SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Re: Top Ten Sega Genesis Games

by Violent By Design Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:38 pm

Surprised to not see Snatcher on anyone's refined CD lists. Figured it was the stereotypical crowning gem of the console.
Nemoide wrote:My list would DEFINITELY be different if Sega CD games count, I'm a big fan of the system and for as much as I love chiptunes, the redbook audio with 16-bit graphics really appeals to me. Popful Mail, Lunar: Eternal Blue, and Shining Force CD make the cut. I'll also include Ecco the Dolphin which would PROBABLY be on my original Genesis list but I've actually only played the Sega CD version! And I'll throw in Earthworm Jim which would have been on the Genesis list if not for the fact that I prefer the Sega CD! Part of me want to include Sonic CD, but I don't think it CLEARLY unseats Sonic 2 or 3&K.

I have a nostalgic fondness for the 32X but none of the games make the cut. The best things on the system are "pretty good" but nothing's great.

So I guess my new list would be:
  • Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
  • Earthworm Jim: Special Edition
  • Ecco the Dolphin (Sega CD)
  • Lunar: Eternal Blue
  • Phantasy Star IV
  • Popful Mail
  • Shining Force CD
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
  • Streets of Rage

Did you play Shining Force II and if so is there a particular reason why you enjoyed CD more?
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:57 pm

I've never played Snatcher or Dungeon Explorer... maybe eventually.

My biggest reason for including Shining Force CD because I'm playing that right now and it's been a good long while since I played SF II. I think of all the Shining Force games being pretty similar when it comes to gameplay, but the Shining Force CD seems to be longer and has snazzy redbook audio? **shrug** Plus I like how the two main chapters are connected to each other. Even though it's lacking in towns/RPG elements, I'm loving it.
Last edited by Nemoide on Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:52 pm

Snatcher is a very expensive game by a very famous producer, but...it’s just OK, IMO. It’s a little TOO inspired by Blade Runner, and the gameplay is kind of dull.
PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:53 pm

Violent By Design wrote:Surprised to not see Snatcher on anyone's refined CD lists. Figured it was the stereotypical crowning gem of the console.

Well look again. It's a game I like for the atmosphere and characters rather than the gameplay though.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:57 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Snatcher is a very expensive game by a very famous producer, but...it’s just OK, IMO. It’s a little TOO inspired by Blade Runner, and the gameplay is kind of dull.

Pretty much this.

It just ain't that good.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:49 pm

I liked Snatcher all right. It has some cool atmosphere, and tension, even though at times it can be almost shot-for-shot Blade Runner. The last chapter is a little bit of a mess, but I came away from it really liking Randam as a character. I really hated the segments of the game where Gillian is flirting, though; It feels really sleazy to me, and I'm sure that's partly because one of the things I was most invested in, for the majority of the game, was his relationship with Jamie.

The problem with the Sega CD version is that it's the worst version (aside from maybe the PS1 version) of a game that really could never enjoy mass appeal outside of a segment of vintage Japanese PC gamers.

I'm actually a little surprised that Kojima never had Konami put the PC-88 version of Snatcher into something Metal Gear, or something. I would guess that they'd never want to bother to localize it. It does have a whole lot of text to translate.
Jake Armitage
16-bit

by Jake Armitage Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:50 pm

In no particular order:

Master of Monsters
Landstalker
Gemfire
Shining Force I
Shining Force II
Shove It!
Warsong
Phantasy Star II
Super Rampart
Shadowrun

Some of these would be on the list if we include CD games - not sure how many and which genesis games would go.

Lunar Silver Star
Dark Wizard
Shining Force CD
Vay
Lunar Eternal Blue
Third World War
"When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!"
Tempest
16-bit

by Tempest Sat May 11, 2019 10:41 am

1. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
2. Rocket Knight Adventures
3. Gunstar Heroes
4. Phantasy Star IV
5. Ghouls N' Ghosts
6. The Story of Thor
7. Road Rash II
8. Battletoads
9. Virtua Racing
10. Thunderforce IV
marurun

by marurun Sat May 11, 2019 2:35 pm

Really, Virtua Racing, eh? Very bold choice.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sat May 11, 2019 3:14 pm

marurun wrote:Really, Virtua Racing, eh? Very bold choice.

It’s a really awesome racing game that revolutionized video gaming. I don’t know much about the Genesis port, though. I can attest, however, that the PS2 Sega Ages version is fantastic, and I’ve read that the recent Switch port is even better.
Return to Sega