Getting a Genesis collection going

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Re: Getting a Genesis collection going

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I would classify Adventures of Batman & Robin, Ranger-X, and Target Earth as Run 'n Guns. Mega Turrican should also get a mention here. If we are also counting overhead, then you have Twinkle Tale, Rambo III, and MERCS (Definitely check out MERCS, its port is well-done).

Rolling Thunder 2 and 3 are both well worth checking out. Despite the latter being a Genesis exclusive (As in, not released in Japan on the MD), its still a solid action game.

Splatterhouse 3 is a killer game, one of the better Beat 'em Ups on the system. Its US release messed things up though, completely breaking the balance of the game by altering the way your special move works. JP release is the one to pick up, here.

Also worth mentioning in region differences, the Marble Madness JP release is actually not the same game we got here, and was ported by the legendary M2. Killer OST, too. If you like or have an interest in Marble Madness, definitely check out the JP version.

And, since you mentioned liking Jaki Crush, I assume you've checked out Devilish/Bad Omen, another solid pinball game with a great OST.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think a lot of my love for the Genesis these days comes down to value. Sure, the system doesn't have any titles I think can quite compete with Super Mario World or Super Metroid, but almost anything else on the SNES has a rival on Genesis that's almost as good or, in a few cases, a bit better. And probably cheaper. While SNES prices have gone WAY up, Genesis prices have managed to stay at least somewhat reasonable. You can still get a lot of great play time without completely breaking the bank. I have a medium-sized Genesis collection with some notable titles in it, and every game I have is fun to play, IMO. And on the whole, it didn't cost that much to build that collection. It's given me a lot of reward for that moderate investment.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Splatterhouse 3 isn't just a great beat 'em up; it's also a precursor to the Survival Horror genre. Definite must play! I don't have so strong an opinion of JP vs US versions. I think either version is great.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

samsonlonghair wrote:Splatterhouse 3 isn't just a great beat 'em up; it's also a precursor to the Survival Horror genre. Definite must play! I don't have so strong an opinion of JP vs US versions. I think either version is great.

Yeah, I guess I should clarify that the version difference isn't going to stand out to everyone.

If you are a masochist like me, and prefer your games to be on the mean side, then I would say the JP version is what you want. The US's special is so abuse-able, it pretty much breaks the balance of the game once you can pull it off. Not sure why they changed it, as it worked perfectly fine originally, and the game clearly seems balanced around it.

But yes, however you can play it, play it. Its quality.
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

With my luck Jennifer will be a Mindless Beast before I even reach the end of the first room.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

dunpeal2064 wrote:Mega Turrican should also get a mention here.

Seconding this. It honestly might even make my top 10 Genesis games.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

Thinking about getting a "Genesis collection going..."
What's the Japanese Mega Drive collecting scene like these days? Are the exclusive games ridiculously expensive, like American games? Are the expensive American games like El Viento cheaper in Japanese?
I know with American Genesis models, it's easy to find one of the best revisions by getting a Model 1 with "High Definition Graphincs" printed on it. Is there any way to find which Japanese console model is the best? Or at least not the worst?

I'm planning a trip to Japan next year and would like to do SOME retro game-hunting, but I'm afraid of everything being way too pricey to be worthwhile.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Nemoide wrote:What's the Japanese Mega Drive collecting scene like these days?

Not great.

Nemoide wrote:Are the exclusive games ridiculously expensive, like American games?

Are Genesis exclusives getting ridiculously expensive? Most stuff on the Mega Drive was pretty low print in the first place, so it's a bit more work to find stuff, and it tends to be a bit more expensive than a lot of other consoles.

Nemoide wrote:Are the expensive American games like El Viento cheaper in Japanese?

Good heavens, no. El Viento is rare, and also has really great box art on the Mega Drive (like Alisia Dragoon), so-- yeah. Things like Herzog Zwei, and MUSHA used to be relatively reasonable compared to the Genesis versions, but that's not as much the case anymore. I can barely look at Mega Drive stuff anymore, because everything I want at this point is almost ludicrously expensive. I have a few of the premium games, but they're just a few, in a sea of premium games. Even some that I have that weren't premium games when I bought them have assumed a premium.

Nemoide wrote:I know with American Genesis models, it's easy to find one of the best revisions by getting a Model 1 with "High Definition Graphincs" printed on it. Is there any way to find which Japanese console model is the best? Or at least not the worst?

Not really. I lucked out by getting a non-TMSS Mega Drive to go with my non-TMSS Genesis, but the sound isn't quite as good on it (I recapped it, but the audio was unaffected, not too shockingly). I could possibly take some detailed pictures of it, but there's nothing that I know of to really spot the earliest revisions, like the Genesis.
Livelifelove

Post by Livelifelove »

I was actually checking out this tag sale app this morning (you can find good deals). Well they had a (they still do) Genesis 16 bit, with a controller, joystick and approx 7 games for $115. Any thoughts?
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Livelifelove wrote:I was actually checking out this tag sale app this morning (you can find good deals). Well they had a (they still do) Genesis 16 bit, with a controller, joystick and approx 7 games for $115. Any thoughts?

Unless the games are pretty good or sought after, that seems a bit high. Granted, I haven't bought a Genesis in a while, but used to find 'em all the time for $20-$25 with at least one controller and all the hookups. Wouldn't be surprised if its gone up a bit since then, but not quite that high.

What are the games?