Replacing My Genesis Model 2

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Replacing My Genesis Model 2

Post by marlowe221 »

My Genesis Model 2 is on the fritz (again). I am looking at replacing it but I'm not sure which way to go about that.

I am aware of all of the various revisions of the 3 models of the console and their pros and cons.

The Model 1s are getting pretty long in the tooth and I have read that many of them really need to be recapped. I am not capable and of that and don't want to buy myself a maintenance project. That said, I know people love them and maybe the capacitor concern is overblown?

There are good Model 2s out there but I know they are relatively rare (but I do know how to ID them). But a lot of them have iffy sound quality and some of them have bad sound quality AND bad video quality.

Then there's the Model 3. I know about its incompatible-ness with the various add ons - but I don't have any of those really. I do have a Game Genie that I use to play Japanese games but the Model 3 can play any that aren't region locked without the GG. Also, the Model 3 also has a good composite signal and clean sound.

I've actually been thinking that a Model 3 might be the way to go but wanted to bounce it off some fellow Sega fans.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
ApolloBoy
128-bit

Re: Replacing My Genesis Model 2

Post by ApolloBoy »

The Genesis 3 doesn't output stereo sound unless you mod it with a Mega Amp or something similar. Honestly I'd go for one of the good Genesis 2s or an older model 1, especially since you can use the 32X or Sega CD if you ever decide to get one of those (or both).
Own: 2600, 2DS, 2DS XL, 360 S, 5200, 7800, 800, 800XL, AES, Amiga 600, C64, C64C, CV, DC, Duo-R, GB, GBA, GBA SP, GBC, GBP, Genesis 2, GG, JP SMS, Lynx, Mark III, Mega CD II, MD, MSX2+, N64, NES, NES top loader, Nomad, PCE, PSX, PS2, RetroUSB AVS, SAT, SFC, SG-1000 II, SMS, SNES mini, Switch, TE, Twin Fami, VIC-20, Wii, XEGS
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Model 1 all day every day, baby. That thing is a sexy beast.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Model one Genesis is built like a tank, Marlowe. This is what I use. I own seven of them - they all work. 8) Yes, you read that right. I am a Genesis hoarder.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

samsonlonghair wrote:Model one Genesis is built like a tank, Marlowe. This is what I use. I own seven of them - they all work. 8) Yes, you read that right. I am a Genesis hoarder.

You're ready to live as a god once the Segapocalypse strikes.

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

The hour is nigh.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Well personally if I were you I'd go with what works best, sounds, best, behaves best -- NON-TMSS launch era Genesis. I read up a bit how people said it has the best visual output and specifically audio, but also that system doesn't have any lockout crap inside. Some systems aren't too friendly with unlicensed third party titles and seeing that I like some of those things like Star Control, I had to go with an original. Yes I know the dumb thing doesn't put out the stereo audio on it unless you use headphones (or mod it) but the trade off is there.
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Post by marlowe221 »

samsonlonghair wrote:The hour is nigh.

Well, that's actually my concern with the venerable Model 1s. Have you experienced any capacitor related issues? How concerned are you - if you are at all - about that kind of thing?

As far as the Model 3 only having mono sound goes... Well, I'm not much of an audiophile and a splitter to make sound come out of both of the crappy speakers on my old CRT would probably do just fine.
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I've never had a problem with my Model 1, and while I'm only one person with one person's experiences, it's not something that I worry about.

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I have a little love for the model 3 since it was the first Genesis I ever owned. But it really is cheesy. I can go on about how there's no power LED, no stereo sound (without modding), no expansion port, it's so light that it gets violently tossed if you pull on the controller, etc. But here's the one thing that really drives me nuts... The power and AV cables plug into the SIDE of the console! Grrr.

So for me, it comes down to the model 1 or the model 2. You already know about the revisions. Personally, I like the look of the model 2 more (I have a 2/3 motherboard revision). You really can't go wrong with either, as long as you don't have one of the revisions with horrible audio.

Capacitors

Get used to it. All of these consoles are getting old. It's not a question of IF, but a question of WHEN they will need new capacitors.