SEGA Nomad

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
SpaceBooger

SEGA Nomad

Post by SpaceBooger »

So, I bit the bullet and bought a LCD screen and stuff to mod my Nomad for $35 at Console5. I will post pics and info. This video features the LCD I bought and was the motivation for me modding the console, but will not do the 5v mod in case I want to upgrade to the LaserBear battery pack.

Speaking about batteries, everyone knows this console is a 1.5v AA battery drainer. I wanted to use rechargeable batteries but none of my 1.2v EBL, Amazon, or POWEROWL worked. I did try Enveloop Pros and they worked even though they are 1.2v. I played around with it and noticed that as long as I have an Envelop Pro in the first slot (top) of the battery pack I could put 5 of the other lesser rechargeable, including the Amazon Basic ones, the system works. I tried putting the Envelop Pro in each of the other six spots, but it only works in the first slot. Does anyone have any idea why I need that one better battery in that one particular spot?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Re: SEGA Nomad

Post by Limewater »

Current.

This is an educated guess, so I could be wrong.

The Nomad draws a ton of current. That is why it is notorious for draining batteries.
By using 1.2V batteries instead of 1.5V batteries, you are actually causing the Nomad to draw even more current than normal.
Batteries have a maximum amount of current they can provide.
Eneloops are known for being able to provide more current than the typical rechargeable battery.
If the Eneloop is in the first position of your battery pack, it is able to provide the needed current.
If the Eneloop is in a lower position in your battery pack, the current it can provide is throttled by batteries further up the stack.

Does the official Nomad battery pack clip to the back of the Nomad or something?
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Limewater wrote:Current.

Does the official Nomad battery pack clip to the back of the Nomad or something?

That makes sense. And yes it does clip. I'm glad I still have mine after seeing this on eBay (didn't look for others too see if this is overpriced, just was looking for pictures) https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Sega-Nomad ... 632-2357-0
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

If you wanted to get crafty you could take one of these:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/875

Fit some sort of belt clip or lanyard or something it it, and cut off the DC jack. I believe you would want to replace it with one that is 1.7mm and CENTER NEGATIVE (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!! And double-check me on this if you actually try this.). You would probably also want to make sure to lengthen the power cable in attaching the jack.

This would give you 9.6V from 8 1.2V batteries. This would be a bit better all around than trying to run off of 7.2V. It woudl decrease your current draw by almost 25% in comparison, and be a bit easier on your voltage regulator.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii