Finally got a Master System

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
SpaceBooger

Re: Finally got a Master System

Post by SpaceBooger »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:This system lives and dies by Phantasy Star.

Get Phantasy Star.

One day... one day... That and Master of Darkness are on my list if I can come across them at an affordable price.

Everyone else thanks for the lists. Keep the recommendations coming.

Right now I have my sights set on:
Golvellius
Rambo 3 (need a light gun shooter since its crazy hard to play the built-in Missle Defense 3d without the glasses)
One of the Sonic games
and One of the Disney Games
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

These are my personal favorites:

Castle of Illusion - Exceptional platformer that’s even better than its 16-not counterpart

Double Dragon - The controls aren’t as tight as the NES version, but it features 2P co-op and ditches the horrible platforming

Fantasy Zone - Really awesome, accessible port that I actually like better than the arcade original

Ninja Gaiden - At least as good as the NES games

Phantasy Star - Arguably the best 8-bit RPG on any console

R-Type - Unbelievably awesome port of the best shmup

Wonder Boy - Really fun, classic platformer that blows the NES port (a/k/a Adventure Island) out of the water

Wonder Boy III: The Dragon’s Trap - Outstanding early metroidvania game that really holds up
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Appreciate all the info in this thread! I'm interested in getting into Master System as well, especially to play Phantasy Star, but I'd also like to play Alien Syndrome, Choplifter, Wonder Boy III: Dragon's Trap, Land of Illusion, Miracle Warrirors, Power Strike, R-Type, and Master of Darkness.

I noticed Ziggy mentioned a compatibility issue for Alien Syndrome with the Power Base adapter and Genesis controller. Are there a lot of games that fall into this category? Just curious, as I debate between trying to get a console or a Power Base Mini adapter for my Genesis Model 2.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

The SMS is a great system! It might not have the ultimate library of classics the NES has, but it has its unique charm and some great arcade ports. In fact that's one of the big differences between SMS and NES games: a lot of SMS titles are WAY TOO HARD for any normal person to beat. NES games more often have the courtesy to give you infinite continues or passwords, those are less common features on the SMS. IMO this makes these games better for "sit down and play casually" type games but if you like BEATING games and seeing endings for everything, you'll definitely have a hard time!

Here are my top recommendations:
Bubble Bobble - my favorite port of the arcade classic
Choplifter - a really intense, arcade-based version the classic PC game, I'm glad to see it on so many lists
Fantasy Zone - blisteringly hard, but very fun shmup that's really a unique game that defines the SMS
Ghostbusters - a lot of folks pass over this game since it's structurally similar to the much-hated NES version, but it's a pretty fun game! Not a must-own, but definitely fun (and beatable!)
The Ninja - a very hard but very fun overhead shooter
Shinobi - the side-scrolling arcade classic, much improved with the introduction of a life bar
Space Harrier - this one might be a bit controversial, but if you like Afterburner, give it a try!
Time Soldiers - a two-player overhead shooter; this one's best with a friend
Ultima IV - IMO the best way to play this classic of 1980s Western RPGs; it's hard to get into but an absolute gem of a game
Wonder Boy - this is actually the only Wonder Boy game I've played; it's way too hard for me to beat, but if you like fast paced arcade-y platforming action, it's solid!
Ys: The Vanished Omens - You can skip this if you have the Turbografx version, but if you've never played Ys, it's a really good overhead action RPG
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Note wrote:I noticed Ziggy mentioned a compatibility issue for Alien Syndrome with the Power Base adapter and Genesis controller. Are there a lot of games that fall into this category? Just curious, as I debate between trying to get a console or a Power Base Mini adapter for my Genesis Model 2.

There's just a handful that don't work with Genesis controllers. But Master System controllers work on the Genesis, so if you want a Power Base, just also grab a Master System controller (or two).

Another work around, someone was nice enough to patch the games. But this only works if you're using a flash cart. https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topi ... 8#msg12118

Personally, I'm using a Mega Everdrive Pro to play SMS on my Genesis.

There are some other SMS games that are not compatible on the Genesis due to other reasons than the controller. I don't have any sources handy to link, but I remember hearing of at least one game that uses an incompatible graphics mode.
IrishNinja
64-bit

Post by IrishNinja »

congrats! grew up with this thing, wish it wasn't so pricey these days - consider an everdrive, you get SG-1000 gameplay with it too.

echoing others there, but personal favorites:

Shinobi
Phantasy Star
Golvellius
Rastan
Rampage
Gangster Town
Ys: Vanised Omen
Master of Darkness
Golden Axe Warrior (really good zelda clone)
Alex Kidd in Shinobi World
Zillion