundrum is whether or not Phantasy Star IV should be on the list.

Of all the Phantasy Stars, only IV should be on that list, but I didn't grow up with the series (sorry, Final Fantasy since II!), and I'm not that big of an RPG fan anyway, so my opinion shouldn't count for much on this.

Maybe make a separate RPG section?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

See, I disagree on the Golden Axe front - I think the first game holds up better than the second. It has more interesting level design, better pacing and the gameplay is basically the same but somehow your hits feel like they have more impact in the original. The second game is OK, but I see no reason to play it over the first. I'd rather play Golden Axe 3 in fact - that game is pretty bad but at least it feels notably different.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

alienjesus wrote:See, I disagree on the Golden Axe front - I think the first game holds up better than the second. It has more interesting level design, better pacing and the gameplay is basically the same but somehow your hits feel like they have more impact in the original. The second game is OK, but I see no reason to play it over the first. I'd rather play Golden Axe 3 in fact - that game is pretty bad but at least it feels notably different.

+1

The series goes downhill after 1. Although GA3 let's you play as a cat man!
marurun

Post by marurun »

Ziggy587 wrote:Only Sonic 2 ?

While I feel like Sonic 2 beats the pants off the original game, I still feel like the first game is very much worth playing. It's like leaving the first Super Mario Bros off the NES Essential Plays list.

Sonic 2 was my favorite for a long while, but I think 3&Knuckles took over first place for me. Sonic 2 cranked everything up to 10, but Sonic 3 went to 11. But really, I feel like the entire Sonic trilogy (& Knuckles) are essential plays for the Genesis. If you like any one of them, you will naturally like the rest.

I guess my view on this is that Sonic 2 is probably the best entry point to the titles on Genesis, and someone who gets comfortable playing 2 might find the original a little basic in places. Sonic 1 is definitely still playable today, but I don't know it bring anything to the table that 2 doesn't. It's fine as a "You want more Sonic? Here you go!", but as an essential game, I'm not sure I care as much for Sonic 1. I definitely think of 1 as more a Defining Game than an Essential Play. As part of the Essential Play list it might be nice to list other titles which also still hold up pretty well today but maybe aren't quite as essential. That's where I'd put Sonic 1.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

marurun wrote:I definitely think of 1 as more a Defining Game than an Essential Play.

I can see that. But I would definitely consider 3&K essential in addition to 2.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

racketboy wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote: But really, I feel like the entire Sonic trilogy (& Knuckles) are essential plays for the Genesis. If you like any one of them, you will naturally like the rest.

As funny as it kinda sounds, I could see Sonic 1 being kinda "eh" for some people.

I actually agree with this and, to be honest, Sonic 1 has always been kinda "meh" for me, even as a kid. Obviously, I loved it when it came out, but as soon as I played Sonic 2 I never really felt any need to go back to the first game. Both the sequel and Sonic 3 & Knuckles blew it away. Whilst we're on the topic, why doesn't Emerald Hill Zone never gets the love Green Hill Zone gets?

Regarding essential games, has anyone mentioned Herzog Zwei? It's an absolutely ingenious real time strategy game and is incredibly addictive. It's probably in my top 5 games for the system.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Happy to see Phantasy Star IV already referenced. It's amazing & criminal to not mention it up there with the RPG likes of FFVI.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5