Entry Level Genesis Games for a Sega Noob

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Re: Entry Level Genesis Games for a Sega Noob

Post by Nemoide »

I just want to share a tidbit about the Pseudo Saturn: *yes* you could put it on an Action Replay yourself BUT I'd recommend buying one off ebay instead.
Specifically they make one that works as a RAM cart with a switch between 1MB and 4MB modes. While games designed for the 1MB cart will work with the "all-in-one" 4MB cart feature of an Action Replay, it's been discovered that it actually causes slowdown and the dedicated 1MB cart brings improved performance. Being able to physically switch between modes is helpful for getting games out of titles like Marvel Super Heroes, Waku Waku 7, or Metal Slug to run their best. Then you can switch to 4MB mode if you're playing Vampire Savior or X-Men vs Street Fighter.

That little built-in RAM switch is a good feature and the cart will run you less than an Action Replay on ebay!
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Thanks Nemoide. The Saturn came in a while ago, and I should get the Pseudo Saturn cartridge some time next week.

I'm curious about something. I looked up the classified section of my city a website called kijiji, and I saw a Saturn with a Phoebe SD card system for a whopping $1200 CAD. It sounded so ridiculous to me that I almost posted it in that wtf auctions thread. I wanted to see how it is in ebay, and it turns out another one with the Phoebe system is $925 CAD.

Just wondering why this mod would cost so much when the cartridge to mod it is only a fraction of that price. I mean hell the console with that cartridge comes down to a bit less than a 3rd of the price...
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Probably because they aren't mass produced and optical drive vs physical media.
marurun

Post by marurun »

The Phoebe SD card system has a lot more going on inside in terms of hardware, and is a lot more disruptive to install in the unit.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

I knew that it was a hardware mod and a markup is obviously warranted with that. But still, $1000 CAD for a console that maybe costs around $200 CAD usually? That just seems so far-fetched to me.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Yeah I'm not spending anywhere close to that. At that point I might as well emulate. I'm not interested in just having a
collection with iso's. What would be the point?
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

opa wrote:Honestly, other than collectibility, buying games when you have a flash cart is a waste of money. The data functions exactly the same.

Honestly, I understand the sentiment, but I don't agree with it. I just feel better when I actually have a legit copy of a game, even if I'm going to play on a flash cart. Of course, this has its limits - if I can get a game at a reasonable price, I'll do it, but I'm not running out to buy a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga or Little Samson.

Really, this is more of a finances question than anything. If you have the money to comfortably buy legit games, and it makes you happy, do it. But I also don't advocate putting off playing classics, either. Life is too short, and you may not even like the game at all. Especially if it comes to Saturn games; getting a modded system is the best thing I ever did with that console. And I don't feel bad at all "pirating" games that are no longer distributed. If Sega decides to port Panzer Dragon Saga somewhere, I'll buy it, but until then, my burned discs will have to do.

I will also note that with the Saturn, there's also a new ODE on the market, the Fenrir. It only works for Model 1 systems (so far), but it's cheaper and apparently already more functional than Rhea/Phoebe. And on top of that, RetroRGB recently took a look at the Saturn Satiator, which is a mod-free solution that will eventually come out.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

^pretty much my philosophy as well
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

My philosophy as well.

I do see my hipster stuff for films and listening to music too, and like some vintage games there are cases where it's either literally impossible to get them legally, or the only option is to get them used on sites like ebay. There's no way to support the developers or even the distributors of it, so no one really benefits from it except someone that has nothing to do with it. Of course if a site like GOG has a game, then I get it.

With the saturn games being more on the expensive side, I plan on using the pseudo saturn cartridge to see if the games are worth saving up for or not. Of course, stuff like Panzer Dragon Saga will never be in my possession, so piracy is the best bet.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Just for the record...PDS is the one rate, expensive game that is 100% worth it’s asking price. It is so, so good.