Entry Level Genesis Games for a Sega Noob

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Re: Entry Level Genesis Games for a Sega Noob

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Ziggy587 wrote:So I know collectors like to... collect, and therefor aren't usually keen on flash carts. But I have to recommend getting a flash cart! You can enjoy the games NOW, and find out which ones you really want to buy and which ones you can pass on. This is especially useful for the pricier carts. The entry level Mega Everdrive X3 is $54 and fulfilled by Amazon. It can play damn near every Genesis game, as well as Sega Master System games (it works like a Power Base Converter). It can also play 32X games if you have the 32X system.

https://krikzz.com/store/home/45-mega-everdrive-x3.html

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079X463L3

Somehow I didn't know about this! What I do with music and movies is download them first, and then buy them when I think they're worth the money. This actually might be a good method for doing that with games.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

PretentiousHipster wrote:The classified website I use has a sega saturn with a few games for sale for $220 CAD.

This potentially isn't a 'can't miss' deal, depending on what the games are. I would probably recommend passing on it, really (that is if it doesn't include Panzer Dragoon Saga, Magic Knight Rayearth, Dragon Force, or Shining Force III, or something). Without much exposure to Sega games, the Saturn is sort of a tough sell. The US library is not nearly as deep as the Genesis, and if you wanted to get into imports at all, you'd really be looking primarily at arcade and pc conversions. In particular, if you're not really into arcade shooters/beaters/fighters (maybe puzzle games), then there's not a whole lot to recommend. For someone who happens to know Japanese, it would be a completely different story, since that opens up an almost endless ocean of RPGs, strategy games, VNs, and adventure games, but the Saturn in general is a console that has more of a targeted appeal.

Definitely, if you're not opposed to roms, grab a flash cart. I have a fair number of Genesis/Mega Drive games, but I still keep a Mega Everdrive on hand, for everything else.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

>talks about saving money
>Sega Saturn

Honestly, other than collectibility, buying games when you have a flash cart is a waste of money. The data functions exactly the same.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

pierrot wrote:
PretentiousHipster wrote:The classified website I use has a sega saturn with a few games for sale for $220 CAD.

This potentially isn't a 'can't miss' deal, depending on what the games are. I would probably recommend passing on it, really (that is if it doesn't include Panzer Dragoon Saga, Magic Knight Rayearth, Dragon Force, or Shining Force III, or something). Without much exposure to Sega games, the Saturn is sort of a tough sell. The US library is not nearly as deep as the Genesis, and if you wanted to get into imports at all, you'd really be looking primarily at arcade and pc conversions. In particular, if you're not really into arcade shooters/beaters/fighters (maybe puzzle games), then there's not a whole lot to recommend. For someone who happens to know Japanese, it would be a completely different story, since that opens up an almost endless ocean of RPGs, strategy games, VNs, and adventure games, but the Saturn in general is a console that has more of a targeted appeal.

Definitely, if you're not opposed to roms, grab a flash cart. I have a fair number of Genesis/Mega Drive games, but I still keep a Mega Everdrive on hand, for everything else.

I'll think about the Sega Saturn. I would be against it if it wasn't for the cartridge that will let it play burnt discs. That way I can experience even the rare games and can at least try out the cheaper ones before deciding on whether or not to purchase them. Plus this way I can play the fan translations on the console. Stuff like the Panzer sequels, Policenaughts fan translation, the various racing games, Decathlete, Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo, and NIGHTS into Dreams already makes it look like it's worth the money.

Admittedly I'm not big on the genres that it's known for, but this was back when I used to be a teen. Fighting games only seem fun in a multiplayer setting, and all my friends are the artsy hipsters that look down on games. I honestly never played a Shmup. I feel like these genres might be like how I was with music. When I first started exploring it, stuff like My Bloody Valentine was too experimental. Now if anything they are too normal for me :lol:

Either way I will buy the genesis flash cart, either sometime next week if I don't get the Sega Saturn, or some time in March if I do get the console. This way I can slowly purchase the games while saving up for my other things at the same time.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

opa wrote:>talks about saving money
>Sega Saturn

I know right :lol:

I know it shouldn't be an excuse, but from getting a job and recently getting an amazing tattoo, a bipolar high might have started. I did get like 7 hours sleep in 2 days but still feel fully rested, so that's probably the case.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

PretentiousHipster wrote:I'll think about the Sega Saturn. I would be against it if it wasn't for the cartridge that will let it play burnt discs. That way I can experience even the rare games and can at least try out the cheaper ones before deciding on whether or not to purchase them. Plus this way I can play the fan translations on the console. Stuff like the Panzer sequels, Policenaughts fan translation, the various racing games, Decathlete, Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo, and NIGHTS into Dreams already makes it look like it's worth the money.

Well, if you're really compelled to get one, then I guess go for it. I personally love the console, and have more games for it than any other. Here's the thing, though, unless things have changes drastically, that cartridge isn't super special. I never bothered with it, because I installed a modchip in my US Saturn so long ago, but any Action Replay can be flashed to boot backup discs: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=47890&hilit=saturn+boot+cartridge. (I can't even believe this was from 2014--.) There's probably some better, more recent info on it somewhere on the forums, I'm just not totally sure where.

What are the games with it, by the way? I'm not necessarily trying to discourage you from getting into the Saturn if it's calling to you, but it's potentially a good idea to look around for better deals (especially if money is a bit of an issue), because they're probably out there.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

pierrot wrote:
PretentiousHipster wrote:I'll think about the Sega Saturn. I would be against it if it wasn't for the cartridge that will let it play burnt discs. That way I can experience even the rare games and can at least try out the cheaper ones before deciding on whether or not to purchase them. Plus this way I can play the fan translations on the console. Stuff like the Panzer sequels, Policenaughts fan translation, the various racing games, Decathlete, Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo, and NIGHTS into Dreams already makes it look like it's worth the money.

Well, if you're really compelled to get one, then I guess go for it. I personally love the console, and have more games for it than any other. Here's the thing, though, unless things have changes drastically, that cartridge isn't super special. I never bothered with it, because I installed a modchip in my US Saturn so long ago, but any Action Replay can be flashed to boot backup discs: https://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... +cartridge. (I can't even believe this was from 2014--.) There's probably some better, more recent info on it somewhere on the forums, I'm just not totally sure where.

What are the games with it, by the way? I'm not necessarily trying to discourage you from getting into the Saturn if it's calling to you, but it's potentially a good idea to look around for better deals (especially if money is a bit of an issue), because they're probably out there.

Daytona Usa, Worldwide Soccer, Fifa 97, Jurassic Park The Lost World, NFL Quarterback Club 97 (cib)
Pseudo-Saturn is the modded cartridge
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

PretentiousHipster wrote:
pierrot wrote:

Well, if you're really compelled to get one, then I guess go for it. I personally love the console, and have more games for it than any other. Here's the thing, though, unless things have changes drastically, that cartridge isn't super special. I never bothered with it, because I installed a modchip in my US Saturn so long ago, but any Action Replay can be flashed to boot backup discs: https://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... +cartridge. (I can't even believe this was from 2014--.) There's probably some better, more recent info on it somewhere on the forums, I'm just not totally sure where.

Daytona Usa, Worldwide Soccer, Fifa 97, Jurassic Park The Lost World, NFL Quarterback Club 97 (cib)
Pseudo-Saturn is the modded cartridge

Hmm, $220 CAD seems steep for that lot, even if all the games are all CIB and pristine...at best it is close to what those games/system might cost to buy at high/average prices individually...not seeing much of a bundle discount...
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Yeah, I'd agree. You're not getting a deal there. I would take a hard pass on that, honestly. Daytona USA is a great game, but paying more than $150 Canadian on that would be a mistake, I feel. Also, Pseudo Saturn is just the custom firmware loaded on to Action Replays: https://www.retrorgb.com/pseudo-saturn- ... 6-274.html.

If you're really hot to trot on a Saturn, I'd recommend this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Saturn-Bl ... SwbLJeQgho. Action Replays aren't as cheap as they used to be, but they're still under $40 US, at least, and I feel that the process of installing Pseudo Saturn on it isn't worth the $100 markup, in my opinion anyway.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Thank you so much guys. Sorry for being such a noob at this. I'm sure soft-modding it will be straightforward.