Revising Games That Defined the Sega Master System

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
mas
Next-Gen

Re: Revising Games That Defined the Sega Master System

Post by mas »

I just love the master system. I'm still trying to collect the us library and I know I have some pal games that were also for the us. I know it's kind of cheating but I don't mind since I only collect cartridge and that's it.
The only pace I see Master System games is eBay. No other place besides maybe one store but the only have monopoly. eBay is the only place I can shop. No one here or other sites sell master system games because no one really had it.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I think Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar is a good contender for a hidden gem.
I rarely see people talk about it online but It's really a fantastic port of the PC game. The biggest difference is that the dungeons are overhead instead of first-person and the controls have been simplified for a controller rather than a keyboard. Both are welcome changes IMO! It still feels more like a 1980s PC game than anything else and provides a pretty great experience.

I don't *think* it ever got a US release, I've only seen PAL versions.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

The game that defines the Master System to me is Double Dragon. This is where Sega stood apart from Nintendo to deliver on the promise of the arcade experience at home.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Does anyone else from Europe want to help out on the Google Doc for this piece?

I'd love to have some better perspective and wording for the Astrerix, Disney titles and other stuff that didn't affect us in the States.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

racketboy wrote:Does anyone else from Europe want to help out on the Google Doc for this piece?

I'd love to have some better perspective and wording for the Astrerix, Disney titles and other stuff that didn't affect us in the States.

Sorry, I know I was meant to help with this. I promise I will input on this tomorrow! I'll set a reminder and everything!
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

alienjesus wrote:
racketboy wrote:Does anyone else from Europe want to help out on the Google Doc for this piece?

Sorry, I know I was meant to help with this. I promise I will input on this tomorrow! I'll set a reminder and everything!

Haha! No worries -- I figured you had a lot going on -- it happens :)
Thanks for the follow-up!

I tried to work on a lot of your suggestions, so feel free to give it a fresh-look over too!
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Psycho Fox isn't really deserving of being a defining game in my opinion. It's garbage and no way near as popular as Alex Kidd, Sonic, the Mickey/Donald or Asterix games.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Sload Soap wrote:Psycho Fox isn't really deserving of being a defining game in my opinion. It's garbage and no way near as popular as Alex Kidd, Sonic, the Mickey/Donald or Asterix games.

Ok, I think I'm planning on taking that one out and replacing it with those popular PAL titles.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

So I haven't promoted it to the front page yet, but the guide has been updated
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/sms ... ter-system

Thanks to everyone that pitched in!

Let me know if you have any further feedback!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

PresidentLeever wrote:"Asterix and the Secret Mission, which was a direct sequel to this game, developed by Sega, which offered more of the same high quality platforming. The second, Asterix and the Great Rescue, is by Core Design and isn’t worth your time."

To me it's the other way around; SM is a disappointing sequel while TGR is a pretty good euro-style platformer and a bit better than the MD game.

Interesting. You're the first person I've ever hard with this opinion.

Being a bit better than the Mega Drive game isn't exactly high praise though. That game is awful.