Genesis ...yea or nay in the future

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Genesis ...yea or nay in the future

Post by Tanooki »

I've been considering this for a while now, and the Game Gear purge which is well into it on ebay so far, and I'm again looking back on the Genesis.

This is what I have, it's not much but it's the better stuff: http://tanooki.byethost16.com/segagenesis.html

I'm totally in for the DC I'm using, and I have time for that and a little with handhelds and the PC too. With Switch coming and a 50/50 with me or better going in on that, that's more distraction and time off. I feel swamped, but a little of me holds back, not sure why as I never had the Sega as a kid.

Just looking for some non-rose tinted unbiased suggestion on this. The only factor I can throw into it as a monkey wrench would be I know from Atariage a guy who works for ATGames. Sometime this year they have a new Genesis handheld coming, they torched the bad old design and the new one like their latest Atari, Coleco, and Int boxes have very high compatibility, loses the audio and graphics problems, now games can save with no issue, and still has the SD card and TV out option on board.

Is there much of a reason to hold onto that stuff at this rate if you don't care about being console stickler about it?

I'm also on the side looking to off the MK model of that Sega handheld, a couple DS games, and all but 2 if not all my 10~ PS4 games as well as I don't use it other than movies anymore. Guess I"m trying to get a nudge here with some sound reasoning one way or the other. Thanks.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Genesis ...yea or nay in the future

Post by Exhuminator »

Tanooki wrote:Is there much of a reason to hold onto that stuff at this rate if you don't care about being console stickler about it?

Many many years ago I gave away / sold all my 8 and 16 bit stuff, and I've never regretted it. Emulation has perfectly sufficed my needs since then.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

^ Path to the darkside.
miked
128-bit

Post by miked »

Exhuminator wrote:
Tanooki wrote:Is there much of a reason to hold onto that stuff at this rate if you don't care about being console stickler about it?

Many many years ago I gave away / sold all my 8 and 16 bit stuff, and I've never regretted it. Emulation has perfectly sufficed my needs since then.

Pretty much where I am at nowadays. If I can emulate it in some fashion than I am fine. If you have to have that original controller, buy adapters or find usb versions of your favorite pads.

Or just hack a Wii. They are dirt cheap, and have tons of controller options and adapters. Google raphnet. Slightly expensive but great adapters for wii or even gamecube if you want to go wired for less lag. The Genesis emulator for Wii is freaking amazing. Sega CD emulation and everything, and still being updated to this day.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

miked wrote:If you have to have that original controller, buy adapters or find usb versions of your favorite pads.

Yep. A Buffalo SNES pad has served my needs well.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I don't really trust Genesis games on Firecore until proven otherwise.

I know who you're talking about on AtariAge. Keep in mind he works for AtGames marketing. Their 2nd gen emulation has always been reasonably acceptable though even their newest 2600 emulation is absolute crap when compared with Stella.

There are way better ways to go the emulation route.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Yeah I know he could be PR shleping, it crossed my mind, but given the years there I think the older group on that site would have his scalp if he was setting them up for a fall with their product so it's a toss up to me.

I have no attachment to Genesis itself, just a few of the games (dozen?) at most. The others I used got a few hours use, then left to dust out. Never liked their controller button feel or the ratty d-pad, but the 6button is nice. I could easily go emulated (plus) on this with the Retron5 or using my shield tablet.

Mas was mad at me earlier threatning me not to sell the stuff begging to think twice. I've been thinking for 2-3 mo now, the GG sale stalled me. I could easily sell 1/2 my carts and the Genesis and be happy still.

In the end I'm trying to divest myself of most of my collection I didn't have pre-2000 for the non-3D era stuff and post... Gamecube and back. I may buy a PS3 game again some day since I have that as a blu ray player, but I'm looking to drop my 10 PS4 games I don't use (of which 1 is sealed still being Uncharted 4.) I've got too much shit and no time to enjoy it and it bothers me a lot. I can happily write off the bother from the NES, SNES and Gameboy, it's a growing up with it thing, but beyond that the claws are kind of out for a lot of stuff.

I've got around 375 games of which 250~ I won't sell, but the rest I could do it.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I did the exact opposite of Exhuminator. I traded away a lot of my lesser games because I didn't have money, and ended up going out on an eBay binge in its early days and reacquiring everything I used to have. The only thing I really need to re-obtain is an Intellivision and the games I had.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I can't do that, but I did a bit of both until I had the kid. I was kind of like a yo-yo with the stuff as I'd get rid of stuff, then get more, then think I went too far, offload, then offload too much. It got stupid. Now with her around taking up time and other junk I don't have the hours to deal with all the stuff. So now I'm where I'm compartmentalizing stuff.

Bin A are the games I grew up with (+5% at most) I just won't drop and Nintendo stuff GC and before in general that aged well. And then some outliers like the Dreamcast as I was already an adult when it popped up.

Bin B are the rest. It's stuff I'm being antsy or stubborn about just offloading. Perhaps I got some dumb luck involved with a super cheap find (GG) or lucky break on ebay (Genesis) and instead of being rational and selling it off I clung onto it, added a pile of games to try and keep myself interested, and then it rotted out. I want the rot out as it makes it harder for me to enjoy the rest.

The rest would be a third bin, the new. Could be 3DS, could be Switch, could be a PC game, Dreamcast. I get the stuff, but feel swamped as my mind won't let me relax enough to enjoy it as I have a mountain of unused crap. That's really where I'm at.

I just took a knife to the Genesis stuff. I'm keeping 10 games, offloading another 10 along with the system (it, a/v, rf, power, 4 games, 3 controllers) and then 6 other games and I hvae an asciiware fighter stick sg-6 too all for the system. Also just pulled my 10 PS4 games I haven't touched in a year plus relegating that to a movie box as it has been. Pulled 3 Famicom titles as well I don't care about anymore, and 2 SNES games as well I more recently got and tired of fast. (-25 is a nice dent isn't it?)
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Hey, do what you gotta do. Everyone is wired different. I like having a collection, but one day, I may want to sell all my stuff too.

Especially if it makes me independently wealthy. ;)