Sonic Adventure seems better than I remember it.

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Anayo
Next-Gen

Sonic Adventure seems better than I remember it.

Post by Anayo »

I got Reicast working on my Nvidia Shield, so I went on a bit of a handheld Sega Dreamcast kick lately. I’m about 8 stages into Sonic Adventure 1.

In the early 2000’s I played a stage or two on the Gamecube version, then lost interest. Today it seems way better than I remember it. I know it catches a lot of flack for the wonky camera and tedious walking and talking in between action stages. But I’m really in love with the bright, colorful set pieces, the rock and roll soundtrack, and the self-referential bits like when Sonic flies through the first stage of Nights into Dreams, or recycled tunes from Sonic 3D blast playing during Windy Valley or Twinkle Park.

Sonic Adventure’s weaknesses grow more obvious the farther you play into the game, but I think it’s way better than Sonic’s more recent titles. The whole thing kinda reminds me of when Freedom Planet was about to come out. I got so excited that my friends got tired of me talking about it. A part of me still wants really badly to be a fan of Sonic, but it's hard to do because he’s taken the same path as Mega Man or Castlevania.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Sonic Adventure seems better than I remember it.

Post by Xeogred »

My dad rented a Dreamcast when it was brand new and that was a thing via Blockbuster. So it was my introduction to the 128bit world. Before the PS2 dropped.

But... all I remember is even as a kid, having a nightmare about seeing Sonic surfing around in a modern plain looking city. Sonic amongst human beings. And whales. And a hub world.

I don't think I've ever made it past the first level. I can only fall through the stage so many times before I break.

It's funny because I don't think my dad rented any other game or anything, but I didn't play much at all. I think my friends and I just immediately went back to playing N64 stuff. No regrets.

To this day, I haven't bothered with the Dreamcast much beyond Power Stone.

There's my story about Sonic Adventure.
(I saw a friend play a lot of 2, didn't look cool either)
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I always felt that was the best of the 3D Sonic games and it slowly went downhill from there, though SA2 to be fair wasn't really all that much worse while #3 (Heroes) was a terribly buggy hot mess.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Bought this game at launch & my mind was blown. I still really enjoy it.
IIRC, no skipping cut scenes. That's rough on replays.

No joke... I had a girlfriend break up with on the phone while I was playing Sonic Adventure. I had JUST unlocked Gold Sonic. I never even pressed pause :P kept on playing!!!

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
jay_red
Next-Gen

Post by jay_red »

The first stage of sonic adventure is amazing, I played the demo as a kid and thought games would never look better than what I was seeing at that time. Once I played the actual game, I found it very hard to get into because of the "in between stuff"
My trade thread, updated 7/14
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30531&p=421248#p421248
IrishNinja
64-bit

Post by IrishNinja »

parts haven't aged too well, but it still plays fun enough & looks good in VGA. that said, i don't think i ever actually finished it...i'd get far and just get stuck, like Big the Cat in that one ship.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I didn't like playing as one character... trying to remember here... is he a fat purple cat looking guy?

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
3DSStrider
64-bit

Post by 3DSStrider »

Sonic Adventure is probably the best of the pre-boost 3D games. It's not a consistently good game, but the good parts are definitely worth playing. It holds a special place in my heart because it's the first video game that I beat all by my self. Plus, the soundtrack is absolutely amazing.
Insert clever quote here.
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/3DSStrider
Let's Play Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuNEFO ... qkaLOHc2nQ
Tempest
16-bit

Post by Tempest »

I loved Sonic Adventure when it was first released and I still love it to this day. It's was a massive expansion of the Sonic universe and while the adventure stages didn't work as well as they could have, they added some good exploration and puzzle-solving variety to the gameplay, unlike the dull BIG stages. The game's problem was its expansiveness wasn't polishable within the game's short development time.

That said, I'm glad they refined and streamlined the experience in Sonic Adventure 2 and focused on the first game's strengths (the action stages and the story), although I could have done without the Knuckles/Rouge stages and some of the Tails ones too.

Everyone whinges about the camera in SA being bad but to be honest, I rarely had a problem with it. The only time that springs to mind is trying to reach the animal capsule in Sky Deck.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I played a lot of Sonic Adventure 1, but due mostly to the fact that it was one of the few games I owned for the DC for a while. I traded my first DC (I eventually got another one) to Funco Land and got my first GCN. One of the first GCN games I had was Sonic Adventure 2. I think the sequel is a lot better than the first one. Though I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy either today. I haven't played them in ages. I've been curious to replay them, and I will eventually.